Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 12:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just borrowed a 1D4 for a week....

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 20, 2010 03:08 |  #46

JonK wrote in post #10749587 (external link)
Why?

Because it's not accurate.

I set up my 85L with one, it came in at +6 which appeared to be an improvement. Then I disabled it and it's sharpness was improved.

I don't know how or why that happened but it did.
I set up all my lenses that way and even with the test charts the difference was marginal / negligable at best so it seems a bit pointless to me unless you have a lens that's way out of focus in which case you'd throw back to Canon.

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 20, 2010 03:21 |  #47

I have issues with the micro adjustment on my 1D MK4 and all my lenses, I have sent it back and they have adjusted, so they say, but I am still not happy some are +20 and need more.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 20, 2010 03:25 |  #48

In my view if someone is a photographer for a living should not be worrying about 2nd hand values, more the case if the body is going to make you more, or get you out of trouble more to get that shot you need.
If it was my profession and my living, and I was having to work out doors weddings and all, a 1 series for sure, but we all have different views, but if you have the right tools it saves you time and money in the long run.

I sold my 1D MK3 for just a few hundred less than I paid for it after 2 years.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 20, 2010 06:50 |  #49

And Gel, your conclusions are the same of many a photographer. They also play right into Canon's marketing plans. If you're looking for a full frame sensor that is missing all of the performance of the 1D series, then the 5D line is for you. If you're looking for all of the performance, then the 1D series is for you. If you want both, either buy both, or buy the 1Ds line that costs double the 1.3's price.

Personally, I love the 1D3. I adore my 5D. I was thinking of selling off my 1D3 because of decline in paid gigs when it came to action. For the prices that folks were offering, I am happy to hold on to both my 5D and 1D3 as they complement each other extremely well. Prices for both bodies is about the same as a new 5D2 and cheaper than a 1D4.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 20, 2010 09:15 |  #50

Gel wrote in post #10755261 (external link)
Because it's not accurate.

I set up my 85L with one, it came in at +6 which appeared to be an improvement. Then I disabled it and it's sharpness was improved.

I don't know how or why that happened but it did.
I set up all my lenses that way and even with the test charts the difference was marginal / negligable at best so it seems a bit pointless to me unless you have a lens that's way out of focus in which case you'd throw back to Canon.

I have a 7d, 5dmk2 and a 1dmk4 and I will not even look at MA, if I think a lens has a problem it will be going in for service, when I had a mk3 my 300f2.8 needed +15 but it was spot on on my 40d and 1dsmk2 so I sent the camera in for calibration and it was fine after that.

Gear List

Vance1
32 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 22, 2010 13:41 as a reply to  @ Gel's post |  #51

Gel just looked at your very nice web site and didn't see where the 1D4 was a good fit for what you do anyway. Looks like FF makes the most sense for a lot of reasons.

But I can understand how much fun it must have been to try out the new 1D4. Thanks for sharing your views.

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 22, 2010 15:30 |  #52

I've just put money on a 1Ds3, I liked the autofocus improvement and whilst I have 2 5D2's I still need another body for when Laura acts as supporting photographer for weddings in case one fails.

Chris Giles Photography

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,134 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 22, 2010 16:04 |  #53

malla1962 wrote in post #10748507 (external link)
I have all 3 and that is not what im finding.;)

no surprise to me ... but then again you do have all three :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

JBF
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 22, 2010 16:28 |  #54

I have owned the original 5D the 5D Mark II, the 1D Mark II the 7D and the 1D Mark III. The 1D Mark IV is by far the best camera I have owned. The Af is phenomenal, the ability to shoot at High ISO's, the 1.3 crop is perfect for horse racing which is what I do mostly. I currently own a 7D a Mark IIn and the Mark IV. Do I miss the 5D Mk II? Kinda! If I could find a used one for under $1500 which I think they are worth, I would buy one, but I think they are a bit over priced at the moment, especially when you add the grip to it. Just my opinion......you don't have to slam me like I know some of you want to. I am happy you love the 5 series, it just isn't the camera for me.

JBF
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Aug 23, 2010 01:21 |  #55

ed rader wrote in post #10767688 (external link)
no surprise to me ... but then again you do have all three :D.

ed rader

And to be hones Ed the 5d is the least used now I have the MK4.

Gear List

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 23, 2010 05:46 |  #56

MaDProFF wrote in post #10755298 (external link)
In my view if someone is a photographer for a living should not be worrying about 2nd hand values, more the case if the body is going to make you more, or get you out of trouble more to get that shot you need.
If it was my profession and my living, and I was having to work out doors weddings and all, a 1 series for sure, but we all have different views, but if you have the right tools it saves you time and money in the long run.

I sold my 1D MK3 for just a few hundred less than I paid for it after 2 years.

well its what i do for a living and being a professional photographer means your in business. also means you make business decisions that are practical, make sense, and have a plan to support them. loosing $2500.00 over 2 years v/s $750.00 over 2 years plays into that business thinking.

Strictly from a wedding photographer point of view, the 5dmkII is probably the better choice. You get 2 bodies for less than what you pay for a 1 series body plus a little left over to get a couple of speedlights. I rarely shoot above 3200 iso and dont have much need at a wedding for a faster AF system. But my 7d handles anything that might require a faster AF system need. So again, the 7D and 5dmkII combo makes more sense to me,,less money than a 1dMKIV,, when your talking about a business decision.

But if you factor EGO into it, or if you factor expectations on the conmmecial side of the industry, then i could see where a 1 series would have to be considered.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 23, 2010 07:42 |  #57

^ thing is Mike, you keep saying you're going to lose ~$2500 on a 1 series over 2 years. Full price MSRP to the worst case used, sure, but if you're that worried about it time it right and you won't lose any more than you will on the 5Dii... When I owned my 1Dii (when it was current) I took a $200 hit after 18 months of shooting. I took a very similar hit on both my 5D and D700 in similar timeframes. Sure you might lose more than the ~$200 I did on my 1Dii, but $2500 is a pretty steep number.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 23, 2010 08:14 |  #58

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10771086 (external link)
^ thing is Mike, you keep saying you're going to lose ~$2500 on a 1 series over 2 years. Full price MSRP to the worst case used, sure, but if you're that worried about it time it right and you won't lose any more than you will on the 5Dii... When I owned my 1Dii (when it was current) I took a $200 hit after 18 months of shooting. I took a very similar hit on both my 5D and D700 in similar timeframes. Sure you might lose more than the ~$200 I did on my 1Dii, but $2500 is a pretty steep number.

your right,,i was looking at what the mkIII's are going for today but i forgot to consider they are now 2-3 years....still a big hit after a couple of years. Shoot, im so happy with my line up,,ill probably wear out the 5d's before i make a change. I personally could not be happier. Well i could but my wife would kill me if i even mentioned the 300 f/2.8:p

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

dinny66
695 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 23, 2010 08:28 |  #59

Interesting thread.
I think it's always going to be 'horses for courses' as they say.

Shooting sports and nature, the 1D4 was the natural choice. I want an AF system that works fast. Check. I want fast fps, Check. I want to not worry about getting clobbered by a player, mud, footballs or rain. Check check check.
I looked long and hard at the 7D and was very close, it's a fine camera.
5D2 not in the running. As you said Mike, it's a fine wedding camera and would be first in my bag for that.
Resale value? Didn't really think about it like that. As and when it goes and something new comes along, it'll be worth what people will pay. But methinks it might be a while yet (and the bank balance will have the final say, as ever lol).
It is a lot of money, but it is a lot of camera. And as someone said, if its sport/nature/journo work then join the queue, you won't regret it.

I love mine, can you tell? lmao.

Best of luck with your choice OP.

Mike

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 23, 2010 09:23 |  #60

umphotography wrote in post #10770762 (external link)
well its what i do for a living and being a professional photographer means your in business. also means you make business decisions that are practical, make sense, and have a plan to support them. loosing $2500.00 over 2 years v/s $750.00 over 2 years plays into that business thinking.

Strictly from a wedding photographer point of view, the 5dmkII is probably the better choice. You get 2 bodies for less than what you pay for a 1 series body plus a little left over to get a couple of speedlights. I rarely shoot above 3200 iso and dont have much need at a wedding for a faster AF system. But my 7d handles anything that might require a faster AF system need. So again, the 7D and 5dmkII combo makes more sense to me,,less money than a 1dMKIV,, when your talking about a business decision.

But if you factor EGO into it, or if you factor expectations on the conmmecial side of the industry, then i could see where a 1 series would have to be considered.

I think that loss is not quite as bad as you think, if take into account wear and tear on lower spec equipment, and most of all tax gains, depreciation in a business of course, with vat saving.

Of course as you say it is if you are happy or not with what you got.

sponsored links

9,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
I just borrowed a 1D4 for a week....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.