Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Aug 2010 (Monday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony alpha user wondering to go Canon

Katalyst
812 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 24, 2010 05:43 |  #16

By all means, I wouldn't render Sony out... When I talked to a sales manager last time he told me some things that could seriously upset the entire market as we know now... He traveled to Germany where head of the photography business comes together every now and then and look at the future, now according to his findings there will be no more Canon and Nikon in 8 years... Only Sony, Pentax/Samsung and I thought Olympus will remain, I'm only sure he noticed the first two though! For me that's hard to believe, but I can't question his integrity when it comes to the business!?

sponsored links
Elisha
577 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 24, 2010 05:59 |  #17

The 2 new Sony models are gonna be great if they as all they are hyped up to be.

Nikon D750
flickr (external link)

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 24, 2010 08:22 as a reply to  @ Elisha's post |  #18

The new Sony models are really innovative actually. If I wasn't stuck with a bunch of Canon lenses, I would actually give them a shot. 10fps + pellicle mirror + good EVF for $650. That's ridiculously radical in a conservative market like DSLRs, and had Canon released it as a Rebel this whole forum would be shouting praise from the roof.

WRXTACY
763 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 24, 2010 09:21 |  #19

Good Canon flash for starters is the 430 EX II. Cant use it as a master but if you keep it on the camera your images will still improve ten fold over the pop up flash.

PS Sony NEX-3 has 3D Panorama mode which is pretty neat :)

-Brandon-
Canon 5D Mark 2 | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 L | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 IS L
Full Gear List | My flickr (external link)

Afield
146 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 24, 2010 10:34 |  #20

Katalyst wrote in post #10777263 (external link)
By all means, I wouldn't render Sony out... When I talked to a sales manager last time he told me some things that could seriously upset the entire market as we know now... He traveled to Germany where head of the photography business comes together every now and then and look at the future, now according to his findings there will be no more Canon and Nikon in 8 years... Only Sony, Pentax/Samsung and I thought Olympus will remain, I'm only sure he noticed the first two though! For me that's hard to believe, but I can't question his integrity when it comes to the business!?

I'd love to hear his rationale, as this prediction makes little sense to me. I could definitely see Sony taking over the consumer camera/video camera market, but the sheer number of pro/enthusiast Canon and Nikon glass owners out there aren't going to suddenly ditch the two companies that control the majority of the market.

EOS 7D, 300 mm f/4L IS, 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Katalyst
812 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 24, 2010 12:16 |  #21

I have no idea how, and he didn't tell me either... That's why I also said that it's hard to believe, let's just hope he's wrong!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 24, 2010 12:24 |  #22

It seems like your plan is to trade your Sony kit and spend some money just to end up with the same kit you have now only it says Canon on the front. What will that possibly gain you? You'd be better of spending that on some of those nice new lenses Sony just released.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 24, 2010 12:26 |  #23

Something crazy would have to happen for all those pros with thousands invested in Canon and NIkon lenses to suddenly drop them in the bin and switch to Pentax or Sony.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Andrew ­ Mckay
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 24, 2010 12:30 |  #24

I started out on the Sony a100 and the kit lens. Got the Sigma 10-20 and had some great fun and learning curve. I still keep the Sony on me as a walk about when I go into dangerous areas. Still love the a100

My problem came when I wanted to get new lens and there was a very small selection ( I am in South Africa so not sure what it is like your side) I ended up jumping to Canon and have not regretted it for one moment. Great selection of cameras and lens even over here

and once you're gone,you can never come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black.
Neil Young

Afield
146 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 24, 2010 12:32 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #25

Nikon's new D3100 (an entry-level SLR) has continuous AF in its HD video recording mode. I'm pretty sure that they and Canon aren't going to sit by and let Sony steal all of their market share.

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 24, 2010 12:39 |  #26

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #10774557 (external link)
A brand new Canon Rebel XS with kit lens can be had for about $425 on ebay.

Here's a good deal that ends in just over an hour.

http://cgi.ebay.com …773745?pt=Digit​al_Cameras (external link)

That's what I bought for my wife and she's loving it so I think the XS is the way to go for you (the OP)if you were looking at the XTi.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

xcel730
603 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 24, 2010 12:52 |  #27

It's not impossible, but highly unlikely. Just like back in the 80s(???) when Nikon dominated the pro market and then Canon's autofocus was much faster .... pros dump their Nikon and switch to Canon. However, given today's technology, it'll be difficult for Sony to invent something that Canon/Nikon cannot replicate in a year or so.

________
[Gear List]
Quote: If the grass is always greener on the other side, then maybe you should start working on your own grass.

Afield
146 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 24, 2010 13:29 |  #28

xcel730 wrote in post #10779335 (external link)
It's not impossible, but highly unlikely. Just like back in the 80s(???) when Nikon dominated the pro market and then Canon's autofocus was much faster .... pros dump their Nikon and switch to Canon. However, given today's technology, it'll be difficult for Sony to invent something that Canon/Nikon cannot replicate in a year or so.

And note that Nikon didn't exactly go out of business after losing market share to Canon.

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 24, 2010 13:39 |  #29

Why is this like almost every other thread going off-topic here? The OP wants to ditch
Sony and go to Canon, let it be, give some recommendations on the matter and carry-on!

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Elisha
577 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 24, 2010 13:53 |  #30

His reasoning for ditching it is based on propaganda mostly...
Btw the reason that Sony has many intro level models is because it is called market infiltration.
And Sony never made claims to ever want to compete in the pro sports segment. They are content in the studio segment with the a900/850.

Nikon D750
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

10,583 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony alpha user wondering to go Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.