Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 12:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D vs. 5Dc for Landscapes "Test"

MNUplander
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 14, 2010 15:17 |  #16

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10720909 (external link)
as for which wins this contest? The 40D wins to my eye as well, but I think it's 100% due to the timing, there's way more "golden" light across the rocks in the foreground.

This. Thats why I havent thrown in the towel for the 5Dc just yet. Ideally I should get two tripods going and take the same pic at the same time to avoid this...

The 5D is probably the better camera, but for my purposes the 40D and crop format in general may be good enough...

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

sponsored links
luigis
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 14, 2010 15:25 |  #17

I did a very similar test some time ago but my results were different:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

The first shot was taken with a Canon S2IS, The second shot was taken with a Canon S2IS.
From the test I concluded that the S2IS was sharper, had more contrast and took better pictures than itself.

From the same photos it's easy to extrapolate that if the 40D can be better than a 5D then a 30D can be better than a 50D. We know the 30D can be better than itself and since the 50D is equal to the 50D then the 30D must be better.

Take my "test" with a grain of salt as the conditions were not exactly the same in both shots.

www.luisargerich.com (external link)
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitter (external link)
My Awesome Gear List

tudragan
318 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 14, 2010 15:43 |  #18

this thread makes me feel better about my 40D. I like the picture from the 40D better, but there definitely visible noise. I also like the color on the rocks more, but that might be due to the amount of present light.

What did you have to do different for the post processing?

_Jonathan

Gear List
Jonathandinh.wordpress​.com <- check out my new blog

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 14, 2010 16:17 as a reply to  @ tudragan's post |  #19

I would be happy with either shot.

Gear List

Davie82
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 14, 2010 16:34 |  #20

malla1962 wrote in post #10721558 (external link)
I would be happy with either shot.

+1

Interesting to see how subtle the differences are. Nice photo too. :cool:

Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 14, 2010 16:48 |  #21

The best thing about these threads is watching FF evangelists trip all over themselves trying to justify why the APS-C shot looks just as good.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

MNUplander
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 14, 2010 18:56 |  #22

tudragan wrote in post #10721378 (external link)
this thread makes me feel better about my 40D. I like the picture from the 40D better, but there definitely visible noise. I also like the color on the rocks more, but that might be due to the amount of present light.

What did you have to do different for the post processing?

I honestly couldnt tell you what I did differently for each. I have the same workflow for every image I make and these were no exception, but I must have used some sliders slightly differently, plus the OOC RAW files might react differently to them.

Buy & Sell Feedback

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 14, 2010 18:57 |  #23

tkbslc wrote in post #10721662 (external link)
The best thing about these threads is watching FF evangelists trip all over themselves trying to justify why the APS-C shot looks just as good.

or may be the other way round!

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

keitaro
605 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 14, 2010 19:06 |  #24

I got the 40D, and I can say that I am surprised by your results. I've always thought that the 5Dc would be a better camera. But your tests maybe inconclusive due to different optics being used, as well as a shot not being simultaneous.

I think the best way is to have two tripods, and find two similar lenses, but then there is the crop issue. So it's going to be a really hard test to perform, since both cameras are in different categories.

From my understanding the 5Dc should have better noise, and dynamic range compared to the 40D. I still love my 40D, and I would not trade it in for a 50D. Maybe a 7D, but for sure a 5D2 haha :)

My flickr (external link)
My Gear

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 14, 2010 20:38 as a reply to  @ keitaro's post |  #25

+1.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 14, 2010 21:37 |  #26

A few observations and considerations...
There's dust on the 5D's sensor....in the sky...
The 5D image seems to be darker in the shadows...and brighter (with different colors) in the sky...
The 40D image seems to have more contrast in the rocks...

On the net and reduced in size to fit there shouldn't be any difference.
At 100% (cropped for us) there might be discernable differences...
Different lenses have different perceived IQ...different color rendition, contrast...etc...

Shooting a flat-lit subject with blocks of tone (like the sky) and with texture might be a better comparison...

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

MNUplander
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 14, 2010 22:32 |  #27

kitacanon wrote in post #10722860 (external link)
A few observations and considerations...
There's dust on the 5D's sensor....in the sky...
The 5D image seems to be darker in the shadows...and brighter (with different colors) in the sky...
The 40D image seems to have more contrast in the rocks...

On the net and reduced in size to fit there shouldn't be any difference.
At 100% (cropped for us) there might be discernable differences...
Different lenses have different perceived IQ...different color rendition, contrast...etc...

Shooting a flat-lit subject with blocks of tone (like the sky) and with texture might be a better comparison...

Youre right, there is no denying that FF is technically a better platform for landscapes. However, the point Im trying to make is that I make less than 2k on my images every year and for me and the majority of my pics, the differences are negligible. For a working pro, there may be justifiable reasons to go FF, but for me and the majority of hobbyists who do/do not make a little money on the side - Im not so sure...

There's a million ways to make this test more valid, but the bottom line is that for most of us, not all of us, the APS-c platform is more than capable.

Buy & Sell Feedback

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 14, 2010 22:52 as a reply to  @ MNUplander's post |  #28

Great comparison. Those who simply don't want to believe the results will find a flaw in any methodology rather than renounce their dogma.

MNUplander wrote:
There's a million ways to make this test more valid, but the bottom line is that for most of us, not all of us, the APS-c platform is more than capable.

QFT. I find it humorous how many people seem to think that an APS-C is basically incapable of being used to shoot landscapes or portraits (as evidenced by the number of such threads/posts in this forum). It would have been fun if you had stripped the EXIF, then see how many could actually tell the difference.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 14, 2010 23:31 |  #29

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10722206 (external link)
or may be the other way round!

Funny how people have to justify and rationalize their purchases. I have both formats and enjoy them both. I'd get a 1.3x crop but the 1D is out of my price range, or I'd rather spend it on glass. Crops and FF have their characteristics and I won't go so far as to call them advantages or disadvantages as it depends on how you use them. Opinions reflect our subjective bias but there's hardly any need to take offense; they differ as we differ. If it suits your needs then that's all that matters, regardless of general consensus or what charts may indicate.

The OP seems fully capable of taking great landscape shots with his current set-up, if only he would remember to dial ISO down. :)

MNUplander
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 15, 2010 00:27 |  #30

emitecaps wrote in post #10723306 (external link)
if only he would remember to dial ISO down. :)

bw!

Touche!

Buy & Sell Feedback

sponsored links

6,159 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D vs. 5Dc for Landscapes "Test"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.