Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Aug 2010 (Monday) 22:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of making the switch - grass greener?

swerv927
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2010 22:45 |  #1

Hello all,

I currently shoot with nikon d300s and recently sold my zoom lens. I don't have much other glass invested other then a 50mm f1.4 and a nikon flash.

I mostly shoot portrait and landscape, maybe some studio here and there.

I'm interested in going full frame so I am currently looking at the following setup:

5d mark ii mated with the 24-70mm f2.8 L.

My concerns, 2 yr old cam and focus system.

Let me know what your thoughts are. Is it worth the switch, in your opinion? Is this a no brainer?

Irving Jai
IrvingJai photography (external link)

sponsored links
RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 16, 2010 22:50 |  #2

Compared to the D700 and nikon 24-70?

If you dont need video or the resolution the nikon is the better combo.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Dan ­ C
783 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 16, 2010 22:51 |  #3

Going from the d300 to 5d2... You'll miss the AF performance and overall speed. Are you planning on shooting video? Why wont the d700?

5D2 || Σ 50 1.4 || 24-105L || 430EX ||
Gear and Feedback || Smugmug (external link) || I prefer to receive emails instead of PMs; please send me an Email by clicking my username.

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2010 22:56 |  #4

Yes the d700 combo is a consideration. I think the price of the nikon lens is a bit of a put off, almost 400+.

Video is not 100% necessary but I do use it often on the d300s for small clips and I fear I may miss it.

Going from 51 points of focus to 9 is my main concern although I don't use all 51 for the most part anyways. I usually choose a single point manually.

Is the ISO performance worth trading for the focus system?

Irving Jai

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 16, 2010 23:11 |  #5

Did you slim down your nikon set to sell it all to get buy canon. What would a 5d2 fulfill in your wants/needs? I always check myself nowadays from gear lust as I find myself more than content with my stuff. Shoot w/ some pros or other seasoned shooters and you might get a new light on things

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

taxsux
392 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 16, 2010 23:13 |  #6

Get the D700 it's a superior camera compared to the 5DII :)

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2010 23:19 |  #7

Originally sold zoom lens because I was going to upgrade to better glass but have always wanted to go full frame for the higher ISO performance. So I figured I'd weigh out my options.

In the end I've always liked the image quality on canons even down to basic rebel series. So I figured now is as good as ever. And yes I know I should focus more on taking pics rather then my equipment but FF I think will give me the piece of mind I'm looking for.

Only thing holding me back on d700 is the lack of video which shouldn't be a deal breaker but as I mentioned I do record short clips very often.

My real question I guess is what good is the ISO performance if it's limited by the autofocus on the canon.

Irving Jai

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 16, 2010 23:29 |  #8

I did the switch from the D300 to the 5d Mark II, AF accuracy is not a problem, but the AF speed is.
The D300 AF is so much more superior for moving objects. So if you need the AF speed then go with the D700. High ISO wise the Nikon is slightly superior and subjectively I feel the the dynamic range is better.

http://www.adorama.com …hootout-How-good-are-they (external link)

Also ergonomically the D700 with grip is better than the 5dm2 and the BG-E6.

I had some DX lenses which needed to be changed anyway to the full frame version, so for a change I went with the Canon which was cheaper than the D700 at the time.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2010 23:35 |  #9

I don't shoot too many moving objects for the most part, people of which are usually posed half the time, other half are candids. And also landscapes which don't move at all :)

Iannes, do you regret the choice? If you could do it all again would you still go canon or d700?

Irving Jai

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 17, 2010 00:04 |  #10

swerv927 wrote in post #10735390 (external link)
I don't shoot too many moving objects for the most part, people of which are usually posed half the time, other half are candids. And also landscapes which don't move at all :)

Iannes, do you regret the choice? If you could do it all again would you still go canon or d700?

I don't exactly regret the choice, as the overall Canon system as lower cost of ownership and a better range of EF lenses (if you can afford them), It was definitely cheaper to get into FF by going Canon at the time. I thought I wanted HD movies but in hindsight I have barely used the function, due to the limitations around the camera based in-built sound recording.

Now that I have got some L glass, it's a bit more difficult to change, but I do like the idea of a D3s, which I could have migrated to if I went down the D700 path.

So yes I should have gone with the D700, but I thought it was coming to the end of it's product lifecycle, while the Canon was a only third of it's way through. Unless you have a burning desire to get into full frame, I'd wait and see what the D700x developments are in the near future maybe at Photokina in a months time, the rumor of a 24.5mp sensor in the D700 body with AF improvements and movie mode sounds pretty good.

Here a nice little comparison of the existing offerings.
http://www.nikond700.c​om …d700-vs-canon-5d-mark-ii/ (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 17, 2010 00:10 |  #11

I made the switch from 500D to D700... what do you think would be my answer? hehehe and i do mainly shoot landscape also :)

mine is the opposite to Lannes, I find it cheaper to go the Nikon Route (camera body wise), the D700 is the cheapest FF I could get my hands on... at $400 cheaper than the 5D MKII. and I hated the AF on my 500D, which is similar to the 5D MKII also.

as for lenses, I am eventually going to for the 24-70mm or the new 24-120mm and the 70-200mm. I only need 3 - 4 lenses on my lineup to cover 12mm-200mm so I am not really taking the lenses selection since both brands offer very decent lenses on those range.

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 17, 2010 01:46 |  #12

I agonized over these two myself, and went with a 5D2 in part due to the 70-200 f/4 IS, which has no Nikon analogue. Also, Nikon's 85 f/1.8 may be fine optically, but the antiquated steampunk-style mechanical focus is loud and I think slower than Canon's post-war design.

I don't like how fiddly it is to change ISO on the D700 -- I do it with one hand on the 5D2. AF speed is at times disappointing though.

If/when a D700 replacement shows up I'll have to re-evaluate.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 17, 2010 01:49 |  #13

anthony11 wrote in post #10735896 (external link)
I agonized over these two myself, and went with a 5D2 in part due to the 70-200 f/4 IS, which has no Nikon analogue. Also, Nikon's 85 f/1.8 may be fine optically, but the antiquated steampunk-style mechanical focus is loud and I think slower than Canon's post-war design.

I don't like how fiddly it is to change ISO on the D700 -- I do it with one hand on the 5D2. AF speed is at times disappointing though.

If/when a D700 replacement shows up I'll have to re-evaluate.

you could always set one of the front buttons to ISO on the D700 though :)

the new Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 might be announced tomorrow Wednesday evening though together with the 24-120mm f/4 VR :)

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 17, 2010 01:52 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

taxsux wrote in post #10735286 (external link)
Get the D700 it's a superior camera compared to the 5DII :)

Till you need to crop... My biggest buggaboo with the 700 remains the odd button lay out and the viewfinder. I hate framing my subjects only to get extra space in the final image because of the viewfinder. Eh...loved the ruggedness of it, loved the af, hated the view finder, af selection, and smallness of the body.

p.s. Nikon is more expensive down the line, and their color rendition isn't something I enjoy.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 17, 2010 01:56 |  #15

MichaelBernard wrote in post #10735917 (external link)
Till you need to crop... My biggest buggaboo with the 700 remains the odd button lay out and the viewfinder. I hate framing my subjects only to get extra space in the final image because of the viewfinder. Eh...loved the ruggedness of it, loved the af, hated the view finder, af selection, and smallness of the body.

p.s. Nikon is more expensive down the line, and their color rendition isn't something I enjoy.

uhhhmmm in Raw Neutral mode, I don't see any difference... but if I do use Picture style VIVID, my previous 500D was more vivid than the D700. :)

I do feel like I am in another dimension when I compare the D700 with the 500D :) *spank myself* of course I am. haha

I am sure the 5D mKII will be very nice, but If you only need 1 camera body, the D700 is more versatile. its a more all around camera. the 5D MKII while very good for landscapes, portraits etc.. lacks the AF/speed and AF capability in low contrast situations.

I don't see the grass greener in either camp, you just have to determine if the advantage of buying the 5D MKII outweighs the disadvantage it has over your current set up :D

sponsored links

8,150 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of making the switch - grass greener?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.