Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 17:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Totally discussed!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 14, 2010 18:50 |  #16

It may not have been as much about the money amount as it was about actually receiving the money. But either way, I am sure you will find another similar lens without too much effort.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 14, 2010 19:04 |  #17

I just sold a lens and the buyer told me he would send the money after dinner. I figured he wasn't going to pay and I immediately started planning to message a few other people that showed interest. I was out running errands however so I figured I'd give the guy til I got home and sure enough, I had the payment by the time I was in my door. While waiting paid off that time for me it's not usually something I'll do unless I'm not really in a hurry to sell a lens.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 14, 2010 19:11 |  #18

Dinner couldn't wait 5 minutes...? That must have been some dinner... If you were serious, you would have skipped the salad...

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

Buckeye1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,408 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 14, 2010 19:12 |  #19

The most frustrating thing about it is that he sold it within a few minutes after he implied to me that he is okay for me to pay after dinner. It wasn't like I went to a three hour football game. It wasn't like he waited a long time nor that I did not reply to his "potential buyer" notice. He sent nothing to me until after he sold it saying sorry, I sold it. In his thread he even sounded excited that he sold it so fast :rolleyes:

The bottom line is... would you do that to other people without first sending them a courtesy note.

deadpass wrote in post #10722221 (external link)
I just sold a lens and the buyer told me he would send the money after dinner. I figured he wasn't going to pay and I immediately started planning to message a few other people that showed interest. I was out running errands however so I figured I'd give the guy til I got home and sure enough, I had the payment by the time I was in my door. While waiting paid off that time for me it's not usually something I'll do unless I'm not really in a hurry to sell a lens.

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 14, 2010 19:14 |  #20

I had quite a few buyer that changed his mind after agreeing to pay. It's not that unusual on the CL and here. Just to be polite, I usually reply in the same order as the email order and wait at least a few hours before going on to the next interested party.

This is especially true for weekend. Waiting a few hr really does not change much since it can not be shipped out any sooner.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

Buckeye1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,408 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 14, 2010 19:15 |  #21

We sit down as a family to have dinner...my birthday dinner.

mguffin wrote in post #10722253 (external link)
Dinner couldn't wait 5 minutes...? That must have been some dinner... If you were serious, you would have skipped the salad...

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 14, 2010 19:15 |  #22

Sometimes I get a funny feeling about a transaction and I call it off. Bottom line is that the lens isn't yours until you paid and the guy ships it to you. I've had someone refund my money and tell me they changed their mind for whatever reason. Not much you can do now.

Taylor

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 14, 2010 19:21 |  #23

as lame as it may be when you really want a new piece of gear - for the seller its all about the "a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush" type of thing...

PS: happy birthday...

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

Buckeye1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,408 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 14, 2010 19:25 |  #24

BTW, it is not a lens. Anyway, I agree with all of you that it is not mine until I pay for it. It is just not very honorable way of doing things..just my humble opinion, that's all. I will be fine :p

Thank you everyone for posting your opinion. Now that I posted this thread, I am accountable.

P.S. Maybe he just does not like dealing with a "Buckeye" since he is from Florida...He must be a Miami (Cane) fan still upset with the 2002 national championship game...LOL!

Ben

tkbslc wrote in post #10722270 (external link)
Sometimes I get a funny feeling about a transaction and I call it off. Bottom line is that the lens isn't yours until you paid and the guy ships it to you. I've had someone refund my money and tell me they changed their mind for whatever reason. Not much you can do now.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 14, 2010 19:25 |  #25

Andrushka wrote in post #10722301 (external link)
PS: happy birthday...

x2! Don't waste it being upset about a trivial matter and go have fun.

Taylor

Buckeye1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,408 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 14, 2010 19:26 |  #26

Thanks for the birthday wish...totally agree. I do not want this to upset my wife...;)

Ben

tkbslc wrote in post #10722314 (external link)
x2! Don't waste it being upset about a trivial matter and go have fun.

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 14, 2010 20:10 |  #27

Ben, the same thing happened to me back when I was making one of my intial purchases on these boards. We had gone back and forth negotating a number for me to include with my lens in exchange for his lense. He made his last proposal and I accepted it and asked for his paypal address. He was in a hurry and it was a good deal for me, win win I thought.

His thread was posted with a sold notice and I waited for paypal info. The next day, I sent him a reminder that I needed the paypal. His response was that someone jumped in between our messages and he sold it to them. He thought he told me. Not sure how that happened as we were both responding within a minute of each other. I think he just got a better deal.

That was my second deal ever here on POTN, but I have no issues since then. All other members have been straight up and I would not have the lens collection that I do today without them.

I just assumed it would have happened if it was meant to be.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 14, 2010 20:19 |  #28

I usually deal with folks in the order they contact me.
However, if a potential buyer is in the deciding phase and I have someone else who is ready to buy, I will let the first person know that I have another person ready to buy and that I need a decision ASAP. How much time I give that person really depends. Could be 5 minutes or 5 hours. I try to do the right thing, but at the same time you don't want to lose out on another opportunity to sell.

woehlerking
456 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 14, 2010 21:49 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #29

Coming from a Michigan fan.
Bussiness is bussiness, as a seller in this day and age you have to look after yourself, (and as a buyer for that matter). You must always remember that the seller does not know you and that his main objective is to sell his product. He and I usually jump when the oprertunity presents itself. Money talks.
Don't ever take it personal. It's not. It's bussiness.
You win some you lose some.
Take it from me, I'm a Michigan fan.
GO BLUE GO

gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p=10063848&post​count=2316

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 14, 2010 22:01 |  #30

Something similar happened to me just this afternoon. PM'd a seller who said the item was available. Within 5 minutes, I replied that I'd take it asked for his Paypal address. Waited about 30 minutes only to find out he closed the thread and sold it to someone else in the five minutes it took me to respond to his reply that it was available.

I understand several hours going by with no response, but five minutes? I was at my computer the whole time. I usually give the person who says "I'll take it" at least an hour or so before I consider moving on to the next responder.

sponsored links

4,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
Totally discussed!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.