Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 14:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

best place to sell

StellaBean
276 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 14, 2010 14:02 |  #1

I've decided to sell my 5D classic. I'm paranoid about getting scammed though. other than this forum, where else could I sell?

any tips on safe selling? packaging ideas?

~Jennifer~
5D|40D|17-50mm f/2.8|28-75mm f/2.8|[COLOR=Black]50mm f/1.4|70-200mm L f/4 IS|430EX

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 14, 2010 14:04 |  #2

fredmiranda.com

David W.

vrsixer
183 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 14, 2010 14:15 |  #3

Local cash deal at a public place via Craigslist. No shipping, no fees, both parties walk away knowing what they got.

DigiBill
270 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 14, 2010 14:22 |  #4

I just tried Craigslist for the first time last week. It works, but do as the others say.....public place and cash. Also, be prepared to get some strange emails.

Please feel free to visit our RV Website
http://rv.billdiana.co​mexternal link

vrsixer
183 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 14, 2010 14:24 |  #5

Read up on how to sell on Craigslist. If you get emails asking if the item is available without any contact info, delete it. If you get emails asking to ship the item, delete it. Just learn how to filter out all the spam and you should be okay.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,961 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 14, 2010 14:59 |  #6

I can tell you where not to sell it: e-bay

Always get insurance and signature confirmation when using Paypal.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 14, 2010 15:02 |  #7

I've had good experiances here. Just go ahead and list and see if you can sell it. CL is good to if you know what to expect in advance. I'm in Texas and they have a Texas forum I use sometimes. However, some of the listings there are the same as POTN.

Some Stuff

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 14, 2010 17:43 |  #8

Man oh man do I hate using Craigslist to sell things. Maybe it was just the area I was living in, but even after weeding through the scam replies, the actual interested buyers were such flakes. Setting meetings and getting no shows has become my #1 pet peeve.

Neil

woehlerking
456 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 14, 2010 21:55 as a reply to  @ Nightdiver13's post |  #9

I use craigslist all the time and have not
(until now had a problem).
The one thing I do like to do is talk to the person on the phone and get a feel for who they are how sincere they are.

gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p=10063848&post​count=2316

vid1900
557 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 14, 2010 22:52 |  #10

CL is great!

Just say in your ad that replies must have the word "slugworth" in the title AND an evening phone number in the body or you will not respond.

This gets rid of 99% of the spam. Spammers can't understand your instructions, so they always just ask "Is the item still available?".

Deal local only, cash only, public place only.

I've never had a bad transaction on CL; because I keep my eyes open.

No bragging list - I just rent whatever the job requires.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 14, 2010 22:54 |  #11

I think it depends on the item. I had a couple of lenses that got lukewarm responses here and on Craigslist but sold for full price on eBay. Sure, there were eBay and PayPal fees but the transactions were easy.

I'd try all of them, starting with Craigslist for a day or two (Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone nearby came over immediately and payed full price?) then here and Fred Miranda (Wouldn't it be wonderful if a trustworthy fellow POTN'er was looking for a 5d?) and finally, if nothing else works, eBay (isn't it wonderful that there is an easy way to reach tens of thousands of potential buyers?)

If you have a "commodity" item like a 5D and have a reasonable title for your listing, you are almost guaranteed full price on eBay so don't be afraid to start the bidding at 99 cents. I've found that fairly concise descriptions seem to attract more bidders than super-detailed ones. Search for completed auctions of 5D's to get a feel for which titles and descriptions attracted the highest prices.

Haha, here's what I put at the bottom of my last Craigslist posting:

Real People Only: I won't reply to your email unless I think that you're a real person who really wants to buy this lens. Please include something like your name, where you live, and/or what kind of camera you plan on using this lens with. If I think you're a real person, I'll reply with similar information so that you'll know I'm a real person too.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

smacatl
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 14, 2010 23:30 |  #12

+1 for Craigslist followed by this Forum.

In addition to the previous suggestions, I would add having a separate email just for you CL transactions. That keeps you primary email from getting cluttered up with spam responses.

Most important of all when dealing with strangers - trust your gut and stay safe!

Good luck

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

sponsored links

1,213 views & 0 likes for this thread
best place to sell
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.