Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 24 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 21:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography as a future. Good or Bad?

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 25, 2010 06:16 as a reply to  @ post 10783997 |  #16

I got an idea, if your parents object to your taking photography related classes...pay for them yourself. Self payment does tend to focus the mind a bit.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links
neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 25, 2010 06:33 as a reply to  @ post 10782177 |  #17

While not a pro myself, I would agree with the above posts. Go for the Business degree minoring in photography.

If you want to make a living, you need to make sure the business side is covered. A percentage often quoted in the business section in this forum is 90% business, 10% photography.

Also a business course will likely cover marketing and advertising as well as the legalities - no business will survive without a marketing plan (of some sort).

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

swerv927
108 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 25, 2010 09:09 |  #18

My suggestion is you choose a career to focus on and maybe minor in photography. Spend your spare time, developing your skills, taking small jobs here and there, and seeing if its possible to make it on a larger scale.

To be honest, 5-10 years ago, I would of said go for it. You didnt see many people that carried DSLRs. But recently theres just too many people out there with DSLRs, half of which know very little about photography, and can impress potential customers just by having the gear alone. People assume because you have a fancy camera, you can take great pics, and with tons of people purchasing them now, theres a flood in the supply of "photographers".

It will make it tough to sell your self, as time progresses.

Irving Jai
IrvingJai photography (external link)

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 25, 2010 10:52 |  #19

25 years ago I worked in photography, and digital imaging was just a curiosity on the edge of the horizon, but we all knew it was going to mean the end of our jobs, someday ( I was working in a commercial photo lab) We were right, there is very little photo lab work being done these days, but there are as many or more people making a living with digital imaging.
I suppose now, with the advent of Pro level cameras in the 1-2.5 k range, and home printers capable of pro results at around 1-1.5k, the working pros have got to be thinking they are living on borrowed time too.
Listen to your parents, or go to work with a photographer for awhile and see what the lay of the land is. If you can't earn enough to pay for college doing it, why would you think you could pay for a family doing it?

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2010 11:21 |  #20

JeffreyG wrote in post #10783997 (external link)
College is extremely expensive, and I would not invest in it unless you are getting a degree in a field that requires a degree. I'd also only do this in a field where you can get an actual job with such a degree.

Examples would be engineering, finance, accounting, medicine etc.

You don't need a degree to become a photographer, and I'll point out that I can't actually imagine there being 4-years of study worth of information to be picked up.

My suggestion? Get a B.S. in business and minor in photography. The business degree will ultimately be of more use to a professional photographer as 90% of the job is figuring out how to make money taking pictures.

This was pretty much what I was going to post.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 25, 2010 11:27 |  #21

I agree with nicksan and others who have said getting a degree in something that has a more solid future is the way to go. The OP couldn't be in a better market to test the waters in professional photography. NYC offers the most diverse market in the world, it also is saturated to the limit with photographers of every description. IMO he should only do this after building a solid foundation first.

High end technical photography isn't going away but the field will stay somewhat static while the aspirants to it will surely grow. The writing is on the wall already in some other facets of photography, they shouldn't be ignored.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

Daedalus34r
477 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 25, 2010 12:58 |  #22

JeffreyG wrote in post #10783997 (external link)
My suggestion? Get a B.S. in business and minor in photography. The business degree will ultimately be of more use to a professional photographer as 90% of the job is figuring out how to make money taking pictures.

Excellent advice. I'm finding that it's quite easy to learn about photography on my own, through experimentation, online reading, forums, guide books, etc. It's not worth spending exorbitant sums of money for official education.

The hard part comes to marketing your skill and running the business that revolves around your photography.

BODY :: EOS 7D, EOS 50D
GLASS :: 17-55 f/2.8 , 50 f/1.4 , 70-200 f/4L IS, 150 f/2.8 EX Macro , 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX , 30 f/1.4 EX
EXTRAS :: 430EX II , Kata R-103 Bag , Tenba Messenger Bag :: WISH LIST :: 100 f/2
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro Review

sponsored links

4,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography as a future. Good or Bad?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.