Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 16:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D for the only the pros?

Fedxpress
649 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 12, 2010 21:43 |  #31

No Pro here, I went from a 40D to a 1D mark IIn to a Mark III.
Do you have to be a pro golfer to have the best clubs?
Do you have to be a pro Tennis player to have a nice racket?
DO you have to be a pro fisherman to have the best boat and tackle?
Do you have to be a pro biker to have the best bike?
Do you have to......... well you get the point!
Buy what you can afford and what you want

Fedxpress

1D Mark III, XTi, 16-35 f2.8L ,24-105 F4.0Lis, 28-135 3.5 is, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8IIL is,100-400, Kenko Pro300, 430EXII

sponsored links
Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 12, 2010 22:32 |  #32

Fedxpress wrote in post #10711818 (external link)
Buy what you can afford and what you want

Fedxpress

Yea!

And do you have to be a race car driver to own a 430 scud?! No sir!

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

turkleten
584 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 13, 2010 00:33 |  #33

7D is for the "rich" who can afford it. You can be an enthusiast and still be able to enjoy it.

Consider this example:
A future driver drives a Lexus LFA (external link). It's a fast car (I hope everyone agrees lol) however, the driver doesn't always have to speed to enjoy it.

::rethinks::

ok ok... bad example.. lol

I think you get the idea.

7D | 50mm ƒ1.4 | 17-50 ƒ2.8
Gear | Feedback

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 13, 2010 07:32 as a reply to  @ turkleten's post |  #34

Dj R wrote in post #10712074 (external link)
And do you have to be a race car driver to own a 430 scud?! No sir!

no, but should you at least track it occasionally and not make it a garage queen?

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 13, 2010 07:37 |  #35

I'm a pro and I have one, but it doesn't mean anything except it's a great camera. Buy what you want and can afford. I may decide tomorrow to stop shooting pro, but I'd keep it anyway.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 13, 2010 07:44 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #36

BH/DW and I both have 7Ds...because photography means so much to us. In fact we did a quick field trip yesterday with them. Great cameras!!!

As for kit lenses....only if that is the only way to afford some glass to shoot with initially. But you can do much better with other choices.

yeffpicme
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 13, 2010 09:01 |  #37

Buying glass instead of the 7d is really what I'm on the fence about. But I figure I would rent lens when I go on trips and stuff and then learn the 7d with the kit lens, 50, and ultra wide angle...

2k is just soooo much money. I def cant afford it cause I could find plenty of places that money should be spent on

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 13, 2010 09:50 |  #38

yeffpicme wrote in post #10714131 (external link)
Buying glass instead of the 7d is really what I'm on the fence about. But I figure I would rent lens when I go on trips and stuff and then learn the 7d with the kit lens, 50, and ultra wide angle...

Can you expand on what the limitations of your shooting are? This helps us to help you find whether glass, or upgrading the body is a better investment.

Some things to think about:
1. Do you find things are too far away? - Longer glass is needed more than new body
2. Do you find you can't get everything in the shot? Wider Glass is needed.
3. You are shooting fast moving things, and you don't have enough time to get the shots you need. Body Upgrade to get higher fps
4. Shooting fast moving things, get enough shots in, but not well focused. Body Upgrade to get better AutoFocus system
5. Currently shooting low light situations, but shutter speed is too slow. This one is tricky, as it can be solved in two ways - faster glass to let in more light (But shallower DOF), or body upgrade to give higher ISO (and better high iso quality).
6. Photos aren't sharp enough. this one is a can of worms, and we'd probably need to see photos to work out what the issue is (might be user error, subject movement, misfocus, bad lense, bad body).

yeffpicme wrote in post #10714131 (external link)
2k is just soooo much money. I def cant afford it cause I could find plenty of places that money should be spent on

In which case - if you can't afford, you can't afford. 2K for a piece of kit is a lot of money to most people (myself included). The XSI is still a very good camera. Perhaps waiting and saving towards it more, may allow you to work out whether glass, or 7D is the better investment.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 13, 2010 10:06 |  #39

No camera is ONLY for Pros.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 13, 2010 10:39 as a reply to  @ alpha_1976's post |  #40

No camera is ONLY for Pros.

Well said. B&H did not want to see my pro business license to sell us the bodies. ;)

Those you can afford more expensive equipment should be thankful. Those that can not should be grateful others do it. It is the pressure on the higher end equipment to delivery more (quality, features) for less....that allows such things as advanced AF to trickle down to less expensive camera bodies. We all end with competition on the high end does trickle down.

Let us all be thankful we can afford ANY DSLR in this economy!!!!

yeffpicme
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 13, 2010 11:07 |  #41

Some things to think about:
1. Do you find things are too far away? - Longer glass is needed more than new body
2. Do you find you can't get everything in the shot? Wider Glass is needed.
3. You are shooting fast moving things, and you don't have enough time to get the shots you need. Body Upgrade to get higher fps
4. Shooting fast moving things, get enough shots in, but not well focused. Body Upgrade to get better AutoFocus system
5. Currently shooting low light situations, but shutter speed is too slow. This one is tricky, as it can be solved in two ways - faster glass to let in more light (But shallower DOF), or body upgrade to give higher ISO (and better high iso quality).
6. Photos aren't sharp enough. this one is a can of worms, and we'd probably need to see photos to work out what the issue is (might be user error, subject movement, misfocus, bad lense, bad body).

I like you you asked some questions help me come to a conclusion on whats really important here.

1. I have a zoom lens 55-200 its the basic Canon that came with my XSI
2. I did get a Sigma 10mm-20mm to take those wide angle shots which are my fav to take
3. I do get annoyed when I cant take pics of animals moving ie. I practice on squirels
4. The moving objects always look blurry. (I thought this was a function of the glass taking shots at f/4-5.6
5. I got a flash for low light and that helps. But sometimes I take pics at night of cars and hate using a flash and like the higher ISO but dont like the grainy aspect.
6. My pics can always be sharped. I need to learn to use a tripod because I think the blurryness comes from me moving my camera when I use say f/8 and the shutter is at 1/60- 1 second.

Thanks for those questions. I hope the answers shed more light on my and peoples situations when they upgrade from an XSI to a 7D.

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 13, 2010 11:22 |  #42

So I guess we can have an 1D PRO body and not be a pro photog, while some pro photog's have the
7D and do PRO work for a living...right.?
I have the 40D & 50D and thinking about upgrading...to 1dmkiii or 7D.. so far my 40 and 50 has made me enough money to upgrade..
but which new body..???

Joe

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,615 posts
Gallery: 131 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 13, 2010 11:27 |  #43

Put a 5d, 5dmkII, 7d, 1dsmkIII, 1dmkIII on print. Without having a reference of the prints by comparing the bodies I think majority will be pleased. On the computer screen you will see the diff but the "client/family" getting prints probably cant tell the diff.

Now the question is MP. Lotsa megapixel may help the photog crop more to get a desired composition that was not done when the shutter button was pressed.

A decent body and a great photographer will create wonderful captures. Throw some money at the camera store and buy whatever you like pro or not. I'm a hobbyist that spends hard earned money at a hobby. Memorable photos that i've taken of loved ones that are now gone has put a new perspective in my life. Photography to me is now very important.

The features of the 7d with low noise at high ISO is desired by anyone in the dslr world.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 13, 2010 11:32 |  #44

AlanU,

Amen to that...The features of the 7d with low noise at high ISO is desired by anyone in the dslr world. How does your 1dmkiii handle low noise and high iso.? see my post above yours..

thanks
Joe300

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 13, 2010 13:00 |  #45

AlanU wrote in post #10714829 (external link)
Now the question is MP. Lotsa megapixel may help the photog crop more to get a desired composition that was not done when the shutter button was pressed.

The features of the 7d with low noise at high ISO is desired by anyone in the dslr world.

Good point.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

sponsored links

10,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D for the only the pros?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.