Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Aug 2010 (Monday) 16:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question regarding a buyout.

aepoc
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 23, 2010 16:22 |  #1

I know that possible buyouts have been talked about quite a lot here and there, and I know that the answer to if someone would do it is "well it all depends". Yes, we all have our price, and it most definitely depends on the image.

All that said, I am looking to contact a country club/golf course in regards to a photo that I took last summer. I happen to live in an apartment complex that's right off the green on the 18th hole... and I took the photo one morning before work, around 5.30am.

Here's the photo (4-shot panorama):

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3657605777_90382241fb_b.jpg

The original file is 8116 x 2309, which would lend itself to a pretty sizable print. I can see a number of applications that the image could be used for, and hopefully, they'll want at least a print of it.

Basically what I'm wondering is, if this was your photo, and the people you contacted regarding it wanted to buy all rights to it, what would you release it for?

Canon 7D+grip, 40D+grip, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 60mm f/2.8, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 430ex flash, Canon 430ex II flash
aepoc.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,502 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 23, 2010 16:28 |  #2

aepoc wrote in post #10773807 (external link)
I know that possible buyouts have been talked about quite a lot here and there, and I know that the answer to if someone would do it is "well it all depends". Yes, we all have our price, and it most definitely depends on the image.

All that said, I am looking to contact a country club/golf course in regards to a photo that I took last summer. I happen to live in an apartment complex that's right off the green on the 18th hole... and I took the photo one morning before work, around 5.30am.

Here's the photo (4-shot panorama):
QUOTED IMAGE

The original file is 8116 x 2309, which would lend itself to a pretty sizable print. I can see a number of applications that the image could be used for, and hopefully, they'll want at least a print of it.

Basically what I'm wondering is, if this was your photo, and the people you contacted regarding it wanted to buy all rights to it, what would you release it for?

Sell them unlimited usage for a reasonable price for unlimited usage and offer them a complete buy out at a price that if they did buy it you really make some real money. Try and stir them to the unlimited usage that way they get what they get unlimited usage and you keep the rights.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 23, 2010 16:33 |  #3

I have licensed specific usage for an unlimited time but never a buyout. I interpret a buyout as unlimited use and you would price at the most expensive application and multiply the number by three to five times depending on the size of the client, national or global use, uniqueness of the image, etc.

I have a small series of images that I licensed to a global client that should come back and license the same images for their website and I have a range in mind for them but I will need more information on their needs. There should always be discussion about their expectations and specific usage. I would never, did I say never? I would never transfer copyright or give unlimited usage unless there were a lot of 0's on their check. Quality images have value and when used in the right application, they are truly assets.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 23, 2010 16:51 as a reply to  @ tcphoto1's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

www.asmp.org (external link)
all you ever wanted to know regarding licensing and buyouts
www.fotoquote.com (external link)

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 23, 2010 17:25 |  #5

Best forum ever. Thanks a lot TC (you're right about there needing to be a LOT of zeros on the check), and you too, again, Karl. Is there any specific wording you would use when basically "cold-calling" a potential customer to see if they want to use an image you made that they have no idea exists?

Canon 7D+grip, 40D+grip, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 60mm f/2.8, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 430ex flash, Canon 430ex II flash
flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 23, 2010 17:31 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I'd probably be more tactful and slowly approach it rather than
"I have this image, I can sell you for 10 grand. What say you?"

Maybe go by, drop off your card and ask if there are any opportunities coming up, or have they thought of any why they would want pro advertising shots done of their facility.

Consequently you could probably offer our image then, while accompanying your contract with them (if there is one).

I'd probably have more chance e-mailing the queen of england and asking her if she would like to buy one of my limited edition 40x60s" and then cover the shipping, packaging costs on top of it from here to the motherland than if you were to walk in and say XYZ amount for this please.

Another idea would be....perhaps go by and chat them up a bit, tell them about this amazing image you shot and would they be interested in a gigantic print of it in their main hall or clubhouse? Offer a price, or perhaps you could work out a consignment deal where you offer prints for sale through them of their golfcourse. Also ask if you can drop a stack of your cards or brochures.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 23, 2010 17:35 |  #7

Hahahaha. Ten grand would certainly help.

Good thinking Karl, about going in an dropping off my card and asking if they have thought about having professional photos done of their facility. I like that approach. I'm thinking, would it be beneficial to have a small print of this photo when I go in, to help sell the idea? I don't think it could hurt.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 23, 2010 17:37 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

It seems like a lot of money when you have no liabilities but after breaking down the costs and doing up a budget you realize just how little even the best and most expensive of photographers make....sadly.

I think you have a good idea on the print.

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 23, 2010 17:40 |  #9

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10774205 (external link)
It seems like a lot of money when you have no liabilities but after breaking down the costs and doing up a budget you realize just how little even the best and most expensive of photographers make....sadly.

I think you have a good idea on the print.

I can appreciate how little $10,000 would be after a budget and everything for pro photographers. To date, I haven't made all that much from licensing my photos out... yet. That will definitely be changing.

Thanks again Karl. :cool:

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

Tigershark
904 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 24, 2010 07:27 |  #10

A lot of country clubs have limited budgets for this type of work, have you walked around many? I have seen the economy hit them just like every other industry. a lot of their shots are ariels. My approach would be to barter and try and get a CC membership out of it.

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 24, 2010 18:42 |  #11

I see what you're saying Tigershark. I was hoping to get something sweeter out of the deal than a membership... hell, I'm all for bartering. Problem is, I friggen hate golf. :)

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 24, 2010 18:46 |  #12

I didn't take the time to read all the responses..so sorry if this has been covered.

I'd offer the limited use for a specific amount of time for a size able amount of money....where I think I could make more money would be to take 4-5 more shots, print them on canvas, and then split the the country club a portion of the sales...maybe 15%...print them, sign them and make them a limited collection. Then next year do another 5-6 images. I'd start my pricing on the limited edition country club art at no less then $1200 per piece and print it large....with maybe a few "prints" on photographic paper that start around $350.

Just my $.02

By the way....nice image!

I'd order a studio sample that is 72" wide in a gallery wrap and show it to the Director of Golf.....If he agreed to offer it in the shop and they hit a specific sales target then you would provide a signed one for him at no charge.....

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 25, 2010 07:31 |  #13

Taygull... good ideas, most definitely. I'd want to make sure I would be able to sell the large canvas prints at the Country Club before I dropped the money on getting them done up in the first place. Hopefully that makes sense.

I've already ordered a 15" wide print of it that's mounted on foamcore as a sample for them to see. I figured at that point, I can get some larger prints/canvas ones done and sell them there. Hopefully. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advise, and the comment on my image. Glad you like it.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 25, 2010 12:48 |  #14

Order a big one as a studio sample...I'd be careful showing a small image.....order a 30" or 50" wide one, most labs (if you are a pro) will give you a discount for a studio sample!

Remember.....if you want to sell big....show big!

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 26, 2010 06:20 |  #15

Hmm... that's a pretty good idea Taygull. I'll think about it. :)

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,267 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question regarding a buyout.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.