Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Aug 2010 (Saturday) 15:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sell 5dc for 7d, am I crazy?

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 22, 2010 20:10 |  #46

MichaelBernard wrote in post #10764181 (external link)
The 5dc wasn't a prosumer camera. Recent drops in price have made it such, but it wasn't geared toward the same crowd as the xxd bodies.

Just do a quick google search and you'll find many review articles dating back to its production as a prosumer body.

sponsored links
phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 22, 2010 21:05 |  #47

Given the stupidly low price of a 50D these days I think you should get rid of the Xti (if you've still got it) and grab a 50D, or even a 40D for example. The ergonomics over the Xti alone are worth it IMO, and AF will probably be better too. Crop factor over the 5D will be handy, then switch to the 5D if light drops and you find you need the better ISO performance.

eninety
383 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 22, 2010 22:16 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

to op thats what i did.

canonfaithfulforever
430 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 23, 2010 12:36 |  #49

I wouldnt loose the 5D unless you were going to concentrate on the sports side most of the time, maybe compromise and go all out and get the 1D2, then you dont go back to really small sensors but get fantastic quality in most situations.

Gear List - Flickrexternal link - Wordpressexternal link - 500pxexternal link

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 23, 2010 14:51 |  #50

^ IMHO the 7D blows the 1Dii out of the water in terms of IQ. The 5D is/was a very special camera though (I think mostly because of the AA filter and the fact most of us didn't have FF for thin DOF before it came along), so I can see why everyone loves them, but the 7D does a lot of things very well and some of those things the 5D simply can't do... It's picking the right tool for the job you NEED to get done, and making it work for the rest.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 23, 2010 15:09 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #51

jacobsen1 wrote:
picking the right tool for the job you NEED to get done, and making it work for the rest.

just get both, it's only money.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 23, 2010 15:37 |  #52

If you're serious in moving into sports photography.
The 7D will blow you away.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,026 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 23, 2010 22:41 |  #53

MichaelBernard wrote in post #10764843 (external link)
How can you say that the 5d is inflated in terms of value? For entry level full frame the value is awesome.

At the same time the 5D was selling for $2,500 new, the 1D MkIIN was selling for $4K plus,. the 5D other than it's FF sensor had none of the 1D's advanced features, no weather sealing, lackluster 30D AF system,. the same old battery that had been around since the D30 released in 2001, it had next to no improvements regarding sensor tech vs, the MkIIn, it was just larger with the same exact pixel pitch..

Now the MkIIn is selling used for less than 1/4 it's original price,. where as the 5D, again, with none of the MkIIn's refinements, is still getting close to half it's original price used.

IMHO the demand for it is impressive, and is clearly what drives it's used price, but compared to the entire 1 series as it stands, the used price is inflated.

Compared to other FF? I conceed it is a good value, but this thread is not asking about other FF, it is comparing it to other cameras that again, outpace the 5D in every aspect.

So the next conclusion, the next heresy I will state, is that "Full Frame" (sic) is in itself greatly over valued.
I see many on this thread jumping up and down saying "you don't need fast FPS to shoot sports" "you don't need fast AF", "you don't need more MP" "You don't need lower noise" etc.. etc.. " so the 5D is better".

But what happens to these same "you don't need" people when someone says "you don't need the 5D's larger (older, less advanced, noisier, lower MP) sensor to do the job"

What happens then?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,026 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 23, 2010 22:52 |  #54

mattjns93 wrote in post #10763041 (external link)
I just got a freelance high school sports job....

I'm now going to buy a 70-200 2.8 IS. However, I was thinking, is it really worth it to sell my 5dc for a 7d so that I can have the better AF, 1.6x crop, and faster fps?...

Sorry folks, the 5D is great, but please read the question...

The answer is Yes.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Camera ­ Nerd
935 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 24, 2010 00:16 |  #55

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #10775936 (external link)
At the same time the 5D was selling for $2,500 new, the 1D MkIIN was selling for $4K plus,. the 5D other than it's FF sensor had none of the 1D's advanced features, no weather sealing, lackluster 30D AF system,. the same old battery that had been around since the D30 released in 2001, it had next to no improvements regarding sensor tech vs, the MkIIn, it was just larger with the same exact pixel pitch..

Now the MkIIn is selling used for less than 1/4 it's original price,. where as the 5D, again, with none of the MkIIn's refinements, is still getting close to half it's original price used.

IMHO the demand for it is impressive, and is clearly what drives it's used price, but compared to the entire 1 series as it stands, the used price is inflated.

Compared to other FF? I conceed it is a good value, but this thread is not asking about other FF, it is comparing it to other cameras that again, outpace the 5D in every aspect.

So the next conclusion, the next heresy I will state, is that "Full Frame" (sic) is in itself greatly over valued.
I see many on this thread jumping up and down saying "you don't need fast FPS to shoot sports" "you don't need fast AF", "you don't need more MP" "You don't need lower noise" etc.. etc.. " so the 5D is better".

But what happens to these same "you don't need" people when someone says "you don't need the 5D's larger (older, less advanced, noisier, lower MP) sensor to do the job"

What happens then?

agreed the original 1d mark II (non n) presents an ever better value used. ive used a 1d mark II, and actually find the 24-70 much better range on it then on my 7d. i had one but returned it as i am saving my pennies up for a 300 2.8:)! but im sure ill get the 1d mark II very soon

canon 7d, canon 5d classic, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 (non-is) L, .
my flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/51827770@N04/ (external link)

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 24, 2010 01:10 |  #56

I went from a t1i to a 1dmk2. Bought from adorama for $550. Works great. I understand what 1d users were saying about having trouble with rebel build quality after handling the 1d, although I'll admit I'm thinking about getting something smaller and lighter as a walkaround cam.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 24, 2010 01:36 |  #57

What happens then?

Yep. This.

What does full frame really get you over a crop body when all is said and done? A wider depth of field range and a weaker antialiasing filter. That's it.

The other advantages that others normally attribute to full frame (namely, high ISO performance) are a direct consequence of its ability to give you a shallower depth of field (well, strictly speaking, all the attributes in question are a direct consequence of projecting onto a larger sensor). Equalize the depth of field while maintaining the same angle of view and shutter speed and the full frame advantage disappears. Even diffraction is very nearly a wash: the full frame camera hits the diffraction "limit" 1/3 of a stop later than the crop camera after you equalize the depths of field.

This means there is one, and only one, question that you need to ask when you're considering crop versus full frame: do you need the extra-shallow depth of field the full frame camera gives you? Or will the crop camera give you a sufficiently shallow depth of field? If the crop camera gives you a shallow enough depth of field then you may as well get all the other advantages it brings to the table: better autofocus (at least in the Canon line), faster FPS, larger lens lineup (EF-S lenses and their third party equivalents are now on the table), greater portability, more "reach", and generally lower expense (however, there are some caveats here).

There are some special cases where full frame is the only way to go. If you need wide angle and shallow depth of field, it wins. If you need a tilt/shift lens to give you ultra-wide-angle shots, the full frame is the only thing on the table. If you need your full-frame circular fisheye lens to produce a full circle, you need full-frame (but keep in mind that Sigma sells the 4.5mm f/2.8 circular fisheye specifically for crop cameras, and it covers a wider angle than their 8mm full-frame circular fisheye does on a full-frame camera).

Whether or not the crop system actually costs you less than a full-frame system depends on the depths of field you will typically need. If what you need requires an aperture between f/2.8 and f/4 on full frame then full frame will be cheaper (because you'll have to go with primes on the crop camera to get the equivalent depths of field while you can get away with zooms on the full frame side). And obviously if you need shallower than f/2.8 on full frame then crop simply won't get you what you need regardless of price. But if you can generally get what you need from f/4 or slower on full frame then you'll be able to do very nearly the same thing with f/2.8 zooms on the crop setup, and you'll probably be able to get your entire system cheaper on the crop end than on the full frame end. I suspect the vast majority of people are in that last category. But each individual has to decide for himself what he really needs.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 24, 2010 08:10 |  #58
bannedPermanent ban

What happens then?

They crop and realize that you do? I'm seeing a pattern of you not liking the 5dc :lol:

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Aug 24, 2010 08:42 |  #59

This is an easy move! Go 7D! Your shooting sports for crying out loud!

1.6x crop factor for reach: Check
MP: Check (For cropping needs on those action shots!)
FPS for the action: Check (Yes you can catch action on a 5dc but the 7D is the better tool, in sports every FPS counts because the actions change so quickly for mili second to mili second)
Focus System: Check (Sorry but its way ahead of the 5d. This is no contest regardless of what anyone says)
ISO Performance: Excellent (No need to worry as usable images are had at 1600 and even 3200)
Build: Ive taken my 7D out in the rain naked with no issues. I never worry about its build quality. Is it 1d? No but its still damm good.

Then next year when the 5DC continues to drop for pennies you can pick up another one if you want, with the money you make off the 7D ;). Right now the 5DC sells for a decent amount. Cash in like CyberDyne is saying. I wouldnt even hesitate on this. Mike you just cashed in on the high value of the 5dc right? Im surprised your not saying do the same! ;):D

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

swerv927
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 24, 2010 08:52 |  #60

At the end of the day, for the needs of the OP, 7D is the way to go. This will be a paid job(s), if you end up missing FF that much, you'll be able to earn enough cash to purchase a used 5Dc in no time. If you even end up missing it.

Irving Jai
IrvingJai photography (external link)

sponsored links

8,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sell 5dc for 7d, am I crazy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.