Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 05:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you buy the best? Or Do you work with what you have?

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 23, 2010 19:19 |  #106

Sam|McGuire wrote in post #10774424 (external link)
I don't even have a credit card.

credit cards are fantastic, the only people who shouldn't have them are the people who forget they have to pay their bills at the end of the month. As long as you pay your card off every month you can get great rewards and many other perks for free.

I make a few hundred dollars every year simply by putting almost everything I can on my American Express card.

back to topic, I save and buy what I want, I never settle for something lesser because in the end I'll regret it and lose money selling the gear I didn't want to buy the stuff I wanted.

sponsored links
it`s ­ me
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 23, 2010 19:51 |  #107

there are times when I don`t have the cash on me nor access to an ATM, thats when I use my card, but I pay it off immediately...learned my lesson a while ago.

LynC
312 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 23, 2010 22:49 |  #108

I learned long ago to buy the best that you can afford and justify. Going cheap first always costs one in the long run when they find out it doesn't do the job! That said, there is no substitute for talent! There are some very gifted people that can take a "throw away camera" and put most of us to shame using it! The bottom line in my opinion is to do the best one can and enjoy the experience!

minkynuts
24 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 24, 2010 02:21 as a reply to  @ LynC's post |  #109

I have worked for local newspapers for more years than I like to remember, in that time I have had the sigma 70-200mm zoom sold it and bought the Canon 70-200 IS, i did not sell more photos with the canon than the sigma, I have at the moment the sigma 120-300mm 2.8 and recently the canon 300 2.8, I have sold
more images from the sigma than the canon. In both cases the Canon lenses were a very expensive overkill
for the work that I do and that is the case for most people if they are willing to admit it. Remember "White"
lenses are not always the best lenses for your situation

Rob

eg6turbo
388 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 24, 2010 17:32 |  #110

Reading past a couple pages I usually save for what I want in more practical terms. If I find value in a lens then that's the one I want versus having a RED RING on it. I think its different when your using lenses for work tho. I would buy the best of the best for what I need.

| Canon Rebel T2i Gripped | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 50 1.8 MK II | EF 85 1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II |

Zerimar
Goldmember
3,529 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 24, 2010 17:40 |  #111

The bitterness of poor quality outlasts the sweetness of a low cost.

I usually buy stuff only after considering it for a while. I figure it is better to spend the extra money sooner than later and get the best quality lens that will last me years and years of use. Eventually I will only have to upgrade bodies down the road because I will have all the lenses I could need :)

Rick Rose - Add me! (external link) Photography Los Angeles California Hasselblad H2 x2 + Phase One IQ150 | Canon 5D MkII | RRS TVC-34L BH-55
HC 35 f3.5 | HC 100 f2.2 | HC 120 f4 Macro |HC 50-110 f3.5-4.5 | 85 f1.2 MkII L | 100 f2.8 Macro | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | Profoto + Mola
Gear List | Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 24, 2010 17:50 |  #112

Buy cheap, buy twice ...

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,775 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 24, 2010 18:10 |  #113

I buy the best at the critical points and buy what works at the non-critical points. For instance, the speakers attached to my computer are not "the best" because I never listen to anything other than computer sounds and youtube videos on my computer. I have much better speakers attached to my stereo system, on which I listen to much better than mp3 recordings.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 24, 2010 18:26 |  #114

one way to look at it, a poor boy who loves to play and enjoy his guitar even he doesnt have the best and expensive instrument in the world but he who knows how to play produce the best tune, on the other hand a rich kid who has everything and can get the best instrument doesn't produce the same tune. go for the ones that you'll enjoy and can bring out the best in you.

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 24, 2010 18:29 |  #115

It depends what you consider "the best". I buy stuff used (stuff that may have been "the best" at the time) and am generally satisfied with it. Sigma lenses are a good trade off for performance/cost, I can't afford to buy all 'L' lenses. I don't buy the best necessarily, but I buy things that will suit my needs. My 85mm f/1.8 is a great lens, I love it... I couldn't see spending the money on the f/1.2L. Another example is my Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 which I use quite a bit, I paid $220 for it. I've wanted the 17-55IS since I started but it's expensive, now the Sigma 17-50OS is out (wish it was the same price as the Tamron equivalent) however I'm considering full frame (5Dc) now so maybe I am better off doing that instead.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2010 09:11 |  #116

"credit cards are fantastic, the only people who shouldn't have them are the people who forget they have to pay their bills at the end of the month. As long as you pay your card off every month"

I use my credit card for almost everything, but ALWAYS pay it off in full each month. The extra protection against fraud and damage in transit is a godsend.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 25, 2010 11:09 |  #117

Jerobean wrote in post #10774746 (external link)
credit cards are fantastic, the only people who shouldn't have them are the people who forget they have to pay their bills at the end of the month. As long as you pay your card off every month you can get great rewards and many other perks for free.

I make a few hundred dollars every year simply by putting almost everything I can on my American Express card.

One of the great credit card myths. You have paid for anything you get "for free" by the time you can get it. Even if you pay cash, you pay extra for credit card users to get their "free" stuff. Surely you can understand there is no "free stuff".

Buy the quality you NEED. That may not be "the best" at all. Most people here are confusing "want" with "need". We all make choices about what we want, and wanting something may be a good reason to get it, but there is an enormous amount of what people want that is simply a creation of marketing and insecurity.

Very few photographers actually NEED the very best of anything for the photography they, in fact, do. What they think they do and what they say they want to do may need good equipment, but what they actually shoot and what they finally do with their photographs can very often be done with just "decent" equipment.

I know many photographers who never approach the technical limitations of their equipment. I know, and see on the web, many photographers for whom the main motivation for top of the line gear seems to be so they can say they have better stuff than the photographers they meet.

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 25, 2010 11:24 |  #118

"Need" I associate with work.
"Want" I associate with fun, much or even most of my gear is about that, it's a hobby after all. :)
As long as you're honest about this with yourself I see no problem.

Some people seem to think camera gear is only about photography. They are so wrong. :)

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 25, 2010 11:25 |  #119

I buy the cheapest possible configurations

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 25, 2010 12:21 |  #120

If I buy something new, I always buy the best.
I wanted a 70-200mm and I got me the 70-200mm II.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

sponsored links

17,622 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you buy the best? Or Do you work with what you have?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.