Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First "big-time" photography offer; help me avoid getting burnt

PryorKnowledge
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 19, 2010 10:06 |  #1

Quick back-story:
I've been learning everything I can about photography over the past year and have just recently begun accepting paying clients. Up to this point, I've only shot portraits for friends and family.

This morning I receive an email from the Director of PR from the University I graduated from (B.A. in Education, not photography), saying that she had heard I had begun a photography business. She went on to say that their normal photographer was busy next week and offered me the opportunity to shoot a couple quick portraits of two different alumni at their place of employment (30 and 45 minute drives for me). She offered $150 for each photo. To me, that's great money considering I am just getting started. I know a lot of you may say I'm getting ripped, but I just don't feel that I have the portfolio or experience to even begin to demand more.

So...

a) Is this a fair price considering my experience, or lack thereof?
b) Do I need to do anything as far as only releasing certain rights to the University to protect myself?
c) I assume there should be some sort of contract in place. Do I set this up or does the University?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm thrilled at the opportunity, but I want to cover my bases and do this the right way.

sponsored links
professoryeti
573 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 19, 2010 10:14 |  #2

I think $300 is acceptable for a quick set of portraits. How much time will you have invested in this from start to finish (drive time, shoot time, post-processing). I assume it's just digital delivery of two final images?

My session fee is $150 for two hours with disc and print prices additional, so this isn't really outside my range.

Saturnalia for all you have.
5D Mark II | 5D | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8L | 24-105mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |
JoshNibertPhotography.​com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

madspartus
164 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 19, 2010 10:23 |  #3

since they are looking for 2 photos (although i might give 3-5 options of each), unless there is substantial travel involved it sounds reasonable. It's not like you'll spend 5 days post processing the images or anything.

i dont even sell photos at all, so that my advice with appropriate reservation.

1d MKiin, 2x XTi /w grips, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 200mm f/2.8L II, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, 430EX, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4X TC

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 19, 2010 10:23 |  #4

professoryeti wrote in post #10750071 (external link)
How much time will you have invested in this from start to finish (drive time, shoot time, post-processing). I assume it's just digital delivery of two final images?

answer these and you should have your answer

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

ndelacova
95 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 19, 2010 10:26 |  #5

The fact that they called you is already a good thing. This could also lead to other jobs by referal. You are doing fine with the money but referals are priceless.

PryorKnowledge
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 19, 2010 19:51 |  #6

ndelacova wrote in post #10750141 (external link)
The fact that they called you is already a good thing. This could also lead to other jobs by referal. You are doing fine with the money but referals are priceless.

Actually received an email later this afternoon asking about shooting an additional photo tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed, I would LOVE for this to turn into something more regular

switchblade5984
299 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 19, 2010 20:09 |  #7

good stuff, id say thats pretty good money, for 2 portraits. especially if the 30-45 min drive is to the same place

sponsored links

1,404 views & 0 likes for this thread
First "big-time" photography offer; help me avoid getting burnt
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.