Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Aug 2010 (Monday) 22:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of making the switch - grass greener?

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 17, 2010 02:01 |  #16

You really find the small percentage in VF coverage to make a significant difference in composition?

I really dunno what Canon was thinking when they made the 5D2 VF displays so dim. I'm constantly having to pause and look for the info there -- I was startled by how much better both D700 and 7D are in that respect.

Front button on D700 for ISO? I found those buttons awkward to find in a hurry, and would one still need to hold it down while scraping the mis-angled front dial?

The new 24-120 can't help but be an improvement over the soft variable-aperture one, but that 85 f/1.4 will go for what, $1300? It's more like the 85L than the ~$350 Canon f/1.8.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

sponsored links
monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 17, 2010 02:06 |  #17

anthony11 wrote in post #10735939 (external link)
You really find the small percentage in VF coverage to make a significant difference in composition?

I really dunno what Canon was thinking when they made the 5D2 VF displays so dim. I'm constantly having to pause and look for the info there -- I was startled by how much better both D700 and 7D are in that respect.

Front button on D700 for ISO? I found those buttons awkward to find in a hurry, and would one still need to hold it down while scraping the mis-angled front dial?

The new 24-120 can't help but be an improvement over the soft variable-aperture one, but that 85 f/1.4 will go for what, $1300? It's more like the 85L than the ~$350 Canon f/1.8.

yeah I don't mind the 95% VF at all...

haha I do feel that the front dial is a bit mis angled, quite not right. but still workable. the front buttons are OK if you get used to them, and I do use auto ISO a lot on the D700 as I think its guide good except when I have time to compose the shot then I remove it from auto iso.

I hope the 24-120mm is as good as the 16-35mm though...

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 17, 2010 06:15 |  #18

Canon colors and tonalities are better regardless you shoot RAW or not. Ergonomics is also better. The AF on D700 blows the 5D's though. So if you don't need Servo stuff and want video 5D II is my recommendation.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 17, 2010 06:23 |  #19

I thought Nikon Rumors has the D700 on deathwatch? Don't know what the next model is, D700s or D800, but sounds like its coming for Photokina next month.

http://www.photokina-cologne.com/ (external link)

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 17, 2010 06:31 |  #20

Thanks for the comments all. The reason I initially went nikon was simply ergonomics. I do like the color rendition on canons and is one of the reasons I'd like to switch.

Also to touch on others point, the lens prices are significantly higher, with a 24-70 and 70-200 I would easily save over 1000 dollars.

I still have plenty of time to think this over as I'm still currently selling off my nikon gear. But I think I would be fine if I go with 5dmkii and eventually upgrade the body sometime next year to it's successor and then no longer compromise focus speed/ accuracy.

As far as the release of the successor to d700 there seems to be no evidence of and the rumors have stopped altogether.

Next jump up on nikon bodies is significantly higher at 5k plus and just not practical for my use. At the end of the day would love a d3s ;)

I will keep you all updated on what I end up with. Thanks again for your input. That alone is worth the switch. Nikon forums aren't as active or helpful as i've seen on here.

Irving Jai
IrvingJai photography (external link)

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 17, 2010 06:37 as a reply to  @ RWatkins's post |  #21

RobDickinson wrote in post #10735182 (external link)
Compared to the D700 and nikon 24-70?

If you dont need video or the resolution the nikon is the better combo.

Dan C wrote in post #10735186 (external link)
Going from the d300 to 5d2... You'll miss the AF performance and overall speed. Are you planning on shooting video? Why wont the d700?

taxsux wrote in post #10735286 (external link)
Get the D700 it's a superior camera compared to the 5DII :)

+1.

Reading through these posts, people are REALLY nitpicking here--viewfinder coverage? Viewfinder layout? C'mon! There are preferences one way or the other, and you may find you like one over the other.

I did something similar to you, but a camera generation ago--I had a D300, which had then just come out, and a host of Nikon lenses. Wanting FF, more affordable lenses, and better/newer prime options, I made the jump to the original 5D, which was already 2 years old technology at the time.

I find Canon to be a much better fit more me personally, and I am still using that 5D (now 4 year old technology).

The short answer is yes, the grass is always greener. The D700 is a better body, but I think that Canon has the superior system, since Canon has lenses that are as good or 99% as good as Nikon lenses, but usually for significantly less money.

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 17, 2010 06:58 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

anthony11 wrote in post #10735939 (external link)

For me coming from the 5d2 yes it was highly annoying checking my shot vs. comp. I've gotten used to the viewfinder, I just read the meter :lol:

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 17, 2010 07:01 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

RWatkins wrote in post #10736448 (external link)
I thought Nikon Rumors has the D700 on deathwatch? Don't know what the next model is, D700s or D800, but sounds like its coming for Photokina next month.

http://www.photokina-cologne.com/ (external link)

Canon also stated that they would release the next body in the xd line (non 1 series) based on Nikon's move. I want the 3d so bad.... It's basically supposed to be a full frame 21mp body with weather sealing and the af from the 1 or 7 series. I think I'd be happy with a body like that for a good long while.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 17, 2010 07:08 |  #24

MichaelBernard wrote in post #10736565 (external link)
Canon also stated that they would release the next body in the xd line (non 1 series) based on Nikon's move. I want the 3d so bad.... It's basically supposed to be a full frame 21mp body with weather sealing and the af from the 1 or 7 series. I think I'd be happy with a body like that for a good long while.

Mike that sounds great. Almost too great lol. But I agree. That would be all I would need as well.

Irving Jai

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 17, 2010 07:12 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

^ I told you that you can use my Mark II if you want. If O trusts you I can too. Play around before you make a 2 thousand dollar choice :)

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 17, 2010 08:10 |  #26

Thanks again Mike. Let me get the D300s sold and I'll shoot you a message for a meet-up.

Irving Jai

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 17, 2010 08:35 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

swerv927 wrote in post #10736791 (external link)
Thanks again Mike. Let me get the D300s sold and I'll shoot you a message for a meet-up.

Would probably be good to play with both back to back. I'll be around later this week. We should have another NYC crew meet up....would be cool to have one to welcome you to the light side.

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,932 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Aug 17, 2010 08:53 |  #28

It comes down to really preference of choice. I believe both produce great images. You cant go wrong on that end. So the choice comes down to three factors:

1- Speed and Auto Focus of the D700
2- HD Video Shooting of the 5DMKII
3- Lens selection (in my opinion the biggest factor of them all)

You basically have said you can do without the speed (hopefully you can lol). Video seems to be high on the list. So we can place a check on #2. You also mentioned the savings on lens's going canon. So check #3. I think you have made your choice ;)

FYI:

I would wait for Photokina though. As thier will be announcements made that could drive the prices of either camera in different directions.

FYI2: I want a D3S. Just felt like throwing that out there. :lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

swerv927
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 17, 2010 08:58 |  #29

@Mike...I tried playing with both at B&H yesterday, although both had lenses which didnt do the body justice imho. So it wasnt a fair enough comparison. A meet would be a good idea either way i choose.

@Omar....your right, i think my choice has already been made but I will wait anyways to hear what the announcement has to say.

FYI i want a d3s too...lol If i had it my way this thread would of never started haha

Irving Jai

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 17, 2010 08:59 |  #30

having owned a 5Dii for 9 months, then a D700 for a year, and now a 7D, let me add my $.02.

For what you want to shoot (landscapes and studio) the 5Dii will work fine for you. But you'll be initially disappointed with the speed of the AF and just the body in general (black out time, shutter reaction etc). It works great for what you want to shoot and it can even do sports when needed, but it IS a slower system. The 7D is a very similar camera to the D700/D300 though. Obviously the sensor is different, but it's speed is similar as are it's options. But for things that aren't moving that quick the 5Dii is great. And it can do sports, just not as well as some other options.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links

8,127 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of making the switch - grass greener?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.