Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 10 Jan 2006 (Tuesday) 20:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Shots with my new Nifty Fifty

4830Deuce
84 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 10, 2006 20:25 |  #1

Walked along the local train tracks today to start to learn how to use my new Canon 50mm f/1.4. All I can say is I love this lens. I was really iffy about buying it saying I have never used a Prime lens EVER in any of my photography since since i started in Middle School. Also the crop factor on the rebel was also making me second guess my choice, but wow am i glad i bit the bullet. Contrast and the shapness are just amazing. Please give your C&C!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

-Justin
http://emotionmotorspo​rts.com/portfolio/lock​andkey.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D \ Grip \ EF-S 17-40mm f4L \ EF 24-70mm f/2.8L \ 70-200mm f/4L \ 50mm 1.4 USM \ blah, blah, blah...

sponsored links
Michaelmjc
not cool enough
4,832 posts
Joined May 2004

Jan 10, 2006 20:37 |  #2

I really like the grungy (spelled right?) look to these pictures.. very nice.

Yyz Design (external link)

phishhead_23
298 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 10, 2006 20:58 |  #3

Mine's on order....I can't wait!!

Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 20mm 1.8
Lensbaby 3, Alien Bees strobes and accessories.

http://www.pbase.com/p​hishhead_23 (external link)

skade
Goldmember
4,341 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 10, 2006 21:08 |  #4

Nice work! I like the look of these shots!

Tlee05
"Suck these toes"
1,134 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 11, 2006 05:53 |  #5

I want this lens but it will have to wait, I like the last image best,

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer."
"Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet"

GS ­ Rider
242 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 11, 2006 06:56 as a reply to  @ Tlee05's post |  #6

Over the last week I've been looking at all the great images taken with this lens - a lot of it down to the person behind the camera of course...! It's convinced me to order one, called AJ Purdy's and it'll be delivered tomorrow...!:)

www.monkeypix.co.uk (external link)
Canon 5D
Canon 20D
17-85MM IS USM
Canon 50MM F1.4 USM
70-200MM f4L
100-400 f4.5-5.6 L USM IS
SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG MACRO
Speedlite 580EX
Slik Pro 700
Lowepro Dryzone 200
Sony HDR-HC1
Pentax WPi

stupot
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 11, 2006 10:47 |  #7

wow really like these. the colours in the last one are great

Canon EOS 350D, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f4L, 300 f4L IS, Kenko 1.4x pro300, 430EX, Apple Powerbook G4
Free filters for your flashgun!

ajbalazic
Cream of the Crop
5,228 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 11, 2006 11:03 |  #8

Terrific shots. I love the textures and rusty colours. Needless to say this is a great lense, but you should be commended for getting these images. I would like to see greater depth of field on the first shot since it has a lot to offer in textures and tones- maybe f/8 or more...? Same thoughts on the last shot. These would look teriffic in B&W.

Alan
Gear List

4830Deuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 11, 2006 11:24 as a reply to  @ ajbalazic's post |  #9

ajbalazic wrote:
Terrific shots. I love the textures and rusty colours. Needless to say this is a great lense, but you should be commended for getting these images. I would like to see greater depth of field on the first shot since it has a lot to offer in textures and tones- maybe f/8 or more...? Same thoughts on the last shot. These would look teriffic in B&W.

Totally agree w/ the f-stop i was a little over excited with the small dof w/ this lens and wanted to get some use out of it the first time out...same with the color, wanted to see what kind of color I was going to be able to get with this lens, b&w would be nice, but I felt the colors were just so nice I would leave them be. Overall this lens is by far the best/favorite lens I have ever used and am very happy with my buy. Keep the C&C coming :D ...

-Justin

Canon 5D \ Grip \ EF-S 17-40mm f4L \ EF 24-70mm f/2.8L \ 70-200mm f/4L \ 50mm 1.4 USM \ blah, blah, blah...

sasa007
267 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 12, 2006 20:06 as a reply to  @ 4830Deuce's post |  #10

I love them all, I am getting mine on saturday used...just one small drawback my 20d is in a Canon shop(for the next 4 weeks) for repair together with 24-105 L IS

I hate that lens!(not yours just 24-105)

no edits

sponsored links

1,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Shots with my new Nifty Fifty
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.