Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 13 Aug 2010 (Friday) 06:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

anybody tried the iMac 21.5 i3

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 13, 2010 06:47 |  #1

im thinking of getting this for my 5d2 and 7d files. Im running aperture so i guess the hyperthreading will help. Will i see a marginal difference on an i5 or i7. with that i mean a significant change - id be glad to hear from people who actually have tried them or own either... Cheers!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
Moppie
15,051 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 13, 2010 06:55 |  #2

Depends, are you shooting the odd JPEG and doing minimal editing, or shooting a 1000 RAW files and batching processing in as little time as possible?

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 13, 2010 07:05 |  #3

second .....

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Moppie
15,051 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 13, 2010 07:06 |  #4

Then get the i7 :D

flickr (external link)

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 13, 2010 07:08 |  #5

yeah - but i dont want a 27 inch screen..... I was looking at the quad core i5 as an option to the i3 on 21.5 inch screen but the i5 (QC) does not do hyperthreading....

but would not an i3 be quite ok?

Moppie
15,051 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 13, 2010 07:24 |  #6

zincozinco wrote in post #10713679 (external link)
but would not an i3 be quite ok?

Sure, if you don't mind waiting for things to happen.

Remember the iMac range is primarily aimed at consumers who want something that looks pretty, is well built and takes up a small amount of space. It does those things very well, but at the expense of performance, expandability and functionality.

If your processing large numbers of RAW files from a 5D2 and a 7D then you do not fit into Apples target market for the iMac.
Your either going to have to cope with compromises (big screen to get the performance, or small screen but no performance) or your going to have look at other alternatives.

flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 13, 2010 07:26 |  #7

21.5" iMac: 3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

27" iMac: 3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

27" iMac: 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Turbo Boost

There's no 21.5" QC AFAIK.

From here: http://www.apple.com/i​mac/specs.html (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 15, 2010 03:18 |  #8

i was pretty sure that the first release of this models had the i5qc as an option.. I see that they dont any more, but here in spain its quite easy to find older models on shelfs.

thanks guys!! still not sure though....

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 15, 2010 03:20 |  #9

René Damkot wrote in post #10713737 (external link)
21.5" iMac: 3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

27" iMac: 3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4MB level 3 cache; supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost

27" iMac: 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB level 3 cache; supports Turbo Boost

There's no 21.5" QC AFAIK.

From here: http://www.apple.com/i​mac/specs.html (external link)

Im sorry again - which of these 27" would be faster for aperture??

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 15, 2010 07:32 |  #10

The second in terms of cpu. Hyperthreading only gets about a 30% performance boost. For Aperture, upgrade your graphics card to the best available since it uses the gpu cores for its processing.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 15, 2010 14:40 |  #11

thanks, it looks like im going to be 2000 euro shorter - just get the top of the line Imac. Dont know about the huge screen though - ugly as hell.... my wife will kill me... ( Home office)

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 15, 2010 23:06 |  #12

Get a used Mac Pro?

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 17, 2010 02:32 |  #13

I really enjoy mac interface and the nice design of the hardware is a big plus. However i think that with the imac they have gone against the rules of design vs function. I walked away with a 21,5 inch because i cant have a humongous 27 inch. so i had to choose a smaller chip which im sure wont be as good. Ie my mac experience wont be as good as it should....

anyway im a mid happy new imac owner... now im just trying to copy across 4 years of info in some kind of order in the new machine.... from the old imac and the mac book.... headaches headaches....

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 17, 2010 07:45 |  #14

If the older Mac is running OS X, then just connect the two by ethernet or FW (or maybe even wifi) and use Migration Assistant on the new Mac to transfer the files. It preserves settings and accounts, too.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 18, 2010 04:46 |  #15

yeah i know but thats not the thing, i dont want the old settings from the imac - just the mac book and some of the files on the imac - like itunes, and admin stuff... so its all about getting organized.... :)

sponsored links

2,782 views & 0 likes for this thread
anybody tried the iMac 21.5 i3
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.