Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 12 Feb 2010 (Friday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Planning an African Safari

Eclyps19
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 25, 2010 07:06 |  #91

I'm leaving for my Botswana/South Africa trip tomorrow. I'll be bringing a 30D, 7D, 17-50 2.8, 100-400L, 38GB of CF, 320GB external HD, 120GB Netbook, and an old PowerShot.

I'm seriously contemplating a tripod/monopod/both. The 100-400 is a rental and I spent the past couple of day shooting with it and boy does it take some getting used to. The lens in incredible, but I'm definitely worried about low-light situations. I could really use the extra few stops. I'd also love to take some long exposure night shots, as some of the camps we are staying at overlook some beautiful landscapes. Weight, of course, is an issue, though. Seems like there are quite a few conflicting opinions on whether or not a tripod/monopod would get much use, especially during drives. Oh... decisions, decisions, decisions...

Canon 30D | Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 380 EX Flash

sponsored links
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 25, 2010 10:02 |  #92

From what you say I would take a tripod. I'd also consider whether you need two bopdies. yes, you get a back-up in case of problems, but if weight is an issue then I'd take the 7D and 100-400 and 17-50. I'd also just take the netbook. It's a risk, but you won't need two bodies with those lenses. On safari most of your shots qwill be with the long lens, like 98%, and the 17-50 will be handy around camp. So you can just swap as needed. Early morning and late afternoon are prime shooting time, so the 7D will give you decent ISO performance to enable the necessarfy shutter speed. The 30D I'm less confident about in that regard, but I have used the 30D on safari and never had a problem with shutter speed issues. I would absolutely take a bean bag. I don;'t think the 100-400 IS stabilisation is consistently good enough to hand hald - beanbag and tripod as necessary will be way better. The 100-400 aklso has issues with some filers so check with and without. If weight is not a big deal then sure, take the 30D and external drive. I usually shoot way less than 8GB on a day shooting - focus on composition rather than machine gun shooting style. You'll get better images IMO and have less junk to cull in the evenings.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

Eclyps19
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 25, 2010 10:21 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #93

luckily camera bodies are pretty light, and if for whatever reason something DOES happen to the 7D, I really really feel like I need a backup.

I also don't want to be swapping lenses (at all, if I can help it) during the dry season. The 17-50 will always be on the 30D and the 100-400 will always be on the 7D.

If it comes down to it, I don't really need clothes... right?????? :)

I'm heading out after work to compare some tripods. Hate spending so much on something I won't use very often, but it'll be worth it.

Canon 30D | Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 380 EX Flash

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 25, 2010 10:29 |  #94

You actually don't need many clothes as it is so dry you don't notice sweat at all. Shorts, short-sleeve shirts and sandles will do most days, but can be chilly early morning and evening, so a fleece essential too. Don't forget a ballhead: Manfrotto 488 is probably the minimum for the 100-400, but if just doing landscapes you can manage without IMO.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

rossmtbiker
29 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 25, 2010 12:14 |  #95

riyazi wrote in post #10748894 (external link)
Hope you have a great trip. AYLIS will definitely make it a memorable one for you!

Riyazi, an especially big thanks to you and Teo. Your photos are outstanding and your blog was very helpful to us.

delaford321
23 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 01, 2010 18:36 as a reply to  @ post 9726103 |  #96

In high school I went on a safari, I don't remember the name of it...but oh my goodness, you're going to have a great time! Our safari was in northern Tanzania...what beautiful countryside... Enjoy your trip!

eden pure heaters (external link) | Tennessee gift baskets (external link) | ceramic additive (external link)

riyazi
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 02, 2010 04:04 |  #97

rossmtbiker wrote in post #10785964 (external link)
Riyazi, an especially big thanks to you and Teo. Your photos are outstanding and your blog was very helpful to us.

You are welcome - glad that I could be of some help!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tweets (external link) | Google+ (external link) | flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear

rossmtbiker
29 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 07, 2010 16:05 |  #98

One more sleep! :-)

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,167 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 07, 2010 16:19 |  #99

rossmtbiker wrote in post #11053959 (external link)
One more sleep! :-)

Have a GREAT time... Remember to soak up all of Africa, not JUST the animals.

Do what your guide tells you. :)
Negotiate like a banshee for souvenirs.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 08, 2010 03:33 |  #100

DragonSpeed wrote in post #11054038 (external link)
Negotiate like a banshee for souvenirs.

And make sure you know the proper prices. The roadside curio shops in Kenya all seem to have turned into major rip-off joints. I like to give malachite figures as gifts and wanted to buy two lions in one shop. I reckoned on $75 - 100 but he insisted that $150 was his best price and looked most disgusted when I walked away. Later in the week I picked up two, slightly larger and better quality, lion figures for just $87. And that was in the Nairobi Hilton! My friend, who can't barter, paid $120 for a Masai nanga and a beaded belt. Half that amount would have been fair.

Oh, and see how many equators you can cross in Kenya. We found five equators along the Nyeri to Nakuru road, anything from 200m to 25 km from the real equator (I had a GPS for geotagging).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,167 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 08, 2010 10:00 |  #101

hollis_f wrote in post #11056921 (external link)
And make sure you know the proper prices.

Too true! In Zanzibar, they were asking over $100 for a small "Zanzibar Chest". We ended up paying $35. Wow.

Oh, and see how many equators you can cross in Kenya. We found five equators along the Nyeri to Nakuru road, anything from 200m to 25 km from the real equator (I had a GPS for geotagging).

I bet you EACH one of those "Equators" has a half dozen roadside tourist stands and 30 odd guys holding beads and t-shirts :D :rolleyes:

Merlin ­ Driver
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 11, 2011 23:22 as a reply to  @ DragonSpeed's post |  #102

Does anyone have any updates on planning a trip to Kenya or Tanzania??

TIA..

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,167 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 12, 2011 11:04 |  #103

Merlin Driver wrote in post #12578185 (external link)
Does anyone have any updates on planning a trip to Kenya or Tanzania??

TIA..

Do you have any specific questions? A lot has been covered.

Merlin ­ Driver
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 12, 2011 14:00 |  #104

DragonSpeed wrote in post #12579969 (external link)
Do you have any specific questions? A lot has been covered.

True, I was wondering the same guides were in business and if things were still safe.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 12, 2011 16:29 as a reply to  @ Merlin Driver's post |  #105

We did a quick photo safari last June in South Africa tied to a business tip. HUGE difference in tagging along with a camera on regular tourist safari, and being part of a purpose built photo safari. Look for key items such as no more than one photographer per vehicle bench. We rented 500mms, tripods, and wimberly mounts from Stu. We brought our 7Ds, 40Ds, 100-400s, and 1.4TCs. Most of the time I have a 500mm and 1.4TC on the 40D and the 100-400 on the 7D. Most of my shots were with the 7D. That has to do with the terrain around Kruger park. In larger more open savannas in East Africa, you might want your best camera body on the longest lens combo.

We used Wild 4 Photo Safaris: http://www.wild4photog​raphicsafaris.com/ (external link). Most of Stu's safaris are in South Africa. He also does them in East Africa. We have already booked 14 more days for next June....all at our cost...not a business trip.

We wore the REI Safari line of shirts and pants. They are very compact to pack, wick away moisture, protect you from the sun, and hang dry overnight. The shirts are available in long or short sleeve. You can get shorts or long pants that have zip off legs (instant shorts).

Best of luck with your safari adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!

sponsored links

23,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
Planning an African Safari
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.