Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 23:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 2.8 IS on monopod for fashion show ... IS on or off?

FullStop ­ Photography
597 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 18, 2010 23:00 |  #1

I'm going to be shooting a fashion show tomorrow and plan to use my 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM (I) as my main lens, mounted on a monopod to reduce blur. I don't usually shoot on a monopod, and also don't usually shoot moving subjects.

Question: for optimal sharpness, should I have IS on or off? And if on, stabilization mode 1 or 2? Thanks for any replies.

website (external link) · facebook (external link) · tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 18, 2010 23:06 |  #2

I believe one only turns IS off on a tripod but can leave on with the monopod So leave on and I would go with 1 your not panning

Sorry I see you said fashion show maybe 2 would be better not sure I the only time I use 2 is when I am shooting something in flight

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 18, 2010 23:07 |  #3

If no flash permitted, look at an ISO - f/stop combination that will get you a decent shutter speed and it won't be a problem. If you do use IS, use setting '2' since you may do panning as the models move. AI Servo setting can come in handy.
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

FullStop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
597 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 18, 2010 23:27 |  #4

Thanks for replies so far. I should add that I have permission to use flash, and so will be using an AB1600 mounted with a high output beauty dish and hope to shoot around 1/200 or so, fast enough to freeze some action but not exceed my max sync speed, if this makes any difference.

jeromego
Goldmember
3,906 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2010 23:37 |  #5

fullcity wrote in post #10748001 (external link)
Thanks for replies so far. I should add that I have permission to use flash, and so will be using an AB1600 mounted with a high output beauty dish and hope to shoot around 1/200 or so, fast enough to freeze some action but not exceed my max sync speed, if this makes any difference.

then dont worry about having to use IS or not. you don't even have to use a monopod. In a fashion show, most photographers will be at the end of the runway...so you wont be panning.

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

FullStop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
597 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 18, 2010 23:43 |  #6

jeromego wrote in post #10748046 (external link)
then dont worry about having to use IS or not. you don't even have to use a monopod. In a fashion show, most photographers will be at the end of the runway...so you wont be panning.

Great, thanks for the advice. I'm actually really torn between using off camera flash (pros: fast recycle, more power; cons: light position won't move, possibly having people get between the light and the models) or on camera (most likely an Orbis ring flash, pros: portable so light will be fine if I move around; cons: slower recycle time, somewhat bulky). Any suggestions?

jeromego
Goldmember
3,906 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 19, 2010 01:32 |  #7

fullcity wrote in post #10748076 (external link)
Great, thanks for the advice. I'm actually really torn between using off camera flash (pros: fast recycle, more power; cons: light position won't move, possibly having people get between the light and the models) or on camera (most likely an Orbis ring flash, pros: portable so light will be fine if I move around; cons: slower recycle time, somewhat bulky). Any suggestions?

usually the spotlights are bright enough during a fashion show. just shoot with available light at high ISO, this is what i'd do. forget about the ring flash, and the AB (unless you can mount this on top where the spot lights are) just have your speedlight mounted on cam just in case you really need to use it.

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 19, 2010 01:35 as a reply to  @ jeromego's post |  #8

Leave the IS on.

Gear List

ed ­ from ­ pa
299 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 19, 2010 01:54 as a reply to  @ malla1962's post |  #9

When on a tripod, IS should be off, IS is used for hand held position when you have movement, not when there is no movement on a tripod.

sponsored links

2,221 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 2.8 IS on monopod for fashion show ... IS on or off?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.