Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Aug 2010 (Friday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HDR Sucks!!!

Jeff ­ Colburn
200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 20, 2010 15:31 |  #1

You have got to read this post, it's great. http://lewiscollard.co​m/cameras/hdr-sucks/ (external link)

Have Fun,
Jeff

If you're interested in photography, stock images of Arizona and Fine Art Prints of Arizona, visit www.JeffColburn.com (external link)

sponsored links
lespaulowner
809 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 20, 2010 15:40 |  #2

What a goof, but I think I can see where he's coming from. HDR's a lot easier taking three photos and tone mapping rather than getting a flash, an nd filter, or whatnot

Antonio
I'm a level 14 photographer who can't defeat the Paintball Gym leader known as Gary Baum until I get the 300mm 2.8L IS II USM stone.
flickr (external link)

lespaulowner
809 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 20, 2010 15:41 |  #3

Not to mention the amount of people doing it wrong, including me. lol

Antonio
I'm a level 14 photographer who can't defeat the Paintball Gym leader known as Gary Baum until I get the 300mm 2.8L IS II USM stone.
flickr (external link)

AxxisPhoto
Goldmember
1,893 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 20, 2010 15:48 |  #4

That was :lol::lol:.

Web: Erotiklab (external link)(NSFW)

Kaigler
500 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 20, 2010 16:00 |  #5

lespaulowner wrote in post #10758184 (external link)
What a goof, but I think I can see where he's coming from. HDR's a lot easier taking three photos and tone mapping rather than getting a flash, an nd filter, or whatnot

How is it easier to buy filters and flashes? HDR is difficult to do correctly. I agree with that. And a lot of people are not even coming close. I'm tired of traditionalist old timers trying to temper contemporary ideas and methods. Things change. Get over it (not speaking about you specifically - just in general).

Canon 5D Mk III - Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 20, 2010 16:11 |  #6

I hope his next article is on the suckiness of the saturation slider. ;)

neonlazer
343 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 20, 2010 17:07 |  #7

This guy is funny..pop up flash to fill in shadows..LMAO...(Most HDR's that I have done are wayy beyond what the onboard flash can do..any most likely any flash unless you have the sun behind ya)

Now I agree you can go too far..like I did with this HDR..hehehehehe :P

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2507/3830680275_49c8457ed1_b.jpg

Flickr (external link)
Gear

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 20, 2010 17:27 |  #8

I get he's trying to be funny, but he just comes off poorly. All the negatives he talks about (well, most of them anyway) can be found in other types of photography, and with other techniques. He talks about getting a ND filter for an effect? If you're shooting the ocean at sunrise/set - especially with a ND filter - you're getting a Tri-pod. If you shoot RAW, you're spending time in front of a computer.....

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 20, 2010 17:45 |  #9

neonlazer wrote in post #10758599 (external link)
Now I agree you can go too far..like I did with this HDR..hehehehehe :P

Yeah....that qualifies as too much. I like HDR that does not look like HDR.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,517 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 20, 2010 18:09 |  #10

JeffreyG wrote in post #10758744 (external link)
I like HDR that does not look like HDR.

Same thing for flash usage.

GtrPlyr
480 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 20, 2010 18:43 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

when every one does the same thing, it cheapens and annoys.
but, someone will say, lots of people had cameras and darkrooms and produced images in the same fashion. you're just being a luddite, sticking to your old ways.

the difference is that, we never saw everybody else's crappy pictures. its the cream of the crop (usually) made it into the public realm. now, with mass communication, we're all privvy to everyones attempts at 'creativity" both good and bad

Gear List: A Brownie. I call it a Brownie cuz it fell in the toilet.

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,913 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 20, 2010 20:22 |  #12

The only "HDR" I like is the kind where you'd have to inform me it was HDR. Or to be more precise... HDR is supposed to look real. When it doesn't, that isn't HDR, that's just silly post processing.

I found the more interesting read to be Reinhard's site (Linked in the OP article). This is really all there is to say about "HDR":

Please understand that HDR is not a style that you can either like or dislike. High dynamic range imaging has nothing to do with artistic freedom. What you see here is an artifact of the software that you choose to use, in combination with the parameters you choose to abuse.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 20, 2010 20:34 |  #13

Mike Deep wrote in post #10759400 (external link)
The only "HDR" I like is the kind where you'd have to inform me it was HDR. Or to be more precise... HDR is supposed to look real. When it doesn't, that isn't HDR, that's just silly post processing.

I agree! There should be two categories....HDR and Grunge Processing. That Grunge look has nothing to do with HDR other than using the same software. HDR should be an image with a High Dynamic Range, nothing more....nothing less. Taking an image and applying Tone Mapping does NOT make it a HDR image.

Needless to say, there is a lot to learn about HDR for most people.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

Kaigler
500 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 20, 2010 20:45 as a reply to  @ TGrundvig's post |  #14

I don't really care as long as I find an image pleasing to look at. All of these rules and values people try to apply is crap. Everyone has their own style and what they like to do. You don't have to like someone else's work - that is your own prerogative. If I look a piece of work in a gallery and I don't care for it - that doesn't mean it is any less valuable. It just means I didn't like it. HDR doesn't have to be one way or the other. People have the choice to do it how they see fit. I have seen a lot of terrible HDR work that looks like radioactive waste. But I have seen some amazing images that don't look "natural," yet is still very pleasing to look at.

This is an old argument that was not started and will not end here. Everyone has their own ideas :)

Canon 5D Mk III - Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 20, 2010 20:56 |  #15

Kaigler wrote in post #10759484 (external link)
I don't really care as long as I find an image pleasing to look at. All of these rules and values people try to apply is crap. Everyone has their own style and what they like to do. You don't have to like someone else's work - that is your own prerogative. If I look a piece of work in a gallery and I don't care for it - that doesn't mean it is any less valuable. It just means I didn't like it.

If you decontruct this argument, at the core it is pointless.

Art is great even if everyone thinks it sucks? No!

On an individual basis, if a piece of art is disliked by one person then this does not matter. If a piece of art is disliked by most everyone then this is because it sucks.

It's OK to have an opinion on art. Feel free to state 'that sucks'.

And if I think a piece of art sucks and most people like it, then I feel challenged to try and understand what I am missing. But do not discount the validity of your own opinion. Some people's art really does suck. That's OK.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

8,583 views & 0 likes for this thread
HDR Sucks!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.