Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 19 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 20:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Corvette C & C

99mallett
137 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 19, 2010 20:03 |  #1

Some friends are wanting pics of their cars and are inquiring if I can do them. It's been quite a while since I shot cars (read REALLY rusty), and started looking for some possible areas with neutral backgrounds for some practice. This is a park near the river, and I used my c5 Corvette as a test subject. I've done minimal PP...just some cropping & a little shade lightening.
Could use some C & C on this...
Thanks

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i22.photobucket​.com …ett/IMG_7754_ed​ited-1.jpg (external link)

http://i22.photobucket​.com …ett/IMG_7710_ed​ited-1.jpg (external link)

http://i22.photobucket​.com …ett/IMG_7721_ed​ited-1.jpg (external link)

Canon 60D gripped, Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L USM, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS, Tamron AF18-270, Sigma 120-400, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 18-200.

sponsored links
switchblade5984
299 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 19, 2010 20:12 |  #2

background in 1 looks hazy, i like 2 and 3 nice 'vette

cicopo
Goldmember
3,492 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 19, 2010 20:21 |  #3

I'd prefer a water background over the treed version. The trees are a bit overpowering to me, likely because they are close to where the car is parked.
Also agree with the haze comment, plus the car needs some dodging to brighten it up. (I know, it's the scene you're asking about, not the actual photo).

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 19, 2010 20:56 |  #4

Nice car...I have a gigantic soft spot for red C5s...

The background looks ok, but it's the foreground I'm not a fan of...just looks like you went to the nearest parking lot and shot it...I'm not a fan of the curbs, sidewalks, etc

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 19, 2010 21:04 |  #5

look soft to me...

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 19, 2010 21:13 |  #6

focus.pocus wrote in post #10753816 (external link)
look soft to me...

me too

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

RadAL
Cream of the Crop
9,633 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 19, 2010 21:55 |  #7

the first one, it looks soft (the focus looks like it was on the background behind), and the other 2 look a little too over sharpened (maybe it was soft again)

Equipment: Canon PowerShot A650IS (semi retired) and Canon Powershot G10 (primary) and Rebel XT 350D w/18-55mm kit lens and Quanterey 18-200mm-- www.youtube.com/alexan​der1485 (external link) (has links to some of my pictures on the main page)

PhotosGuy
75,913 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 19, 2010 22:24 |  #8

As I suggested twice before, better light makes more dramatic looking car shots: "Beast". (external link)

look soft to me...

PB sizing problem discussed in this thread:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=905428

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

99mallett
THREAD ­ STARTER
137 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 19, 2010 22:36 as a reply to  @ RadAL's post |  #9

Thanks, so far, everyone...
I think the first shot actually is a little soft and hazy. It was a hot & hazy day (welcome to Indiana in the summer), and I took it with a long lens hoping for a little different perspective. It didn't feel right and I moved in closer for some of the others. I may play around with some filters next time.
I agree with water background over the trees after seeing them posted. Maybe bring the car further away from the curb and shorten the DOF ?
The Torch Red paint seems to mess with the color balance a little...I think for the next ones I may play with the aperture, some.
A little PhotoShop may help some of the other issues, I hope.

Thanks again for the imput, and keep 'em coming...

Canon 60D gripped, Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L USM, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS, Tamron AF18-270, Sigma 120-400, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 18-200.

maxharvard
373 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 20, 2010 13:27 |  #10

"Trees and water are for cows, not cars"

As said to me by the editor of Car Craft Magazine.

~Eric

Impermanence Photography (external link)
D3 | D200/grip | 14-24 f2.8 | 24-70 f2.8| 70-200VR f2.8 | 105 f2.8 | SB900 | SB600 | 2xB800 | Cybersyncs

99mallett
THREAD ­ STARTER
137 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 20, 2010 20:18 |  #11

maxharvard wrote in post #10757535 (external link)
"Trees and water are for cows, not cars"

As said to me by the editor of Car Craft Magazine.

~Eric

Sounds reasonable, but did he suggest what backgrounds are appropriate? Pretty tough to stay away from grass & water when you live in a small town in the Midwest. I suspect that the State Police would have no sense of humor about shooting in the middle of the Interstate, too.
I'm not being a wiseguy, and I apologize if it sounds that way, but I am trying to find a suitable spot to shoot my buddies' Corvettes that would give them a nice photo to hang on the wall...I don't expect they'll end up in a magazine or a national calendar, but I'd like to do a decent job anyway.
Basically, I'm working with what I have...I don't have a studio...we don't have any industrial areas (which I think make great backgrounds), but we DO, unfortunately, have lots of parks, parking lots, and farm fields. I regularly keep an eye open for good alternative spots.

I do, seriously, appreciate the feedback from everyone. I've got several good ideas for the next try, so please keep them coming.

Thanks.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,492 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 20, 2010 20:36 |  #12

As a professional Corvette restorer I have no problems seeing water as the background unless the car is similar in color. Parking lots work too if you don't have things like a light pole looking like the antenna etc. Set the scene, look at EVERYTHING in the viewfinder, and just make sure the car is where the eye goes, with no distractions. Other alternatives are the driveway of a nice home, or maybe an old looking service station.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

maxharvard
373 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 22, 2010 13:33 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #13

99mallett wrote in post #10759386 (external link)
Sounds reasonable, but did he suggest what backgrounds are appropriate? Pretty tough to stay away from grass & water when you live in a small town in the Midwest. I suspect that the State Police would have no sense of humor about shooting in the middle of the Interstate, too.
I'm not being a wiseguy, and I apologize if it sounds that way, but I am trying to find a suitable spot to shoot my buddies' Corvettes that would give them a nice photo to hang on the wall...I don't expect they'll end up in a magazine or a national calendar, but I'd like to do a decent job anyway.
Basically, I'm working with what I have...I don't have a studio...we don't have any industrial areas (which I think make great backgrounds), but we DO, unfortunately, have lots of parks, parking lots, and farm fields. I regularly keep an eye open for good alternative spots.

I do, seriously, appreciate the feedback from everyone. I've got several good ideas for the next try, so please keep them coming.

Thanks.

(Let me preface this by saying what I'm about to say is NOT meant to be argumentative, it may come across that way)

Yes, he did say what works well and that's lots and lots of concrete/buildings/nas​ty stuff.

And yes I'm from the midwest and have done shoots in VERY tiny little towns and found industrial/gross areas. So that argument is out the window.

Frankly, if you like industrial areas... GO FIND THEM... they aren't hard to find honestly. I found several in Verndale, Minnesota... google the town, it's ridiculously small, rural and all farm lands... yet I found places to shoot.

Lack of locations is just an excuse to not shoot it right. Go out, go find them... drive 20 minutes, it's not the like the car you were shooting is a trailer queen.

And as far as a studio, I've done shoots in guys garages with sheets behind them... looks exactly like a studio. Be creative, you aren't limited to the 20' radius you live in.

~Eric

Impermanence Photography (external link)
D3 | D200/grip | 14-24 f2.8 | 24-70 f2.8| 70-200VR f2.8 | 105 f2.8 | SB900 | SB600 | 2xB800 | Cybersyncs

99mallett
THREAD ­ STARTER
137 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 23, 2010 21:57 as a reply to  @ maxharvard's post |  #14

Maxharvard...
Thanks for the imput. It's not taken as argumentative at all. I'm looking for ALL imput. Thanks

99mallett
THREAD ­ STARTER
137 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 23, 2010 22:11 as a reply to  @ 99mallett's post |  #15

The original photos here were done on the fly...I grabbed the camera, stopped and shot some pics. The guys that want their Corvettes shot are somewhat insistant on a "park" or "outdoor area" background, so I guess that I will try to work with what I have.
I went out this evening and shot a few more of my car taking into consideration the feedback I've been getting, and have started looking for the settings requested.
I took Photoguy's suggestion and shot about an hour before sunset. I also moved the car to a slightly different location. I also used a better lens (70-200L).
Are they any better?

http://i22.photobucket​.com …ett/IMG_7920_ed​ited-1.jpg (external link)

http://i22.photobucket​.com …ett/IMG_7973_ed​ited-1.jpg (external link)

http://i22.photobucket​.com …ett/IMG_7995_ed​ited-1.jpg (external link)

http://i22.photobucket​.com …ett/IMG_8023_ed​ited-1.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

2,868 views & 0 likes for this thread
Corvette C & C
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.