Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 12 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 12:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digital Copyrights

Gometang
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2010 12:36 |  #1

Hi guys,

I've been doing concert photos for various artists for a non-profit organization for a sequence of summer events. The original agreement was that I would be doing all the photos for free, but if they were to be used on any site they published, that I obviously should be referenced. They sent me an email asking to purchase the digital rights to a subset of those photos, which I assume means they do not need to reference me and can do whatever they wish with those. Another thing is that those photos cannot be used or referenced by myself without the permission of that organization.

My question is: what should I do? I am currently an amateur photog moving towards doing it professionally, so I am in the process of building a portfolio. How much do you guys charge per photo if someone were to buy the copyrights to your stuff?

Thanks!

Gome

sponsored links
bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 12, 2010 12:43 |  #2

if it were me..#1 I would not have been doing the shots for free to start with, #2 I would not sell the copyright, find out exactly what they intend to use the images for, is it a one time deal or multiple usage, I assume they will be used for advertising, find out what type..print web, billboard, etc...then price accordingly for usage..but I would never sell my copyright to a photo.

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

Gometang
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2010 14:24 |  #3

Thanks. That makes absolute sense. As for doing it for free; I had to start somewhere :P

bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 12, 2010 14:38 |  #4

A lot of people say they do it for free to get a start, while the truth is you are setting a value of $0 on your work, and it will make it hard to convince someone you were doing free shots for, that now they have to pay. A strong diverse portfolio will do more to get you started than doing things for free...

My Blog
My Website

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,666 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 12, 2010 14:43 |  #5

Are these photos likely to have any value to you long term? If not, put a price on them. It might make more sense to try to sell the organization a license to use the photos in any way they want and retain the copyright yourself. Everyone wins and you make a little cash. But if thats not an option and your choice is selling the rights to the photos for cash, or getting a credit you should examine how important this particular set of photos is to you in the long run.

Gometang
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2010 14:50 |  #6

Well, the point of doing this particular event for free is to have a strong & diverse portfolio. I would think the effort to expand a portfolio allows you to photograph events and opportunities that might not present itself if you charged a fee, especially if I am starting from ground zero. The truth for me was the ability to expand my portfolio with these events exactly because I offered to do it for free.

@gonzo - the whole point of me doing this was to gain experience and build a portfolio. In the long term, these actual photos mean nothing to me. Thanks for the input :)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,666 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 12, 2010 14:54 |  #7

I meant selling the ones you already took. I dont find anything wrong with shooting for non profits for free as I volunteer my time in other ways as well. I'm also not an absolutist when it comes to retaining copyright as some on here are.. I've got a couple of hard drives worth of shots that I would love to see the copyrights to, only nobody wants them :)

bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 12, 2010 15:00 |  #8

sorry missed the part of non profit..I probably would shoot free for certain non profits...but you can build a great port without shooting free, just takes longer :)

My Blog
My Website

Gometang
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2010 15:01 |  #9

gonzogolf wrote in post #10709673 (external link)
I meant selling the ones you already took. I dont find anything wrong with shooting for non profits for free as I volunteer my time in other ways as well. I'm also not an absolutist when it comes to retaining copyright as some on here are.. I've got a couple of hard drives worth of shots that I would love to see the copyrights to, only nobody wants them :)

Ya, I'm there with you gonzo. Especially with a non-profit, I don't have any issues getting rid of copyrights that helps their organization; they are a great group of people who put out concerts for free throughout the whole summer to the public. Even if I was a pro, if I had the spare time to do it, I think I would still take time to do photos for them for free since quite a few people help out on a volunteer-basis.

Gometang
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 12, 2010 15:03 |  #10

bdpaco wrote in post #10709702 (external link)
sorry missed the part of non profit..I probably would shoot free for certain non profits...but you can build a great port without shooting free, just takes longer :)

Thanks paco. I get what you mean :)

sponsored links

2,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital Copyrights
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.