Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Aug 2010 (Monday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IMPORTED CANON COMPARES HOW?

docgipe
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 16, 2010 21:44 |  #1

I need someone to speak on the differences if any between US and Imported Canon. I have seen a new in original box 70 X 200 II 2.8 IS for $1350 and $80.00 shipping and insurance. Don't use any big words.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 - 200 mm F/2.8 L IS Mark II
70 X 300mm
"I will loan no one my wife, gun, axe or camera".

sponsored links
ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 17, 2010 06:59 |  #2

warranty, though this deal looks too good to be true. watch out!

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

Petri
281 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 17, 2010 07:08 as a reply to  @ ChunkyDA's post |  #3

That is a scam. There's no way a 70-200/2.8L IS II can be that cheap.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 17, 2010 07:10 |  #4

docgipe wrote in post #10734835 (external link)
I need someone to speak on the differences if any between US and Imported Canon. I have seen a new in original box 70 X 200 II 2.8 IS for $1350 and $80.00 shipping and insurance. Don't use any big words.

S C A M

(I hope that's not a big word ;) )

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 17, 2010 07:12 |  #5

Shop at B&H, Adorama or Amazon. Don't risk your money elsewhere.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 17, 2010 07:14 |  #6

That sounds like a familiar situation...lens question
It wouldn't happen to be coming from China would it?

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

docgipe
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2010 12:49 |  #7

The company Thunder Cameras is located in Kings, NY. The lens is advertised as imported in the web site. http://www.thundercame​ras.com …?dept_id=&produ​ct_id=1065 (external link)

To date my major purchases have come from B & H. However this stuff keeps showing up and is there to tempt the devil.

My lung medicine comes from afar, is the real McCoy and saves me a thousand bucks every ninety days. It is purchased on line through Canadian Drugs. This was red flag territory until we researched by simply asking as I did here on the camera lens.

I do note that there is no positive for my camera lens question at this point. It could be that this lens advertised on this site's Classified Adds within the last two weeks slightly used for $1250 may have been questionable too.

I got into one China reproduction mess. Without the help of Photoshop and Capital One my Photoshop CS4 would have been a total loss. It took a year but Capital One finally back charged the Chinese and left me with a credit to purchase the American Photoshop CS4. In that instance even the advertising was taken word for word and image by image off the internet and used to fool a bunch of buyers. I was one of the first and helped Photoshop jump on the mess early on. Their international law department shut down the USA distributor quickly. I was told it is an on going battle 24hrs./365.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 X 300mm

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 17, 2010 12:52 |  #8

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/store/Thunder​_Cameras (external link)

Run, don't walk away from this store...

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 17, 2010 12:58 |  #9

docgipe wrote in post #10738474 (external link)
The company Thunder Cameras is located in Kings, NY. The lens is advertised as imported in the web site. http://www.thundercame​ras.com …?dept_id=&produ​ct_id=1065 (external link)

To date my major purchases have come from B & H. However this stuff keeps showing up and is there to tempt the devil.

That's actually NOT Version II of the 70-200 f/2.8 IS, so it's not THAT great of a deal.

I'd still stick with B&H, Adorama, or check the Sell forum here at POTN.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 17, 2010 12:59 |  #10

docgipe wrote in post #10734835 (external link)
I have seen a new in original box 70 X 200 II 2.8 IS for $1350 and $80.00 shipping and insurance. Don't use any big words.

No....

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 17, 2010 13:18 |  #11

docgipe wrote in post #10738474 (external link)

My lung medicine comes from afar, is the real McCoy and saves me a thousand bucks every ninety days. It is purchased on line through Canadian Drugs. This was red flag territory until we researched by simply asking as I did here on the camera lens.

I do note that there is no positive for my camera lens question at this point. It could be that this lens advertised on this site's Classified Adds within the last two weeks slightly used for $1250 may have been questionable too.

I got into one China reproduction mess. Without the help of Photoshop and Capital One my Photoshop CS4 would have been a total loss. It took a year but Capital One finally back charged the Chinese and left me with a credit to purchase the American Photoshop CS4. In that instance even the advertising was taken word for word and image by image off the internet and used to fool a bunch of buyers. I was one of the first and helped Photoshop jump on the mess early on. Their international law department shut down the USA distributor quickly. I was told it is an on going battle 24hrs./365.

There are price caps set on drugs by the Canadian government as well as quality controls. These things do not exist for camera gear.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

docgipe
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2010 19:10 |  #12

Thank you gentlemen and ladies too if that is the case. Coffee and a dunker should we ever meet. I have a grandson in three sports, outstanding Pa. wrestler 105, real good music student and National Honor Roll all in his freshman year. I need that lens to keep up with him. I shall take your advice.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 X 300mm

sponsored links

480 views & 0 likes for this thread
IMPORTED CANON COMPARES HOW?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.