Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 11:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a support group for people like me?

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 25, 2010 15:27 |  #16

markol wrote in post #10786846 (external link)
You should have had your wedding registry at B&H. :)

Now that's thinking clearly.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links
Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,840 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 25, 2010 15:57 |  #17

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10787048 (external link)
buhahahahahaha!!! :lol:

I break you, too :mad:

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2010 16:29 |  #18

Double income now? What's yours is hers... what's hers is... hers? ;)

If budget is tight, then Canon refurbs via Canon loyalty program, maybe? I believe both refurb 7D and 5DII are available options.

Camera pron... LOL. Heh.

| Canon EOS Systems |

deveraux
616 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 25, 2010 16:38 |  #19

Nathan wrote in post #10785792 (external link)
My rationale was supported by the notion that I'd upgrade to full frame eventually anyway.

If you are thinking of going full frame and have already sold some EF-S lenses, might as well make the jump now. I use my 5Dmk2 more than my 7D now, but when I shoot sports, mainly hockey, I use the 7D. Everything else, 5Dmk2.

www.ReicherStudios.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
1DX, 5Dmk4 | Canon 16-35L III | Canon 24-70L 2.8 II | Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS III | Canon 300L 2.8 IS II | Canon 100L 2.8 Macro | Canon 85L 1.2 II | Canon 24L 1.4 | Canon 50L 1.2 | Canon MP-E 65mm | Sigma 15 2.8 DX fisheye | Canon TC 2X III | MT-24EX | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T+Markins Q3T | Full Gear List

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Aug 25, 2010 16:42 |  #20

I might never graduate to full frame glory.

:lol:

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

VinnieJ
642 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2010 16:47 |  #21

Well if she ever brings up kids or if you guys already have them that is a great reason to spend on gear.

TxDiver
245 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 25, 2010 17:11 |  #22

Pay the mandatory bills, put some to savings, and split any that is left. This includes money for clothing, shoes, etc. Then you spend your half on whatever you want. If you want to buy ten thousand gumballs with your part, then so be it. The same goes for her shoes, purses, etc. I will never understand why guys fret over the spending on the camera toys. If you are fairly splitting the money that is above and beyond the needs, then it should be no issue.

Still, I always see threads like this, and worry over what the wife says. I will never ever understand this. You guys seriously need to put the pants back on and make your household run fairly. Enough said...

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 25, 2010 18:03 |  #23

"Fairly" is often a far cry from "happily". LOL

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,840 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 25, 2010 23:06 |  #24

I know I said I'd be in the doghouse, but that was in jest. It's not so much being worried about what she says. It's more about reprioritizing now that I am married. Our personal priorities - needs, wants, desires - have changed. I could have my own separate little stash of money, but I will always think to whether it would be better spent on shared priorities rather than selfish ones. What's new now is that we also have to think about us together, as a family. I have to prioritize saving up to buy a house, for example, or put away money for retirement or build up savings and help with her parents' needs in addition to my parents. For the record... she's the best wife I could ask for... she tells me to go ahead and buy now and pay it off later. I know better, though. :lol:

My pants are on and she's got hers on, too, to be fair. Our pockets aren't deep and we'll frequently dip into each other's loose change when needed. I wonder if TxDiver is single or married.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 25, 2010 23:21 |  #25

TxDiver wrote in post #10787623 (external link)
You guys seriously need to put the pants back on and make your household run fairly. Enough said...

LOL come on. "Putting the pants on" is secondary to paying the bills, and making sure everything is set and well. I know I screwed around in my first post, but I don't see how he needs to "put some pants on."

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

TxDiver
245 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 26, 2010 01:44 |  #26

mikekelley wrote in post #10789484 (external link)
LOL come on. "Putting the pants on" is secondary to paying the bills, and making sure everything is set and well. I know I screwed around in my first post, but I don't see how he needs to "put some pants on."

LOL. The comment was just for fun, because I see so many posts about the problems guys get for the (insert whatever expensive hobby here), and I always wonder why they don't set up a system with their wives so that there is no question over it. Of course the key is deciding just how much of the extra funds should go to the "personal" funds, compared with the "we need to save up together for this or that" funds. From Nathan's last post it sounds like he has a good sense of prioritization. :)

TxDiver
245 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 26, 2010 01:50 |  #27

Nathan wrote in post #10789377 (external link)
I wonder if TxDiver is single or married.

I have been making these kind of statements since long before marriage was in the picture, and back then people loved to say, "Oh, you wouldn't know how it is then," or "well when married if you want to be happy then it is this way," but guess what...work out the agreeable system, and it works out.

Your post sounds like you have a sense of wanting to prioritize the important things in life, so my comment in this case doesn't really apply to you. My comment is more directed at those that have the needed things, and still somehow they have to get the wife approval to buy anything. This I do not understand, but that's just me.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 26, 2010 02:24 |  #28

TxDiver wrote in post #10790398 (external link)
LOL. The comment was just for fun, because I see so many posts about the problems guys get for the (insert whatever expensive hobby here), and I always wonder why they don't set up a system with their wives so that there is no question over it. Of course the key is deciding just how much of the extra funds should go to the "personal" funds, compared with the "we need to save up together for this or that" funds. From Nathan's last post it sounds like he has a good sense of prioritization. :)

LOL

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

ed ­ from ­ pa
299 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 26, 2010 04:07 as a reply to  @ post 10787048 |  #29

Nathan, you wanted to know if there is a support group for people like you?
That is like walking into a bar looking for a support group for alcoholics.
No support here, we all need support, maybe they should have a sticky on this forum for lens and camera addicts.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,430 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 26, 2010 06:36 |  #30

I tell myself I can't afford a big purchase right now but if I go to another crop, then I might never graduate to full frame glory.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Full frame glory ! :lol:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When you get married there really shouldn't be any bills.

If you have to go in debt to have the wedding - ELOPE

If you have to go in debt to go on a honeymoon - DON'T GO

If she says she wants to have kids soon after the wedding - DON'T GET MARRIED

You make bills after you get married by purchasing new camera gear!

YES - I am married, and if I want for a new piece of gear the wife asks me how it will help in my endeavor. I explain and it gets purchased.

sponsored links

4,430 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there a support group for people like me?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.