Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Assistance requested RAW, aperture and ISO

Vegasrails
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 14, 2010 16:05 |  #1

Over the past six weeks I have played around further with the manual setting of my Canon 40D. The noise level has increased and it seems I cannot figure this simple process out by my self any assistance would be helpful. Other than cropping no changes have been made in post processing..thanks in advance..Ken
1st photo Image 1910 ISO 100 Expo 44 seconds F/8
2nd photo Image 1923 ISO 100 Expo 30 seconds F/8

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon series 300D, 20D,40D, Sigma 18-200mm DC OS, Canon lenses various
See what I do for fun at:
www.pbase.com/vegasrai​ls (external link)

sponsored links
corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 14, 2010 20:28 |  #2

Looking at these, there fails to be any form of streetlighting so your exposure is entirely dependant on enough cars going up / down the road. First one is very good, but the second looks like too much traffic came the wrong way over exposing key parts whilst underexposing other elements. Given the lottery type nature of this, I don't think that there's a capture all exposure value.

My Flickr (external link)

buurin
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 14, 2010 22:51 |  #3

I dont understand why the 2nd one is so much noiser.
If what you say is correct(#1 shot @ 44seconds, #2 shot @ 30 seconds) then #1 should be noiser.

Was the in camera noise reduction turned off for the 2nd one?

B
30D ● 5D ● Canon 24-70/2.8L
Canon 17-40/4.0L Canon 50/1.4 ● Canon 100mm/2.8 Macro ● 2xVivitar 285HVs ● 430EX ● Cybersync Flash Triggers ● AB800 ● AB400 ● Vagabond II

drumnut01
415 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 14, 2010 22:53 |  #4

If that second shot was truly ISO 100, I would worry there is something wrong with the camera. Now matter how underexposed it is, there shouldn't be noise like that. That is, unless the exposure was brought way up in post.

Feedback

Vegasrails
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 15, 2010 01:05 |  #5

The photo information is correct, hence my dilimma, along with both vehicles were traveling away from the camera.

Canon series 300D, 20D,40D, Sigma 18-200mm DC OS, Canon lenses various
See what I do for fun at:
www.pbase.com/vegasrai​ls (external link)

buurin
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 15, 2010 03:00 |  #6

Ive never seen noise that bad from a digital camera. Its like you shot ISO 1600, underexposed, and boosted the exposure in post.

Did you check the custom function about in camera noise reduction for long exposures?

B
Canon 17-40/4.0L Canon 50/1.4 ● Canon 100mm/2.8 Macro ● 2xVivitar 285HVs ● 430EX ● Cybersync Flash Triggers ● AB800 ● AB400 ● Vagabond II

simmo2006
54 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 15, 2010 03:09 |  #7

Is it really noise? Could it be that, because the headlights are "aimed" towards the camera that it's lots of little bugs with the light reflecting from them?

Just a thought, 'cos it does seem strange.

Regards

Bob
Worthing, West Sussex:D G9/20D/400D/50D Lots of lenses

Moppie
15,051 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 15, 2010 03:19 |  #8

The second image has clearly had the exposure or brightness adjusted in software.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

mido
21 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 15, 2010 06:40 |  #9

It does not look like a noise to me. I think what happened is that on the first picture the cars were going only one way as you can see only red lights and everything else is lit nicely by the headlights. On the second one, at least one car had to go forward the camera. I don't know what happened, but since the exposure was pretty long it might caused all those artefacts.
Or maybe slight movement of camera caused by moving cars?

Edit.
After pasting the picture to photoshop and adjusting the levels I got same result as the second picture. The first one has all the 'details' the second one has, but it's just darker.

gcmj45acp
139 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 16, 2010 11:49 |  #10

Vegasrails wrote in post #10721504 (external link)
Over the past six weeks I have played around further with the manual setting of my Canon 40D. The noise level has increased and it seems I cannot figure this simple process out by my self any assistance would be helpful. Other than cropping no changes have been made in post processing..thanks in advance..Ken
1st photo Image 1910 ISO 100 Expo 44 seconds F/8
2nd photo Image 1923 ISO 100 Expo 30 seconds F/8

As someone else noted, the exposure in the second image appears to be pushed via editing relative to the longer exposure. There's no way a 40D should produce an image like that at ISO 100, even on a 30-second exposure. I started out on the 40D and spent a number of late nights at the office making similar exposures and never saw noise like that. Even at ISO 3200 with all NR turned off, the camera doesn't produce that kind of noise. If you haven't made any changes to this image other than cropping (EXIF data is intact), I'd say something is wrong with the camera.

Still learning, just not shooting as much as I'd like
Bodies: 7D, 5D Mark II
Lenses: 16-35L II, 24-70L, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 50 1.4
Other: GT2331 tripod, Acratech GV2 head, 580EXII, 430EXII(x4), PocketWizard TT1 transmitter and FlexTT5 transceivers along with a growing assortment of light modifiers.

buurin
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2010 12:45 |  #11

Take some test shots @ ISO 100, f8, and increasing shutter speeds.

Post the results. I'd like to see when the abnormal noise starts. I assume its going to occur much sooner than 30seconds which will most likely prove there is a problem with your camera.

No insult to you(we all make silly mistakes), but I'm still not convinced you didn't somehow push the exposure in post. I only say this is because thats EXACTLY what it looks like when you do such a thing.

B

sponsored links

2,235 views & 0 likes for this thread
Assistance requested RAW, aperture and ISO
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.