Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 06:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you struggle with your photography after you see other photographer's work?

clarkkent
21 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 17, 2010 06:08 |  #1

Photography has become a pretty good side job for me during the year. I net around $6000. This year will be closer to $7000. It unfortunately has mutated from a hobby to a side business that is beginning to pay bills. This stinks. I have to do it rather than want to do it. I much rather do this than other side jobs though so I am going with it. I still get the occasional high when the client lights up when he or she sees it so my interests is not completely dead. I primarily shoot weddings, sports pictures (in the field and formal ones) and senior pictures.

This is my problem. I struggle greatly with seeing other photographer's work. Instead of getting ideas from the other people in my area I get a complex that almost makes me want to shut down and stop doing it. I think to myself why would client pay for me when they can get that instead? My prices are cheaper so one could argue that they are getting a value but I struggle. Do any of you experience this? If so how do you handle it?

I know the pragmatic approach is not to look at other people's work but that is not really possible and I would think put a limitation on my growth.

Thanks for your wisdom and insight.

sponsored links
moose10101
registered smartass
1,684 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 17, 2010 06:50 |  #2

I remind myself that I'm a better photographer than I was last year, and I'll be an even better one a year from now. Even if you don't get to the skill level of some other photographers, people are paying you and must be happy with your work. Just use it as motivation to keep improving.

crazydays
209 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 17, 2010 06:56 |  #3

...and I would bet, there are a lot of other photographers looking at your work thinking the same things!

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 17, 2010 07:02 |  #4

Try to analyse their work and use it to get better.

If you look carefully at other peoples' work you will see what tricks and tactics they have used to create their shots (lighting set up, make up, composition).

Photography is a progressive pursuit where you should always be looking to improve and take your work to the next level. Looking at other peoples' work is a good way to do this.

Your clients are paying you and are happy irrespective of your insecurity so you must be doing things well enough.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

it`s ­ me
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 17, 2010 07:33 |  #5

opposite for me...I been painting and drawing for 39 years and playing guitar for 14...every time I go to a museum or hear someone who plays guitar better than I do it just makes me want to work harder.

ignutzz
157 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 17, 2010 07:41 |  #6

You're not the only one feeling that way! I'm working on a project right now where I feel a bit in over my head based on what I see from others and I have to keep telling myself I'm perfectly capable of doing the work.

As others have said - it makes me want to try harder so I keep pushing myself. But that happens only after I get myself psyched out of my "who the hell do you think you are to think you can do this" phase. :lol:

60D I 450D I Flickr (external link) I More (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 17, 2010 07:56 |  #7

It does happen. But you have to remember you are NOT seeing all the bad shots that photographer also took. Only the few he wants to be seen.

This is exactly why you never want to put everything online. Yet some people cant learn this for some reason. Nobody takes 2 frames for a 2 image job. Nobody takes 100 for a 100 image job. We all have to fight to get the image that sells the job. Its just that you have to see every frame that you took. But never see every frame that someone else took.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Edbee
135 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 17, 2010 09:02 |  #8

I'm always nervous and worried before a shoot when I look at other photograpers work. Never satisfied after the shoot until I make the prints, then I'm very pleased with my work.

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 17, 2010 09:13 |  #9

Why would it want to make you stop shooting? I never got that.

If anything, it shows me that it IS possible to photograph those which I admire.
I only have 1 1/2 years under my belt, but I couldn't even have imagined how far I've progressed since then!

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

pcj
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 17, 2010 09:29 |  #10

Seeing "better" work doesn't make me want to stop - but it does make me feel like I have a *long* way to go. That can be discouraging.

What slays me is when I see *worse* work - but they seem to get all the business and praise ... in my little photography niche, I see others who's work is poor or sloppy - but they get way more traffic than me. Thats frustrating.

7D (gripped) | GoPro Hero HD | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 28mm f/1.8 | 3 * 600EX-RT - All gear
http://www.rt2photo.co​m (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/rt2photo (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 17, 2010 12:06 |  #11

To the OP, I get where you are coming from. I think a lot of us go through that from time to time. You think other photographer's work is so good, you aren't even worthy. :)

I try to use that as inspiration to constantly better myself.

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 17, 2010 12:33 |  #12

pcj wrote in post #10737167 (external link)
Seeing "better" work doesn't make me want to stop - but it does make me feel like I have a *long* way to go. That can be discouraging.

That's kind of how I feel as well.

I love seeing other people work, it can be inspirational. After all, most of us have had some sort of mentor in the beginning (?).

Everyone has their own style, their own level of expertise on lighting and composition, and everyone sees things differently. There are photographers that are better technically and others that are better artistically, and then there are those who are better at PP. :lol:

For myself (I've done/assisted a handful of weddings and a few other thing) the hardest part is my people skills. I am not bossy which could be a disadvantage at times, but I am easy to work with so I think people are comfortable around me.

There will always be someone better then you at everything, but you can always be different (or not). The important thing is that other's like your work obviously since they are hiring you and hopefully you get some enjoyment from that once in a while.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

dave_p
675 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 18, 2010 11:16 |  #13

I only struggle with photography after seeing my own work.

M_ark
667 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 18, 2010 17:18 |  #14

dave_p wrote in post #10744264 (external link)
I only struggle with photography after seeing my own work.

+1

when i look at my own work after seeing what other produce is like the opposite of inspiring - unless the other work is truely exceptional and unique, then it inspires me to challenge my thinking and 'think different'.

remarkphotography.com (external link)
Canon EOS 40D, 5Dc, EF 24-70 2.8L, Tamron 55-200.

sponsored links

2,491 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you struggle with your photography after you see other photographer's work?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.