Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 06:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

300mm 2.8

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 18, 2010 13:07 |  #31

Don't forget to strip the EXIF info ... ;)

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

sponsored links
minkynuts
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 18, 2010 13:16 as a reply to  @ Anders Östberg's post |  #32

Good job you reminded me

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,161 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 18, 2010 13:22 |  #33

minkynuts wrote in post #10744874 (external link)
Why would I withhold the fact it a non IS lens

i don't think he's accusing you of holding anything back...you just didn't answer the first time he asked...

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #10738653 (external link)
What Canon lens are we talking about by the way? The old Non IS?
Either way, if you find you have a SIGMA that is that sharp, I'd hold on to it!

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sangjiny
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 18, 2010 13:23 |  #34

DreDaze wrote in post #10744981 (external link)
i don't think he's accusing you of holding anything back...you just didn't answer the first time he asked...

I thought the same thing.

Leica M9
Pentax 645D
Rolleiflex 2.8FX
Mamiya 7
Zeiss ZI Ikon

BenJohnson
Goldmember
1,811 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 18, 2010 13:26 |  #35

That's what I thought too.

|Ben Johnson Photography (external link)|
|Gear List|

minkynuts
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 18, 2010 13:31 as a reply to  @ BenJohnson's post |  #36

I just hope the Canon is faster focusing, if after I test it this weekend it it not then I will keep the sigma and sell the Canon meaning all the effort and dreaming of a canon 300 2.8 was a waste of time WHAAAAA

Rob

int2str
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2010 13:33 |  #37

I rented the 300mm f/2.8 (non-IS) last year. The focus was very fast and the lens was very easy to work with. However, I was not at all impressed with the sharpness of the lens. I don't want to discourage you and really hope your purchase will make you happy, but I do think there's a big difference in sharpness on the IS vs. non-IS.

newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 18, 2010 17:10 |  #38

:confused:I own a 300nonIS, a 85L1.2II and 135L2.0, i use them for motor races or dog ahility .. and on my side 300L2.8 is really the sharpest lens I have .. and from very far .. More over AF on a 5DMKII is perfect after +5 micro adjust, ultra quick and accurate better than 85L1.2II and 135L2.0..
So all of your observations surprise me a bit :rolleyes: ..

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

johnny_boy
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 18, 2010 18:56 |  #39

Uhhh, my experience is that there is very little difference in sharpness between the IS and Non-IS version of 300mm f/2.8. They are both killer, sharp lens.

rouxeny
250 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 18, 2010 19:00 |  #40

Wow, my experience with the 300/2.8 IS was that it was one of the sharpest lenses I've ever worked with. Great AF also.

Andrew Tan
10D/5D/15/17-40/24/50/70-200
http://andrew-tan-photography.smugmug.co​m (external link)
"I am so envious of guys like you. You get to shoot beautful models, all I can find to shoot are bugs and snakes." - JS

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 18, 2010 19:54 |  #41

Sigma sharper? That's blasphemy!!

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,161 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 18, 2010 19:58 |  #42

the thing i'm wondering is if he had just posted the canon shot, and said "i got a new 300mm f2.8"...would everyone have said how sharp that shot was and congratulations...but now because it might not be the sharpest between it and the sigma the responses are now...there must be something wrong with the lens..

they both look sharp to me...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,933 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 19, 2010 11:38 |  #43

minkynuts wrote in post #10744874 (external link)
Why would I withhold the fact it a non IS lens. In outside sport the IS to me is a hindrance, due to the slight delay. And as more than one person will tell you, there is not much difference between the IS and non IS quality in daylight. My friend who works for one of the national papers has the IS version, I will get him to lend it to me, I will take 7 photos with my Non IS lens and one with the IS lens using the same camera, focal length, aperture and on a tripod, if you can pick out the IS lens photo 3 times out of ten I will give you $100
if you do not you give me $100, if what you say about the IS lens it should be a cakewalk for you.
Rob

Yes, you completely misunderstood what I was trying to say, but it's my own fault. :)

We just wanted confirmation of what lens we were discussing.

as for the difference in IQ, I agree, there is little to none between the IS and older version.

I see I worded this poorly above, but my point re knowing which we were talking about had to do with what are the next steps to follow. It seemed far more likely to me that since you are talking about a 10 plus year old lens which has likely been used a lot, there is a stronger possibility that an adjustment needs to be made to get the lens back up to snuff.
In re-reading my post, I certainly made it sound the other way around, I did not post what I take for granted.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 19, 2010 13:54 |  #44

rouxeny wrote in post #10746711 (external link)
Wow, my experience with the 300/2.8 IS was that it was one of the sharpest lenses I've ever worked with. Great AF also.

And mine, I tried the 120-300 before I opted for the canon.

Gear List

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,192 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 19, 2010 14:34 |  #45

Both lenses are actually very good, where the prime excels is in its ability to take 1.4 and 2x TCs far better. If you dont need them, then both are good lenses.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

sponsored links

8,759 views & 0 likes for this thread
300mm 2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.