Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jul 2010 (Friday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just got my 7D back from Canon.

Mastrchang
61 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 23, 2010 20:39 |  #16

agphotography wrote in post #10592561 (external link)
The Quick control button on the back, not exactly convenient, but I didn't know of another way to do it quickly.

Ah. I was the other way, I didn't know there was another way to do it. LOL

7d, 1000d, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f4L, 50 f1.8, 18-55kit, 430exII
http://www.wix.com/HTj​Photography/tg (external link)

sponsored links
agphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 23, 2010 21:33 |  #17

merlin2375 wrote in post #10592572 (external link)
Can you show us some of the samples (with exif)? It may help...

Sure, You'll have to excuse the uneventful subject matter.

This was one I considered OK until viewed at 100%, 1/125 @ f/4 ISO 640. I used the 100mm f/2.8 Macro, It's not as sharp as I would like, but it looks ok at web sizes. This hasn't been edited, I think the grain is definitely acceptable for ISO640, ironically it looks better than ISO 100, I'll post one of those later.

The first is the full frame, and the second is a center crop (should be close to 100%)

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4822849328_d094eeaf3d_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4822232985_30563b8419_b.jpg

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 23, 2010 21:40 |  #18

*sigh* Pixel peeping.

:lol:

Get a longer lens if you need to crop all way down to 100%. You're not using the right tool for the job.

That said, 1/125s is a bit slow for the 100. It should be 1/ (FL * (crop-factor)) so you should be at 1/160s minimum to expect relative sharpness from handshake. Then you'd have to factor in whether there was any breeze/wind, or possibly birds on the branches that may have caused very minute, yet fast vibrations.

I'm not implying that this image would be crystal sharp given the most ideal conditions... but take the same shot with your 5d2 + 100, then crop the same FoV and blow-it-up to match the 7D and compare how the 5d2 image looks.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

agphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 24, 2010 13:02 |  #19

Julian,

I know Pixel Peeping is like a cardinal sin, I try not to indulge, I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible with the camera because my first experience shooting with it was less than stellar.

Anyways, long story short, Canon found something wrong with the AF system, something to do with the electronics, and after testing today I'm much more confident in the camera's abilities. I'm no BIF master, especially considering my longest lens is a 70-200, but I try my hand from time to time and I was able to get some decently sharp shots today. The ones that were out of focus were my fault because I'm not great at tracking these speedy guys!

All-in-all, I feel better about the camera now, I can just start using it and learn it's systems w/o having to fret over a bogus AF system.

Moral of the story? If your camera isn't what you expect, take it to Canon and they'll take care of it.

-Abram-
Tumblr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 24, 2010 13:24 |  #20

Indeed. I certainly hope that whatever Canon found/did was able to fix your camera and allow it to perform better. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 24, 2010 13:50 |  #21

Is there a pixel-peepers anonymous group here?

popular video--seems to show up a lot here...

My Gearlist

agphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 13, 2010 15:06 |  #22

I'm going to update my own thread here instead of polluting other threads.

I was still unhappy with the 7D's performance after trying numerous times to get good clean images from it. Occasionally I would get some good shots, but I've never had so much trouble nailing focus with any camera before (not even the 1DmkIII with its tempermental AF)

Long story short: I figured I would just take it back to Canon again, I did so yesterday.

They called me this morning and I went to pick it up, (I love 1 day turnaround :D). They replaced the whole sensor this time! I have to say, I am much happier with the camera now. The AF seems to be spot on (except for 1 lens, but I'm trying to figure out whats up with that one) and the grain at low ISO is much more in line with what I was expecting (I was expecting some grain because of the sensor size and MP density but I was getting seriously excessive amounts of it at ISO 100)

So all in all, I'm glad I took it in again, and once I figure out what's going on with my 24L on this camera (works fine on my 5DmkII) then I'll be perfectly happy,

-Abram-
Tumblr (external link)

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 13, 2010 15:16 |  #23

Can you show the noise that you were talking about?
maybe a couple of them at different iso.
I want to compare it to mine. See if mine need to be send in as well.

thanks

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

agphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 13, 2010 16:05 |  #24

I don't have any direct comparisons, but i'll PM you what I have.

I just took this outside a few minutes ago, AF had no trouble locking onto this guy, it definitely would have before.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4888654257_97520cfa1b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …agphotography/4​888654257/  (external link)
Hunting the Dragonfly by agphotography, on Flickr (external link)

-Abram-
Tumblr (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 13, 2010 16:09 |  #25

agphotography wrote in post #10716025 (external link)
So all in all, I'm glad I took it in again, and once I figure out what's going on with my 24L on this camera (works fine on my 5DmkII) then I'll be perfectly happy,

Glad to hear Canon was able to do something positive for your 7D. Still curious why your 24L is being temperamental and not playing nice w/ your 7.

I had some down time and I took some silly photos here at work at f/1.4 (24+7 combo). I'll post them when I get home.

The only struggles I have (occasionally) is that my camera (and I'm assuming many others) suffers from front/back focusing issues with varying/changing light. For instance, incandescent lighting, my camera would tend to front focus. And with CFL/fluorescent, back focus. Not quite sure why this is but it is what it is. :lol: I just need to remember to look at the whole photo and the subject matter (typically my 6.5 month old son) and I couldn't be happier.

Pixel-peeing is bad for my health so I choose not to peep. :)

Julian

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 13, 2010 16:36 |  #26

damn this is good.. do they have one for the 5DMK2?

like the OP, when focusing using the center focus point on my 5DMK2, the subject i focus on, if it's a small letter, it will come out blurry when viewing it at 100%.

don't know why.. cuz on the same lens (50mm f1.4, shot at f1.4) but on my 30D, the same small letter would be sharp at 100%. :rolleyes:

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

chrisb321
241 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 13, 2010 17:25 |  #27

EOS mE wrote in post #10716498 (external link)
don't know why.. cuz on the same lens (50mm f1.4, shot at f1.4) but on my 30D, the same small letter would be sharp at 100%. :rolleyes:

Same here (when indulging in the pixel peeping sin). 100% were sharp on the 30D but never as sharp on the 7D. You can also clearly see this when viewing the whole picture too in many cases.

Maybe it's the extra MP. This week i've started to shoot in mraw to see if there is any improvement.

Camera : 7D : S100 : Sig10-20 : 50 1.8 : 17-55 2.8IS
http://www.chrisbatesp​hoto.com/ (external link)http://www.chrisbatesp​hoto.com/ (external link)

agphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 13, 2010 18:25 |  #28

Well to my understanding the 7D has one of the strongest AA filters of any Canon DSLR to-date. The original 1D and the original 5D both had very weak AA filters which made them razor sharp bodies. I originally felt that the 5DmkII wasn't as sharp as my 1DmkIII was, but after buying one and using it, I've been more than happy with it.

I'm very grateful that Canon didn't just turn me away, that they actually did evaluate my camera and agreed something wasn't right. They really made an effort and I appreciate it very much.

I can now comfortably use the 7D for my work and not worry about AF or ISO issues.

PS - even if I pixel peep that dragonfly, I'm still happy :). That's a good thing.

-Abram-
Tumblr (external link)

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 13, 2010 18:27 |  #29

Subscribing

My FLickrPage (external link)

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 13, 2010 18:34 |  #30

agphotography wrote in post #10716965 (external link)
Well to my understanding the 7D has one of the strongest AA filters of any Canon DSLR to-date. The original 1D and the original 5D both had very weak AA filters which made them razor sharp bodies. I originally felt that the 5DmkII wasn't as sharp as my 1DmkIII was, but after buying one and using it, I've been more than happy with it.

I'm very grateful that Canon didn't just turn me away, that they actually did evaluate my camera and agreed something wasn't right. They really made an effort and I appreciate it very much.

I can now comfortably use the 7D for my work and not worry about AF or ISO issues.

PS - even if I pixel peep that dragonfly, I'm still happy :). That's a good thing.

so how did they fix your 7D? by making the AA filter weaker?

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

sponsored links

6,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just got my 7D back from Canon.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.