Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 22:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fisheye for T2i?

clamber
321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 14, 2010 22:13 |  #1

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for the T2i as far as fisheye lenses go?

Would the Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens be a good choice?

Im just asking this because I still dont 100% understand the 1.6 crop and all that.

Thanks.

sponsored links
ProD1gy_KiD
894 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 14, 2010 22:28 |  #2

the sigma 10mm FE is more compatible than the canon 15mm, since the t2i has a crop sensor, you wouldnt really get that FE look your looking for, but you get a more wide angle shots with it. more like a prime UWA lens.

clamber
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 14, 2010 22:44 |  #3

Alright, that answers my question. Thanks a bunch!

clamber
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 14, 2010 23:04 |  #4

Okay well what about the Bower SLY 835C 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Lens?

Its for APS-C and its $300 cheaper. Hmm. Thoughts?

Edit: Nevermind, manual focus only.

Error ­ 99
84 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 14, 2010 23:16 as a reply to  @ clamber's post |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

What's wrong with manual focus? At 8mm, you probably won't need much focus...it's not like you're going to get really artsy DOF photographs.

Multiply 8mm x 1.6x = 12.8mm.

Canon 1D Classic | EF 28-80mm 2.8-4.0 L (1989 baby!)
Smarter than solutions to the rubix cube, took it apart and then pulled out a tube of superglue...
flickr (external link)

tnguyen600
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 14, 2010 23:55 |  #6

Back when I had my 40D, I bought a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye.

I loved that lens. It was a lot of fun to take pics with and it's real fishy. You won't see much fish eye effect with the Canon 15mm on your t2i.

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

aaronb
358 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 15, 2010 01:41 as a reply to  @ tnguyen600's post |  #7

+2 for sigma 10mm. I use and love it on my XSI.

450D gripped | Σ 18-50 f/2.8 'Macro' | Σ 30mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 II | 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 | YN-465 x2 | RF-602's]
My Website (external link) + flickr (external link) + Facebook (external link) + P.O.T.N. Feedback

clamber
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 15, 2010 01:58 |  #8

I ordered the Sigma, but I might change it to the Bower 8mm. Ill have to focus manually, but I guess that not a huge deal. and its $300 cheaper so I can get a tripod too.

wylun
234 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 15, 2010 17:50 |  #9

call me crazy, but the opteka fisheye that i bought for my superzoom works pretty well.. i've screwed it on to my 18-55 and its pretty decent.. u might see the barrel but u can easily crop off the edges.. and i recently tried it on my canon 28 2.8 and it actually produced better.. with a nice center focus and everything else around it was blurred out and distorted (fisheye like).. i'll post a picture of it soon

http://opteka.com …ensfordigitalca​meras.aspx (external link)

here is a link to that product.. i believe it is a great product to try out for a poormans experience.. might make you consider if u really wanna spend $300-600 bucks more eventually .. or u can just spend like $30

Canon t1i | Zeikos battery grip | 18-55is | 28-135 | 50 f1.8 | 28 f2.8| Opteka Fisheye and Macro mounts | Canon 270ex ii Speedlite | EP-EX15II Eye Extender
- Sold --> Canon 35mm f2 | 28-135mm | 55-250mm | Sigma 17-70os
- Full Gear list | History - - My Flickr! - (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 15, 2010 20:05 |  #10

Error 99 wrote in post #10723257 (external link)
What's wrong with manual focus? At 8mm, you probably won't need much focus...it's not like you're going to get really artsy DOF photographs.

Multiply 8mm x 1.6x = 12.8mm.

Thats not true, though many people make that assumption. Check out my flickr and look at the photos taken with the Peleng. Those were taken @ f/4 because the difference between wide open and f/4 (1 peg down from wide-open @ f/3.5) is quite noticeable in sharpness and flare handling.

Furthermore, the lens NEEDS to be focused in order to use the aperture to isolate subjects... there is a DOF scale on the lens that tells you what will be in focus at each f-stop. In order to isolate a subject, especially one you wish to distort heavily, you focus @ M (for Macro) and get right up close to them... as close as touching the lens with the nose still works.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

clamber
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 15, 2010 20:22 |  #11

nureality wrote in post #10727608 (external link)
Thats not true, though many people make that assumption. Check out my flickr and look at the photos taken with the Peleng. Those were taken @ f/4 because the difference between wide open and f/4 (1 peg down from wide-open @ f/3.5) is quite noticeable in sharpness and flare handling.

Furthermore, the lens NEEDS to be focused in order to use the aperture to isolate subjects... there is a DOF scale on the lens that tells you what will be in focus at each f-stop. In order to isolate a subject, especially one you wish to distort heavily, you focus @ M (for Macro) and get right up close to them... as close as touching the lens with the nose still works.

So you think I should get the Sigma?

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 15, 2010 20:27 |  #12

tnguyen600 wrote in post #10723393 (external link)
Back when I had my 40D, I bought a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye.

I loved that lens. It was a lot of fun to take pics with and it's real fishy. You won't see much fish eye effect with the Canon 15mm on your t2i.

This. And at 17mm it's more like a wide angle lens so it's quite a versatile lens.

clamber
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 19, 2010 14:35 |  #13

I have enough to get the Tokina, but Im still considering the Bower. I know it will be MF only, but I still will be able to get some good shots with it right?

If I get the Bower then Ill be able to get a macro lens as well.

996gt2
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 19, 2010 14:46 |  #14

clamber wrote in post #10727679 (external link)
So you think I should get the Sigma?

I've used the Opteka 8mm f/3.5 fisheye before and it's a great lens. The corners are not quite as distorted as other fisheyes, so it's easier to correct back into a rectilinear projection if you need to do so. The one I used was very sharp.

Manual focus is not a big problem on fisheye lenses. I just left mine at f/5.6 and focused to hyperfocal. Of course, I was mostly doing landscapes and gigapixel work with it, so your mileage may vary if you often need to focus closely.

I'd normally hesitate to recommend a review by Ken Rockwell, but this one is actually pretty decent.
http://www.kenrockwell​.com/tech/8mm-f35.htm (external link)

Buy/Sell Feedback
5Dc, 50D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 430EX

clamber
THREAD ­ STARTER
321 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 19, 2010 15:06 |  #15

996gt2 wrote in post #10751713 (external link)
I've used the Opteka 8mm f/3.5 fisheye before and it's a great lens. The corners are not quite as distorted as other fisheyes, so it's easier to correct back into a rectilinear projection if you need to do so. The one I used was very sharp.

Manual focus is not a big problem on fisheye lenses. I just left mine at f/5.6 and focused to hyperfocal. Of course, I was mostly doing landscapes and gigapixel work with it, so your mileage may vary if you often need to focus closely.

I'd normally hesitate to recommend a review by Ken Rockwell, but this one is actually pretty decent.
http://www.kenrockwell​.com/tech/8mm-f35.htm (external link)

Alright, thanks. ill read that review and see if that will help me decide.

Also, what does "hyperfocal" mean?

sponsored links

11,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fisheye for T2i?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.