Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A55: 16 MP, HD Video and 10 FPS w/AF, Built in IS, GPS, Swivel Screen

Er1kksen
175 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 23, 2010 21:09 |  #31

bjyoder wrote in post #10769637 (external link)
Wouldn't the point of a pellicle mirror be to show a TTL view through the viewfinder? Why would they go through the trouble just for the AF? As mentioned earlier, there will be a delay in the display to the EVF, which sort of defeats the point of a high speed camera; you can't shoot the catch that you can't see. And - something I just thought of - you'd still have blackout while the shutter is moving across the sensor to make the exposure, hence defeating the pellicle mirror again.

Modern EVF tech can still give a faster visual readout than your brain can process to react, so there's really little to know real-world delay for good EVFs nowadays. Most of what's been put in still cameras up to this point (with the exception of the Panasonic G1/10/2/H2) has been a bit behind the capabilities of the technology.

40D, 85mm f1.8, DC 952AF flash

sponsored links
Er1kksen
175 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 24, 2010 00:02 as a reply to  @ Er1kksen's post |  #32

Well, they're here. My prediction/hope has not manifested, but they look like some impressive pieces of kit nonetheless (the strange fact that the mirrors still flip up when desired [for... cleaning?] which is unnecessary, as just making them fixed and sealed would make everything simpler and eliminate the need for cleaning gives me some hope that it might show up in the A700 replacement, maybe?).

With the cheap primes Sony's been adding to the lineup (50mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 85mm f2.8) their lineup is looking more and more appealing for serious photo enthusiasts and not just the soccer-mom crowd.

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 24, 2010 00:11 |  #33

Looks good on paper as an action camera...but Sony completely failed at taking advantage of the pellicle mirror.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/sonyslta55/p​age8.asp (external link)

The A55's 'headline' 10fps rate is impressive, and is a feat only matched by two other cameras currently on the market, the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV and Nikon D3S. To get the maximum 10fps performance, it is necessary to switch to the dedicated setting on the A55's exposure mode dial. In this mode, exposure is automatic. Setting focus set to 'single' mode gains you the ability to shift the aperture/shutter speed settings and adjust ISO but you lose the ability to refocus between shots, making the mode less useful for many applications.

Whilst the A55 gives very impressive performance in terms of speed and burst depth, two things let it down when shooting continuous bursts. The first is a recovery time of 50 seconds, for some of which time the camera is essentially unusable...

The second major issue with the A55's continuous shooting is that it cannot maintain live view in 10fps and 6fps capture.

n paper, the SLT A55 should be an ideal tool for shooting fast action. It can shoot at 10fps with continuous autofocus. The A55 also has a trick up its sleeve that even the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV cannot match - because its mirror is fixed, the AF sensor can operate full-time, without interruption. This should ensure more accurate continuous AF performance, since the camera is constantly being fed data with which to make the necessary calculations.

That's the theory, but unfortunately it isn't born out in practice. We have found that when presented with fast moving subjects...focus accuracy is far from 100%. In 10fps mode it is clear that the A55's AF system is simply unable to predict subject position accurately when presented with fast-moving subjects at relatively close range, and in a typical sequence of images of cyclists on a track, whilst the zone of focus shifts from frame to frame, it is almost always slightly behind the intended subject.

More problems detailed in the DPReview link. On the plus side, it has GPS.

I have no idea why it still gets a "Gold Award".

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 24, 2010 00:33 |  #34

Canon 1N RS is back. :p

Gear List
ACCD

Er1kksen
175 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 24, 2010 00:40 |  #35

toxic wrote in post #10776332 (external link)
Looks good on paper as an action camera...but Sony completely failed at taking advantage of the pellicle mirror.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/sonyslta55/p​age8.asp (external link)

More problems detailed in the DPReview link. On the plus side, it has GPS.

I have no idea why it still gets a "Gold Award".

Probably because while not a perfect implementation, it's still a darn impressive little thing, and highly innovative. :D I wouldn't say they totally failed at taking advantage of it. Sure, it's not at a 1D performance level, but the hands-on review section over at Imaging Resource stated that the burst-mode strangeness got a lot easier to deal with with a little practice.

Yeah, it looks better on paper than it is in real life (what camera doesn't?) but it's still easily the most capable, action-camera-wise, in its price bracket by a long shot.

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 24, 2010 00:55 |  #36

Er1kksen wrote in post #10776424 (external link)
PYeah, it looks better on paper than it is in real life (what camera doesn't?) but it's still easily the most capable, action-camera-wise, in its price bracket by a long shot.

The 7D didn't let anyone down...or at least it didn't let me down. And I dunno about you, but I think most people want their kids and friends to be in-focus, which a 500D or D90 can deliver perfectly fine.

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 24, 2010 01:52 |  #37

Wow, based on the spec sheet, that is one nice camera...

Gear

Er1kksen
175 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 24, 2010 07:32 |  #38

toxic wrote in post #10776487 (external link)
The 7D didn't let anyone down...or at least it didn't let me down. And I dunno about you, but I think most people want their kids and friends to be in-focus, which a 500D or D90 can deliver perfectly fine.

...and which these cameras are probably pretty evenly matched against. The 500D and D90 aren't fantastic sports shooters either; any camera you buy in this price bracket is going to have performance issues for action situations and it's up to the photographer to develop the skills to work around them so that they're not an issue. Heck, I've shot sports (track and baseball) with the notoriously slow Pentax K20D, and people for decades before us have been shooting sports with all-manual film cameras, etc.

Yeah, the 7D is great. But like even the top pro cameras on the market, some situations will confuse its AF or metering, but like all other cameras the marketing literature for it would have us believe that the 7D's systems are too good to ever let that happen.

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 24, 2010 08:17 as a reply to  @ Er1kksen's post |  #39

This is a really exciting camera, especially at the price point. Not surprised that it's a third party pushing innovations though, neither Canon nor Nikon have a lot of incentive to take radical steps at the moment. Hopefully this will get them squirming a bit.

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 24, 2010 08:25 |  #40

ingraman wrote in post #10777769 (external link)
...Hopefully this will get them squirming a bit.

Canon should be squirming.. The video AF works!
http://vimeo.com/14376​901 (external link)

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 24, 2010 08:45 |  #41

They certainly get an "A" for effort. Let's hope it works so C&N have to do the same.

Christian

keileo
265 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 24, 2010 09:22 |  #42

price wise the specs are amazing, got me interested

996gt2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 24, 2010 10:47 |  #43

Updated original post with OFFICIAL specs and prices:

UPDATE 2: Reviewed by DPReview...GOLD AWARD

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/sonyslta55/p​age17.asp (external link)

A55 preorder price is $750 Body Only. A33 is $650 Body Only.

http://www.sonystyle.c​om …N=4294951742#/p​anel_prod1 (external link)

Official Specs:

* 16.2MP (effective) APS HD CMOS sensor
* Fixed, pellicle-type semi-translucent mirror
* Maximum ISO 12,800 (with a quasi-ISO 25,600 'Multi-frame NR' option)
* 15-point phase-detection AF array with 3 cross-type AF points
* Electronic viewfinder with 1.44 million dot resolution (1.15M dots used)
* Built-in GPS
* Electronic level in EVF/LCD with pitch/roll indicator
* Dual-purpose Memory Stick/SD card slot
* 10fps continuous shooting rate
* 1080p AVCHD movie mode with continuous AF
* Articulated 3in 'TruBlack' LCD with 912k dots
* Socket for external microphone
* 2x magnification mode in live view
* Face-detection AF (focus via nearest phase-detection AF point)

This is one heck of a camera for $750. I know that many of you are comparing it to the 7D, but keep in mind that the 7D costs twice as much. There is a huge price discrepancy there. At the $750 price point, Nikon's D90 and Canon's T2i do not compare very well to the A55.

Buy/Sell Feedback
5Dc, 50D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 430EX

JoeyBowman
855 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 24, 2010 11:01 |  #44

996gt2 wrote in post #10778582 (external link)
At the $750 price point, Nikon's D90 and Canon's T2i do not compare very well to the A55.

And because of that I hope that canon and nikon will truly step up their game instead of re releasing old cameras with one new feature.

Maybe its time for a new, $1000ish full frame body?

Gear
My Website (external link),

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,274 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 24, 2010 11:08 |  #45

Whoa,. with those specs, at that Price, is the the Giant ( Canon Nikon ) killer for sure.
16MP, full HD video, 10FPS, and internal IS :-) for $750.00! Nice!

I'm still not sure how this will effect the final product.. ?

The designation 'SLT' stands for single lens translucent and it's the 'translucent' bit that's the key to what differentiates these new models both from conventional DSLRs and mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. The SLTs do have mirrors, but they're mirrors that let the majority of the light pass straight through to the sensor, rather than having to swing out of the way to allow exposure. As a result they are fixed in position, always reflecting a portion of the light emerging from the back of the lens onto a phase-detection AF array housed in the top of the camera. (A newly-developed 15-point array in the case of these two cameras).

This is some weird stuff.. read the info on DPReview.

Now they need to get some fast USM type AF motors in their lenses.. and maybe with some firmware, or next model, they will get eh predictive AF needed for a 10FPS camera to work on par with some of the other bodies,

But still to get this level of performance from a $750.00 camera, leaving us having to compare the AF with the $4.5K 1D MkIV... I mean wow.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

28,361 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony A55: 16 MP, HD Video and 10 FPS w/AF, Built in IS, GPS, Swivel Screen
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.