Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 14:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone with one lens by choice?

Sam|McGuire
865 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 18, 2010 15:52 |  #16

Jamey, I've thought the same thing many times. I have a 35L and think it's the perfect focal length and I often think it's the only lens I would need. Just don't ever touch the 85L, I made that mistake and now I'm lusting after one.

Canon 5DII| 35L | 16-35LII |24-70L |70-200 F/2.8 IS LII | Alien Bees | CPS Member
Flickr  (external link)
www.moralfibers.co (external link)

sponsored links
mxracer535
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,140 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2010 16:23 |  #17

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10745817 (external link)
totally agreed, and I'm glad you got what I was saying.

Personally, I know I'm far from an artist, but my best shot at it is with a single FL prime on one body like you're saying. 24 on FF or crop is pretty much it for me. But what I make money at with photography NEEDS different lenses (landscape and arch need a UWA zoom and sports need length). I will say I also enjoy shooting those things though, so maybe I'm a bad example? But if I were just shooting for myself then I could easily be in the one lens boat. I MUCH prefer shooting like that honestly, so much less to think about.

Hell, even when I'm working, I usually fall into this as well. If I'm shooting arch I'll use the 10-22 the entire time. I'll bring other lenses but only in case the clients force me to do something I wouldn't. Same for sports, 100-400 the whole time unless something weird pops up.

I total understand the principle of having multiple/many lenses, even if you don't use them that often, so you are able to do/cover a wide array of genres just incase...if you have the ability too.

However, sadly, I'm severely limited money wise to have a stock pile of lenses "just in cases" I decide I want to go cover a hockey game or someone offers me a gig to go shoot the inside of a building and whatnot.

If I had the money to do so, I would have kept my 17-40L, 24L, 24L TS_E, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 135L and 70-200 2.8 for those "just in case" moments, but money was needed for other things, i.e., new(and pricey!) computer and the desire to try other lenses was there. So lenses have come and gone...

NADA...sold off my gear and bought a motorcycle. I might be back shooting someday...

Mi nombre es Jamey

Flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 18, 2010 17:17 |  #18

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10745678 (external link)
yeah, interesting point. like I said, for personal work it'd be fun to use just ONE lens and force it when it wasn't ideal. But because I try to make money at this, I need a few other lenses just for those subjects...

B&H blogged about pro -vs- am today (a video from ZA). One of the points that came up which I agree with is a photographer isn't necessarily and artist. But for some people who work really well at one FL, I could easily see how they're an artist but NOT a professional? IE being a professional usually suggests you need to cover more bases in terms of ways to make money if that makes sense?

True, in a sense. However, not all professional photographers shoot everything. You really only need the equipment that your niche/genre/specialty requires. If that's as simple as a 5D with a 35mm attached, so be it.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

tempest68
980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 18, 2010 18:17 |  #19

I see nothing wrong with having just one lens if it suits your needs. If you're happy, who cares if anyone else thinks you need more. It's your money, not theirs!

I'm trying to be a two lens shooter now, but not sure how it will work out. I just got the Sigma 17-50mm last week, and my Sigma 50-150 arrived today (bad weather outside and nothing real interesting inside to really play with it, so I'm cruising POTN instead). The 17-50 will be used mostly indoors and the 50-150 will probably be used mostly outdoors, so it's sort of a one lens solution for each shooting environment.

Since I like zooms for what I shoot, I could go with a single lens if my body were a 5D or 5D II and the lens were the 28-300mm L.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 18, 2010 18:31 |  #20

Nothing wrong with it and I find that to be a great focal length (I shoot right around there 90% of the time myself). Keep on doing what you're doing.

I only have lenses that fit my shooting needs. I see no need to have every focal length covered; that's just gearnerd-ism. In fact, I'm very tempted to sell my ultrawide lately because I simply never use it.

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 18, 2010 18:33 |  #21

I would if Canon would make a super sharp, super fast 10-500mm f/1.2L, with the size and weight equal to a 70-200/2.8 lens.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

CameraJockey
35 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 18, 2010 19:10 |  #22

If your pics make you happy and you are enjoying your self...thats cool.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,211 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 18, 2010 19:29 |  #23

based on the way it seems like you wan to try and expand from one lens because you are already thinking of buying the 50mm, and 85mm...i think when you do get them the best thing would be to force yourself to use them for a while...and only them...i think it'll make you see things slightly differently than just 35mm for everything...

but hell i could be wrong...but that's what i'd do

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 18, 2010 19:36 |  #24

Like they say... mo money, mo problems.

I have too many lenses for myself, and it's becoming hard to decide which lens combo I'll be shooting with for the day. Will it be the 24L + 50 1.4 (I really want a 50L) or the 35L + 85L or the 24-70 + 35L, so on and so forth.

With many lenses, I can get to know my lenses pretty well. With one lens, I can perfect my framing and perspective when it comes to that one lens hahah.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 18, 2010 23:34 |  #25

Just save the cash and if you ever switch interests you have a nice lens stash ready to spend. If you only want to shoot 35 right now, why force it? You don't have to please the forum by owning a vast lens selection. Just do what works.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

ed ­ from ­ pa
299 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 19, 2010 01:55 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #26

My choice, 50L...

Velorium
493 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 19, 2010 02:34 |  #27

Who cares? You shoot what you shoot. My grandparents shot photos with a 35mm rangefinder for most of their photography days. Honestly, it doesn't matter how many lenses you have as long as your happy with the end results. Seriously. Lots of people get caught up with doing everything you can with photography aside from actually taking photos. Don't feel intimidated by only having one focal length or one lens, that's just being insecure.

Rsyx
619 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 19, 2010 04:18 |  #28

I'm really starting to get into the 24mm on crop so I can relate to that. I do still have a 135L and will get a 50mm to round out my 3-lens kit though.

Just hold on to the money you have now, maybe you can put it towards a 35L2 someday. ;)

5D II + ZE 50 MP

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,390 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 19, 2010 04:41 |  #29

I say continue to do it and really embrace it. It might just be the thing that helps to separate/isolate your look from the rest of the pack.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity, especially when it comes to hauling around a bunch of gear.

flickr (external link)
5DSR | 5D II | 1N RS | TS-E 24L II | 85L II | 135L | 2X III

fang
31 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 19, 2010 08:16 |  #30

I hope you are not insane.. If you are, that makes two of us.

I'm basically in the same boat. I've sold my 24-70. I now have 35L, 28f1.8 & 50f1.4. I'm selling the 28mm soon and currently deciding whether i still need the 50mm.

There is something about the 35L:D

mxracer535 wrote in post #10745267 (external link)
So, I've tried just about every lens out there, and end up selling all of them...expect for my 35L. Right now, I have the 24L and 35L, and I'm trying to sell the 24L (let me know if you are interested), and I was planning on picking up the 50 1.4 (again) and the 85 1.8 (again), so I'd have some "variety."

But, now I'm thinking that I really don't NEED anything other than my 35L, and that I may just pocket the money... Every time I use a lens other than my 35L I feel awkward, and usually don't like the look of the pictures. My mind just seems to think in 35mm (feel free to check out my flickr to get a feel for my work)

So, am I just a "one trick wonder" for only be able to shoot with a 35? Anyone else have/thinking of having just ONE lens?

Or am I just insane...?

sponsored links

4,702 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone with one lens by choice?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.