Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 Aug 2010 (Monday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ebay, Amazon, or Craigs List

ThomasOwenM
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 16, 2010 10:19 |  #1

I want to sell a lens I'm not using. I've never sold anything online before and am not sure if I should use EBay, Amazon, or Craig's List. Amazon feels a little more comfortable perhaps since I've regularly purchased from them over the years. I've bought on Ebay maybe once or twice.

One person told me Craig's List is the way to go because you usually sell locally and meet the person face to face. But I gotta decide because I need to let this lens go, plus maybe a second one.

===============
1D Mark III, Canon 50L f/1.2, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 lens, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, 430 EX flash, ST-E2 Transmitter, Quantaray QSX 9500 tripod, Manfrotto monopod

sponsored links
SilentShutter
432 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 16, 2010 10:19 |  #2

Sell it on here! Someone will buy it if the price is right.

Canon PowerShot SX40HS
Steady hands, an open eye, and a (hopefully) empty SD card
My flickr page (external link)

ThomasOwenM
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 16, 2010 10:24 as a reply to  @ SilentShutter's post |  #3

How do I handle the transaction if I sell it here? Do I just set up Paypal?

===============
1D Mark III, Canon 50L f/1.2, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 lens, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, 430 EX flash, ST-E2 Transmitter, Quantaray QSX 9500 tripod, Manfrotto monopod

SilentShutter
432 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 16, 2010 10:27 |  #4

Yes, most people use paypal. I'm not super familiar with this whole thing (only just recently bought an item on here) Hopefully someone else will chime in to help.

Canon PowerShot SX40HS

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 16, 2010 19:49 |  #5

+1 for the sell it on POTN option. EBay will eat a portion of your proceeds. Depending on where you live, Craigslist is a great way to offload gear at no cost to you.
I call Dibs on whatever you're selling!

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

levitening
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 16, 2010 22:01 |  #6

I've sold on Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, and on forums. Each has their place, depending on how much what I want to sell is going for.

50D/17-55mm f2.8 IS/70-200mm f2.8L/10-20mm f4-5.6/50mm f1.8/580EX/

pcj
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 17, 2010 05:12 |  #7

I've bought on here - use PayPal and have the buyer send the payment as a Gift - they eat the 3% charge then - include shipping in your price for ease.

7D (gripped) | GoPro Hero HD | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 28mm f/1.8 | 3 * 600EX-RT - All gear
http://www.rt2photo.co​m (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/rt2photo (external link)

Bronko52
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 17, 2010 09:28 |  #8

I sold my nikon lens on ebay they dont take that much of a portion and its extremely easy to use

Vladimer
634 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 17, 2010 09:35 |  #9

I've never sold anything on ebay, just bought a bunch, I'd personally stick to craigslist and POTN since there both free. Kijiji is also a good option.

With Criagslist you have the advantage of doing it face to face, do it in a public place if you feel unsure and be prepared for lots of low ball offers. Anytime I've put something up on there I get like 20 emails of people offering like 1/10th the asking price.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 17, 2010 09:49 |  #10

Ebay is a scam for sellers, and everybody buying there is looking for the deal of the century. Ebay is history. If it's going to sell at all, it will sell on the classifieds right here. Use Paypal. It will cost you a few measly dollars but it makes life so much easier. Use them to print your own shipping label. Just print it on normal paper and tape it to your box. You get free tracking, a small discount in cost, and if you ship USPS (the cheapest route) it will save you time at the post office.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Daedalus34r
477 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 17, 2010 10:33 |  #11

Id recommend trying POTN first, it would be easier to find a buyer that knows what they want and you can trust them.

Plus, ebay+paypal will eat up alot of your $$$ in fees, yuck

BODY :: EOS 7D, EOS 50D
GLASS :: 17-55 f/2.8 , 50 f/1.4 , 70-200 f/4L IS, 150 f/2.8 EX Macro , 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX , 30 f/1.4 EX
EXTRAS :: 430EX II , Kata R-103 Bag , Tenba Messenger Bag :: WISH LIST :: 100 f/2
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro Review

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,187 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 17, 2010 10:53 |  #12

pcj wrote in post #10736309 (external link)
I've bought on here - use PayPal and have the buyer send the payment as a Gift - they eat the 3% charge then - include shipping in your price for ease.

i cant stand that.. i am seeing this is the only forum site that i belong to that ALLOWS this.... that is crap... you want the buyer to pay the 3%.. add it to your price and be firm about it....

Daedalus34r wrote in post #10737577 (external link)
Id recommend trying POTN first, it would be easier to find a buyer that knows what they want and you can trust them.

Plus, ebay+paypal will eat up alot of your $$$ in fees, yuck

i agree here too.... you have 600+ posts so people will be more likely to buy from you... if someone has 1-5 posts.. no way id buy...

ebay is getting horrible.. i sold some of my old server parts... between ebay taking $60 and paypal talking $50.. it is rediculous....

craigslist to me is horrible too.. people put stuff on craigslist that want too much money for stuff... I found a canon t2i in my area... just the kit... in box.. used with scratches... $1000 FIRM.... HAHAHHAHA yeah right...

examples of craigscrap.com
EOS Rebel T1i (500D) Digital SLR Kit w/EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens - $650

my boss got a new one in box.. for $585 shipped.. and the price is down to $579 now...

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,049 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 17, 2010 11:02 |  #13

I sold a lens on ebay for $520 and paid $52 in ebay fees, then paid another $23 for shipping...I'll never do that again!

Gear
Website (external link)

pcj
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 17, 2010 12:17 |  #14

TeleFragger wrote in post #10737736 (external link)
i cant stand that.. i am seeing this is the only forum site that i belong to that ALLOWS this.... that is crap... you want the buyer to pay the 3%.. add it to your price and be firm about it....

I don't see how POTN is responsible for that ... if you want to list the price as $XXX +3% for Paypal, then feel free - no one on POTN will say anything.

Personally, all the transactions I've done have been specific about PayPal gift payments, and I've factored in the 3% when I've discussed pricing.

7D (gripped) | GoPro Hero HD | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 28mm f/1.8 | 3 * 600EX-RT - All gear
http://www.rt2photo.co​m (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/rt2photo (external link)

SilentShutter
432 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 17, 2010 19:40 |  #15

I also have been told either gift, or add the 3%. I have only bought things on here (twice) but most FS posts seem to have those specifics in the price listing.

Canon PowerShot SX40HS

sponsored links

3,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ebay, Amazon, or Craigs List
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.