Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 02 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bird feeder Question

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 06, 2010 10:03 |  #16

Not been doing much photography recently, long story, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

sponsored links
scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 13, 2010 12:40 |  #17

artyman wrote in post #10671473 (external link)
The poor old sparrow has seen a big decline here in the UK, also our native red squirrel has been pushed out by your grey, and the US signal crayfish is decimating our natural crayfish, so the traffic isn't just one way ;)

I agree with you Ken - but this sparrow thingy pops up every year and Mitch jumps on his hobby-horse and has his little rant. Reckon it sets him up for the cold weather ahead ;)
No hard feelings Mitch, oh yeah, they like their peanuts chopped up a bit :lol:

Such friendly little chaps:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 13, 2010 12:53 |  #18

I love it when cold weather gets here. These nasty little customers die like flies from the cold, and to tell you the truth, it's a relief. Do you have roaches over there? Do you let them take over your house, or do you whatever it takes to clean them out? House Sparrows, with no natural check, are the same thing as roaches in your house. They run off or kill all our little native sparrows, they hog the feeders and they breed 4 or 5 times a summer. It would be one thing if they just nested once and didn't go from 2 lone birds in late winter to 40 plus birds by the end of August. So when I talk about them, it's not a rant, it's a warning to the unwarry. Don't feed them or they will take over your yard. Personally, I feel that not many Americans would miss them if they all got on a plane and flew back to England.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 13, 2010 16:33 |  #19

Perhaps if you have a moment you could pop over and round up your grey squirrels :lol:

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 13, 2010 16:57 |  #20

They are your squirrels, do what you want with them. Not sure why you imported them, but squirrels weren't meant to be let loose in the park, they were meant to be hunted and eaten. Pretty tastey too if you bake them right. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 13, 2010 17:02 |  #21

By the way, I think you got the best of that trade, unless you have a good no pluck recipe for Sparrow.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

chopper5654
Goldmember
2,432 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 15, 2010 09:44 |  #22

You guys are funny.

As for my House Sparrows, I didn't have much of a problem in recent years. But, I haven't fed them like this year. I also built a house for my wrens, hopefully, and had the hole right. However, my side vents were large enough that the HSparrows got there first and moved in. They are now on clutch 5, and are incredibly successful little parents. They don't seem to bother the seed in the yard much, but man o man can they breed.

FWIW, I had some Starlings (maybe that will keep Mitch fired up) nesting in a tree near my house. They took a rotten branch from the House Sparrows. Well, I surprised them one evening when I climbed a ladder and blasted that branch with my baseball bat! It was like a Starling explosion. They all caught flight before they hit the ground, but it sure was funny to imagine that wake up call. (There was no intent to kill the birds when I did that. I was only trying to rattle the branch. I had no idea it would just shatter like that.)

http://throughmyeyes-choppography.blogspot.​com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chipnjo_99/ (external link)
http://backyardbirdgar​dner.wordpress.com/ (external link)
Straightening...lol. Every time I straighten the horizon, I hang the picture crooked.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 15, 2010 10:32 |  #23

I have wanted to find a juvie Starling in spring to raise as a pet. They make excellent pets and can learn to talk. Do a search for talking starlings on YouTube. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

chopper5654
Goldmember
2,432 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 15, 2010 17:49 |  #24

canonloader wrote in post #10725090 (external link)
I have wanted to find a juvie Starling in spring to raise as a pet. They make excellent pets and can learn to talk. Do a search for talking starlings on YouTube. ;)

kind of funny, but i still dont want one....lol.

Straightening...lol. Every time I straighten the horizon, I hang the picture crooked.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 15, 2010 18:11 |  #25

You could teach it to cuss and then put it in the window to screach and curse the other ones outside, drive them away. :lol:

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

chopper5654
Goldmember
2,432 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 16, 2010 00:09 |  #26

canonloader wrote in post #10727048 (external link)
You could teach it to cuss and then put it in the window to screach and curse the other ones outside, drive them away. :lol:

made me laugh because i can suddenly hear.....polly want a cracker, you bastards, now get the F@*!! out of here, sparrow immigrant azzholes....in my head.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 16, 2010 04:14 |  #27

Yup. LOL, that's about what I had in mind. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 16, 2010 04:30 |  #28

canonloader wrote in post #10716603 (external link)
By the way, I think you got the best of that trade, unless you have a good no pluck recipe for Sparrow.

When I was a kid during the last war and meat was very scarce, a mate and I trapped starlings in the garden - you just need a hole in the soil, a wired frame, a stick to prop up the frame and a long piece of string. You put bread in and around the hole; when you see about a dozen drop in you pull the string; the frame drops, and you got 'em.

Plucked, gutted and roasted with a few roast spuds, you had a meal fit for a King.

David.

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 16, 2010 04:39 |  #29

How did they taste? I grew up on the farm and was pretty much an outside type person, starting my camping out career at like 10 or 11. I would shoot pigeons from the silo, skin and cook them over my little campfire. Makes my mouth water just telling about it. In the city, I don't see how any homeless person can go hungry. Never thought of starlings though, cause we also had millions of those. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2010 04:42 |  #30

canonloader wrote in post #10729741 (external link)
How did they taste? I grew up on the farm and was pretty much an outside type person, starting my camping out career at like 10 or 11. I would shoot pigeons from the silo, skin and cook them over my little campfire. Makes my mouth water just telling about it. In the city, I don't see how any homeless person can go hungry. Never thought of starlings though, cause we also had millions of those. :)

who would have thought... thems pigeons are so yummy...

had em first time in china... and i was surprised...

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

sponsored links

4,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bird feeder Question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.