Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 08:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Difference between XTI and 40d in low light?

Badfisherman
178 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2010 08:44 |  #1

I am really wanting a 40d for the xtra shots per second and am told that they are much better in lowlight. However, I have two REALLY good deals for XTi's right now and am wondering if me as an average shooter will notice the difference? Most of my shots will be outside and during lowlight conditions(hunting type situation). Does anyone have both that could post a couple pics from the same situation for me? Thanks.

Brian

sponsored links
ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 25, 2010 08:49 |  #2

Not that much better in low light, if at all. I've owned both, never noticed a difference in image quality in low ISO or high ISO. 40D is a much better camera in terms of functionality though.

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2010 10:50 |  #3

I second that. The 40D's only advantage in low light, high ISO pictures are the out-of-camera jpeg shots where it has a built in high iso noise reduction function, whereas the XTi doesn't (or if it does, it's subtle and non-switchable in the menu). The XTi has more chroma noise in its high ISO jpegs. But RAW files are very similar from the two (maybe the 40D is better by a tiny bit).

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,277 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 25, 2010 10:56 |  #4

The 40D might be a tiny bit better in high iso performance as noted above. But the 40D wins on almost all other counts.

Badfisherman
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2010 11:03 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #5

Thanks guys for reaffirming. I'm still looking!!! Patience is not my strong point.:rolleyes:

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 25, 2010 11:36 |  #6

I agree with the others that the 40D is only marginally better for noise. I have, however, found its focusing to be a little more accurate and consistent in low light situations (centre point focus only).

In addition, it's bigger, brighter viewfinder would make it a little easier to find/follow subjects.

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

sponsored links

873 views & 0 likes for this thread
Difference between XTI and 40d in low light?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.