Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 28 Feb 2006 (Tuesday) 02:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

photographergirl
84 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 13, 2010 23:33 |  #2926

This is my new favorite lens. It used to be my 85mm but now its the 70-200 f4L.

File info

Canon 40D
1/40 sec
Aperture priority
f/4
ISO 800
focal length 126mm

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i93.photobucket​.com …l71/slingnau/IM​G_7258.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i93.photobucket​.com …l71/slingnau/IM​G_7263.jpg (external link)

http://i93.photobucket​.com …l71/slingnau/IM​G_7277.jpg (external link)

Website (external link) Facebook (external link) Gear: Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 28-135mm f/4-5.6, Canon 430EX II Flash w/ Gary Fong Diffuser

sponsored links
Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,954 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 14, 2010 04:21 |  #2927

photographergirl wrote in post #10718288 (external link)
This is my new favorite lens. It used to be my 85mm but now its the 70-200 f4L. I shoot this in AV which I NEVER shoot in. It was around 8pm sun is sitting to the right of me and setting fast. Shooting on AV helped make the camera think it was 6pm. Why my son thinks he needs to put the loser sign over his head every time I ask him to pose is beyond me.

File info

Canon 40D
1/40 sec
Aperture priority
f/4
ISO 800
focal length 126mm
Continuous burst mode to make sure to get a sharp image.

No tripod hand held sitting on the grass using my knee as a tripod to steady myself.

There are some things I don't understand here.
1. Why would you use AV on this lens and not the others?
2. Why does AV make the camera think it's two hours earlier?
3. How does continuous burst mode ensure a sharp image?

RAW-Shooter
908 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 14, 2010 12:55 |  #2928

Roy Mathers wrote in post #10719180 (external link)

I cannot speak to 1 and 3 - I'm confused by this also.

#3 however, makes sense and I use the same "trick". If the shutter speed gets to low for my hand holding skills, I just shoot at the fastest rate. One of the 10,20 or 30 shots will be the keeper I am looking for.

BoKo
Olympus OM-D E-M1X | Oly 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD | Oly 40-150 f/2.8 PRO | Oly 300mm f/4 PRO | and a bunch of good old manual lenses

Stuntman ­ Mike
268 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 14, 2010 13:01 as a reply to  @ RAW-Shooter's post |  #2929

http://i738.photobucke​t.com …anMikeATL/potd/​OH_HAI.jpg (external link)

http://i738.photobucke​t.com …MikeATL/potd/IM​G_3888.jpg (external link)

EOS M3 | 5DmkII | 60D | 14mm f/2.8 | 17-40mmf/4 L | 17-55mm f/2.8 | Σ 35mm f/1.4 | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 L II | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | 135 f/2 L | 2X EF III
Flickr (external link) | Gear

kissel
157 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 14, 2010 13:46 |  #2930

Roy Mathers wrote in post #10719180 (external link)

Answer to #2 may be that in Av mode camera is trying to ensure the object is properly exposed. It has absolutely no idea you want your image underexposed, so just let it know about it by adjusting exposure, or simply use M mode.

Nikon D3 and stuff

cobra671
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 14, 2010 20:11 |  #2931

Hey all, I just bought a used one today and I was wondering how do most of you shoot with this lens, hand hold or pods? If hand holding, I need to work a little harder on being steady. I really suck at this. :(

RAW-Shooter
908 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 14, 2010 22:17 |  #2932

photographergirl wrote in post #10721089 (external link)
I don't understand number 1. Why does it matter what mode you shoot in with any lens? Each lens is not designed for certain camera settings. This is really up to the user. I use Manual 100% of the time because I like full control of my settings. But last night I could not get the lighting I wanted and decided to give AV a try. They reason why I said AV makes the camera think its 2 hrs earlier is because the camera set every for me. It chose the right camera settings to shoot in which was perfect. I did adjust the shutter a little but left my fstop at 4 and my iso at 800. Remember I am shooting at 8-8:30 pm and the sun is way on the other side of the town and behind buildings.

I also hate on camera flash and my external still needs to be sent to Canon to be fixed. Daughter dropped it and it needs new bulbs. Every thing else on the flash works fine. Just wont flash.

As for continuous if you ever shoot any thing moving at a fast rate or even children for that matter you would know that continuous mode which is rapid fire and you holding you holding the shutter button down while your camera is click click clicking away. Out of the serious of images you just captured you will have several or one or two that are sharp and exactly what you want. This I don't use often only on fast moving toddlers and if my shutter is low and I am to lazy to get my tripod. Which my tripod was in the car with my husband off some where else and my knee makes a perfect steady foundation.

Very confusing and patronizing as well...

BoKo
Olympus OM-D E-M1X | Oly 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD | Oly 40-150 f/2.8 PRO | Oly 300mm f/4 PRO | and a bunch of good old manual lenses

Stuntman ­ Mike
268 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 15, 2010 03:28 |  #2933

cobra671 wrote in post #10722517 (external link)
Hey all, I just bought a used one today and I was wondering how do most of you shoot with this lens, hand hold or pods? If hand holding, I need to work a little harder on being steady. I really suck at this. :(

I do both. Give it a little time and practice.

EOS M3 | 5DmkII | 60D | 14mm f/2.8 | 17-40mmf/4 L | 17-55mm f/2.8 | Σ 35mm f/1.4 | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 L II | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 | 135 f/2 L | 2X EF III
Flickr (external link) | Gear

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,954 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 15, 2010 05:16 |  #2934

photographergirl wrote in post #10721089 (external link)
I don't understand number 1. Why does it matter what mode you shoot in with any lens? Each lens is not designed for certain camera settings. This is really up to the user. I use Manual 100% of the time because I like full control of my settings. But last night I could not get the lighting I wanted and decided to give AV a try. They reason why I said AV makes the camera think its 2 hrs earlier is because the camera set every for me. It chose the right camera settings to shoot in which was perfect. I did adjust the shutter a little but left my fstop at 4 and my iso at 800. Remember I am shooting at 8-8:30 pm and the sun is way on the other side of the town and behind buildings.

I also hate on camera flash and my external still needs to be sent to Canon to be fixed. Daughter dropped it and it needs new bulbs. Every thing else on the flash works fine. Just wont flash.

As for continuous if you ever shoot any thing moving at a fast rate or even children for that matter you would know that continuous mode which is rapid fire and you holding you holding the shutter button down while your camera is click click clicking away. Out of the serious of images you just captured you will have several or one or two that are sharp and exactly what you want. This I don't use often only on fast moving toddlers and if my shutter is low and I am to lazy to get my tripod. Which my tripod was in the car with my husband off some where else and my knee makes a perfect steady foundation.

You say you don't understand my first question and yet it was you who said 'I shoot this in AV which I NEVER shoot in'. Therefore, my question ( Why would you use AV on this lens and not the others? ) is perfectly reasonable.

As for the other questions, AV doesn't fool the camera into thinking it's a couple of hours earlier - it simply adjusts the exposure the same way as does TV, M or P. I didn't understand the relevance of your comments about your broken flash.

Lastly, I don't need a lecture about what continuous shooting is. I am perfectly aware of what it is and what it does - and I have used it many times myself. My point was that continuous mode does not necessarily guarantee sharp results. For instance, if the shutter speed is too slow for the subject movement (or camera movement) it doesn't matter how many shots you take in burst mode, they will all be soft. My query was to the effect that to imply that 'continuous burst mode' ensures a sharp image is wrong.
In fact, the pictures you posted are not the sort for which you would use burst mode, a good camera technique being probably more likely to get you sharp results(eg the shutter speed was far too slow for the focal length used))

cobra671
340 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 15, 2010 09:17 |  #2935

Stuntman Mike wrote in post #10724058 (external link)
I do both. Give it a little time and practice.

Thanks Stuntman! Perhaps I should switch to decaf? :)

Pauly_G
344 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 15, 2010 10:27 |  #2936

A few shots from the Vattenfall Cyclassics in North Germany earlier today.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4893620919_419979ee6d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pauly-g/4893620919/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4894213594_7ac82c5b3c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pauly-g/4894213594/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4893620371_a4a5d1ac9f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pauly-g/4893620371/  (external link)

flickr (external link)
Gear: EOS 7D / 40D / Sigma 10-20mm, 30mm f1.4 / Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS / 70-200mm f4L / 400mm f5.6L / Speedlite 430EX II

JPayne
527 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 16, 2010 02:54 |  #2937

Bump the ISO and use a faster shutter speed if handholding. ISO800 or even 1600 isn't uncommon for me with this lens. So long as you expose the shot correctly you shouldn't notice the noise particularly. A noisy shot is better than a blurry one.

Canon 5D MKII | Canon 24-105L | Canon [COLOR="Blue"]70-200mm F4L IS |Canon 50mm F1.8 |Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro | Canon 430exII
www.jpayne.co.uk (external link)
www.jpayneblog.co.uk (external link)

markhyo
554 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2010 03:07 |  #2938

When it comes to hand holding to avoid blur the rule of thumb is to make sure your shutter speed is no slower than the focal length of the lens. For instance if you're zoomed in at 200mm your shutter should be no slower than 1/200. If you're using a crop sensor camera you will actually have to shoot a bit faster to compensate for the zoom effect of the crop. On the XXD cameras there's a crop factor of 1.6x. Multiply 1/200x1.6x and your minimum shutter is 1/320. Like suggested bumping up your ISO can help you achieve a suitable hand held shutter speed. Other options may be to use a flash to freeze motion and of course a tripod/monopod. One other option is a poor man IS; a piece of string that doesn't stretch tied to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera (I've tied the string to the latch on the tripod plate). Place a big metal washer at the other end of the string and step on it to pull it tight. This will help minimize up and down motion of your camera and lens. Plus it takes up no space in your camera bag!

Mark W EOS 70D, 60D, Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon 40mm f/2.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 8mm Fisheye, Pentax 55mm f/1.8 M42 (For Sale)
http://www.markwphoto.​com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/markwphoto/ (external link)
Check out our YouTube videos @ http://www.youtube.com​/user/markhyo?feature=​guide (external link)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,954 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 16, 2010 04:22 |  #2939

Ninety per cent hand-held.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 16, 2010 08:55 as a reply to  @ Roy Mathers's post |  #2940

This thread is for images, not chit chat about photography. Please use the appropriate sections of the forum for that!

To bring this thread back on topic.

1DMKII, 1.4x TC, 1/400, f/4, ISO 1250

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

2,692,707 views & 683 likes for this thread
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.