Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 06:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How fast is G11?

steveagle
67 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 15, 2010 06:34 |  #1

Hey guys, need some relatively urgent help from G11 users.

My girlfriend is going overseas to London (from Sydney) and wants a new camera for her birthday which is tomorrow :p Naturally ive left it to the last minute.

Her requirements is fast and image quality. I believe when she says fast, shes refering to camera responsiveness when you press the shutter, not the shutter speed itself. Our old canon has a slight delay and is being passed on to my mum (IXUS850IS).

Ive decided against the bulk of an SLR and being a Canon shooter myself, id love to be able to stick with Canon. Thats narrowed it down to the typical G11 and S90.

Shes doing travelling to Italy, Paris and Santorini so id imagine she will be shooting landscape and people. Would the G11 suit this criteria?

Cheers

His: EOS 7D w/ BG-E7 |24-105mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 II | 430EX I | Crumpler 6MDH | Manfrotto 190XPROB

Hers: G11 | IXUS950IS | Lumix DMC-FT1

sponsored links
St.dunstan
30 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 15, 2010 07:13 |  #2

I have both the G11 and the S90. I like both, sometimes carry both of them. They have some shutter lag, not too bad, mitigated by pre-focus, but definite.
For low light situations the S90 has a one stop advantage. It is smaller and about half the weight of the G11. My GF loves her's. Fits easily in pocket or purse. Slightly less money.
In bright light situations I have a hard time with the S90 screen in comparison to the G11 articulating screen, or using the somewhat limited viewfinder. The G11 also is a better fit for my larger hands.
Both are worthy of consideration, IMHO.

steveagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 15, 2010 07:20 |  #3

I know that either will be a step up in terms of IQ but that shutter lag is what I'm more concerned about atm. I will only have tomorrow to go out and buy so I will try both to see what the lag is like. Do you find the shutter lag annoying at all St.dunstan?

His: EOS 7D w/ BG-E7 |24-105mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 II | 430EX I | Crumpler 6MDH | Manfrotto 190XPROB

audiosteve
146 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 15, 2010 08:34 |  #4

G11 is a point and shoot so shutter lag is worse than with a good DSLR. But if you can pre-focus (shutter release half depressed) before completing the shot then you will find its response to be good. If you are looking to pick it up and press the shutter to catch something quickly then you will find the G11 isn't much better than most other point and shoots. Having said all that, I shot my daughter's lacrosse game a few months back with the G11 and the experience turned out surprisingly well with many excellent shots. I'm a big fan of the G11 and would not hesitate to take it on a trip as my primary camera. But if you must have those reflexive action shots then a DSLR is what you need.

swag72
465 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 15, 2010 09:13 |  #5

Don't know whether the shutter lag is any better on the G11 than it was on the G9. My husband had the G9, and in the end the shutter lag was the killer for him and the camera was moved on. He got a bridge and couldn't live with that and so has moved on to a G11 now. Time will tell about the shutter lag.

Catch my pictures on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/swag72/ (external link)

St.dunstan
30 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 15, 2010 09:17 |  #6

steveagle wrote in post #10724424 (external link)
I know that either will be a step up in terms of IQ but that shutter lag is what I'm more concerned about atm. I will only have tomorrow to go out and buy so I will try both to see what the lag is like. Do you find the shutter lag annoying at all St.dunstan?

Not really. Faster response than my retired A630, for sure. My dogs can move pretty quickly, so the S90 is better for photographing them indoors. I do use the half shutter press when I need to control the lag. Both are great cameras, deciding between them could be difficult. My GF favors the S90- she was so happy with it (I suggested it) that she gifted me with one.:)

audiosteve
146 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 15, 2010 12:41 |  #7

I never knew gift was a verb.

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 16, 2010 01:44 as a reply to  @ audiosteve's post |  #8

I think the G11 is a little too sophisticated for many and the S90 would be a better bet. If your gf is going to simply use the camera on AUTO and take JPEG images then the G11 would be simply extra weight and size. The S90 has faster optics so would be more flexible in that situation.

Having said all that, the G11 is a much more superior camera that will give dramatically good results if you manage to use all the features that are available.

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

steveagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 16, 2010 18:20 as a reply to  @ spear's post |  #9

Well i went to a local camera store to get a feel of bother cameras and ended up walking out with the G11. Gave it to her last night and she loved it.

First impressions:
Its a beautiful looking camera, love the styling. The feel of the camera itself is not the greatest, it feels a bit cheap for a high end P&S. Also not a fan of the scroll/D-pad, its too flimsy and not that ergonomic to use. The camera is on the big side of P&S but it doesnt weigh that much. I only got to play with it for a minute last night but the screen didnt seem to have a good resolution.

Will post back when i play around with it more before she leaves.

swerv927
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2010 22:14 |  #10

You will be happy with the images it will produce for you. However, I did always feel like I missed out on a few shots due to the shutter lag. If you aren't prefocused, particularly in low light, it's a big hit or miss.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Irving Jai
IrvingJai photography (external link)

GroovyGeek
82 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 17, 2010 03:31 |  #11

The G11 is not a pocketable camera and thus is unsuitable for many recreational users. If your GF is not into photography then go with the S90, you get all the goodness of the G11 without the bulk. I have not shot the S90, currently own a G11 and used to own a G9. Most definitely there is a notable shutter lag just like any P&S. Again if your GF is not into photography you may find it difficult to explain the concept of pre-focusing if she has an expectation that it should "just work".

cyberon
540 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 17, 2010 06:25 |  #12

I thought the OP already said that she loved it(G11)! Why try to change her mind?

500D, Speedlite 430EX II, Lens : 15-85mm; 50mm F1.8 II; 100mm F2.8L IS Macro; 70-200mm F4L; Samyang 8mm F3.5
U/W : G11, OEM Housing, Inon S2000, Inon D4 Tray, Inon UCL-165 Close up lens
Astro : Modded 1100D, ES 80ED, Skywatcher HEQ5 Mount, Astrotrac TT320X-AG, Astronomik CLS Clip in filter

audiosteve
146 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 17, 2010 09:10 |  #13

I can't agree that an S90 gives you all of the goodness of a G11 w/o the bulk. S90 has a wider aperture at its widest angle but G11 has better aperture as zoom is increased. S90, at its widest, has severe barrel distortion. S90 has less zoom reach. S90 has less convenient and less solid controls.
S90 is smaller and lighter than G11 and can do much of what a G11 can do but not all and not as easily. I would never get an S90 instead of a G11 unless size and weight were most important. Just my two cents.

sponsored links

3,942 views & 0 likes for this thread
How fast is G11?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.