Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 09:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how to charge usa stuff in europe?

jonchicoine
168 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 19, 2010 09:58 |  #1

Hey Guys,

I live in the Unite States, and have a daughter that lives in Norway. I want to send her my 50d, but they use 220 instead of 110 and the wall outlets have different prongs if ya know what i mean.

Is there someplace i could buy a new 50d battery charger that she can use in Norway, instead of the one i have.

I'm sure there are converters, but i thought i would first just try to find one that doesn't require any converters and such.

thanks,

jonathan

sponsored links
Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 19, 2010 10:05 |  #2

The battery charger will accept power from 110 to 240 so nothing needs to be done about it. The only problem you may have is the style of plugs they use. You can just get a converter for the plugs at wal mart or other places.

Or just have her price what a charger over there costs. They may be cheep enough to just get a charger meant for over there.

I went to the Philippines where it is 220 as well. I was lucky as they use the same plugs as the US so I was able to plug into the wall as I would at home.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 19, 2010 10:23 |  #3

Most chargers are marked "110-240" and if so, all she needs is an adapter plug for Northern Europe, which I think is the standard two round prong adapter.

Also, I recently bought a Pearlstone charger at B&H for $17, compared to the $75 that Canon wanted. Perhaps she can find a knockoff there as well.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 19, 2010 10:49 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #4

You can buy the CB-5L charger in the US, like at B&H Photovideo. It will still come with a US cord, but it's detachable, and in Norway she can steal a cord that fits the charger in one end and the wall socket in the other, from any radio or similar.
In Sweden, the cost is SEK 495.

All Europe, except some obscure island outside the coast of France, uses 230/400 VAC, 50 Hz. Not all use the Schuko wall sockets, though.

Anders

jonchicoine
THREAD ­ STARTER
168 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 19, 2010 10:54 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #5

yeah, the outlets there have two round pins instead of the straight ones we use.

thanks for the info...

I still wish i could somehow just purchase a new one made specifically for Norway though... but have no idea how to find such a thing.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 19, 2010 11:07 |  #6

jonchicoine wrote in post #10750350 (external link)
yeah, the outlets there have two round pins instead of the straight ones we use.

thanks for the info...

I still wish i could somehow just purchase a new one made specifically for Norway though... but have no idea how to find such a thing.

I don't think it's made spedifically for Europe, unless she finds one there. Even the ones from B&H come with a free two round prong adapter plug. I suspect they're all made in China for an international audience, and there are not two different assembly lines for NA and Europe.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

vid1900
557 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 19, 2010 11:28 |  #7

The flat prong to pin prong adapter is $1 at any store that sells suitcases and such.

http://www.world-import.com/plugs.htm (external link)

No bragging list - I just rent whatever the job requires.

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 19, 2010 11:53 as a reply to  @ vid1900's post |  #8

The uk charger has no prongs at all, it has a power lead.

Gear List

jonchicoine
THREAD ­ STARTER
168 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 19, 2010 12:22 |  #9

vid1900 wrote in post #10750538 (external link)
The flat prong to pin prong adapter is $1 at any store that sells suitcases and such.

http://www.world-import.com/plugs.htm (external link)

thanks, that seems like a cheap solution :) i can handle 1$ :)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 19, 2010 12:24 |  #10

tvphotog wrote in post #10750416 (external link)
I don't think it's made spedifically for Europe, unless she finds one there.

Once again, the CB-5L charger is sold in all countries where they don't use the toy-like outlets that are the normal standard in the US, and some other countries. The CB-5L has no specific plug, but instead a detachable cable, and that cable is then different for different countries, where needed. Those sold here have Europlugs, since they fit everywhere except on that obscure island outside the coast of France... ;)

In countries belonging to mainland Europe, there are mainly two types of plugs. They are similar enough so the Europlug fits both. Denmark has a special plug too, but once again the Europlug fits.

Anders

sponsored links

1,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
how to charge usa stuff in europe?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.