Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 19:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storing on a netbook

Eclyps19
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 24, 2010 19:28 |  #1

I'm leaving for africa in 2 days and have decided to bring my wife's netbook with me. It's only a small 10" 1.6GHz Atom with 1GB, but it's got a 120GB HD and will let me view my photos enlarged.

I'll be shooting in both RAW and medium jpeg, but I'd like to have a little bit of flexibility with my RAW files if I get some spare time. Nothing more than adjusting exposure and minor tweaks. Think Picasa would be fine or this? I'd really rather not transfer my copy of Lightroom to her netbook, but I don't know if I want to just drag and drop and hope the RAWs are fine (I know the chances are next to nill, but for example, what if something is happening to my raw images - corruption - I would never know unless I viewed them)

Thanks

Canon 30D | Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 380 EX Flash

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 24, 2010 19:51 |  #2

The netbooks are slower than regular laptops, but they will work fine. If you can download infranview (I think that's the name) software, it's free on the internet. It can show the RAW files. Works great. Picasa is fine, too. I doubt you'll have time to do too much editing during a trip, so when you get back home, just move the images to a portable hard drive. That's what I do so I don't use up the GB's on my netbook. Make sure you bring a card reader, though.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Eclyps19
THREAD ­ STARTER
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 24, 2010 19:55 |  #3

card readers are always good :)

I'm bringing 38GB in CF, 320GB in external disk space, and 120 in netbook disk space. I'm planning for the worst!

I'll check out Infranview. Thanks for the suggestion.

Canon 30D | Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 380 EX Flash

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 24, 2010 20:01 |  #4

Fastone is also good on the netbook, it's fast if you use the embedded jpeg image viewing option.
It also has a small memory foot print, about 100k, depending of the file your viewing.

You should upgrade the memory to the max, it's not that expensive.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 24, 2010 20:01 |  #5

If you get a $50 external USB harddrive, you can have two copies of all photos, one on the netbook internal harddrive and the second on the external USB drive...before erasing and reusing your CF cards. What a wise man would do.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 24, 2010 20:03 |  #6

I also upgraded my 1GB RAM to 2 for about $20.

My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 24, 2010 20:04 |  #7

Eclyps19 wrote in post #10781660 (external link)
card readers are always good :)

I'm bringing 38GB in CF, 320GB in external disk space, and 120 in netbook disk space. I'm planning for the worst!

Better check out that netbook hdd. I bet it has two volumes w/60gb each - one for the operating system and one for other stuff like your pics.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

Eclyps19
THREAD ­ STARTER
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 24, 2010 20:07 |  #8

MT Stringer wrote in post #10781720 (external link)
Better check out that netbook hdd. I bet it has two volumes w/60gb each - one for the operating system and one for other stuff like your pics.

nah. I consolidated the two partitions when I bought it. It's at about 109GB after the OS install on a single partition.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 24, 2010 22:09 as a reply to  @ Eclyps19's post |  #9

SuzyView wrote in post #10781641 (external link)
The netbooks are slower than regular laptops, but they will work fine. If you can download infranview (I think that's the name) software, it's free on the internet. It can show the RAW files. Works great. Picasa is fine, too. I doubt you'll have time to do too much editing during a trip, so when you get back home, just move the images to a portable hard drive. That's what I do so I don't use up the GB's on my netbook. Make sure you bring a card reader, though.

Irfanview (external link) is what I use. I have DPP loaded but that only runs, er crawls, when I'm attached to an external monitor. I've expanded my Acer Aspire One netbook to 500 GB HDD and 2 G B RAM. I've also downloaded Teracopy (external link), which is a serious improvement over XCOPY or the built-in Windows file moving/copy capabilities when you have large (RAW from the 7D or 5D2 decided me) files to shift around.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 24, 2010 22:12 |  #10

Jon, you know I can't spell to save my life! :)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 24, 2010 22:14 |  #11

That's a mandatory qualification for Mod status. Ask Jake! :{)#

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 24, 2010 22:15 |  #12

Yeah, Jake ought to know. :) Now, are we going off topic here? ;)

Back to our story. . . .

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 25, 2010 01:28 |  #13

Just install lightroom on the netbook. In fact the samsung nc10 that I am typing on for this post has lightroom installed. Sure it's not all that fast, but it isn't slow either.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 26, 2010 05:01 |  #14

Not worth doing any sort of processing on a netbook.

1. Who wants to spend holiday time in front of a PC screen working?
2. It's extremely unlikely that the screen will be good enough for accurate colour rendition.
3. Anything that tries to work with raw files will be as slow as a comatose sloth in treacle.
4. The less you fiddle with the images, the smaller the chance of accidentaly deleting them.
5. If you do find a corrupted image what are you going to do? Go back and get the lion to pose again?

Stick Irfanview or FastStone on the netbook. They both do a great job of displaying the embedded jpegs - which are easily good enough to spot the obvious duds. And good enough to show off in the bar (if you're not in your room processing all night).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,887 views & 0 likes for this thread
Storing on a netbook
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.