Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 22:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 60D Official Announcement.

eninety
383 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 26, 2010 10:21 |  #376
bannedPermanent ban

im not that impressed. but then again, what was left for canon to do? They made a more affordable, semi-prosumer camera, that's small enough to appeal to the masses but 'pro' enough to give some extra features not in the xxD lines. Lack of microadjust is just silly, swivel screen is a gimmick but im sure people will use it for video taping their kids and such because they can. SD cards... i can actually understand this because when i go to my local bestbuys they dont even carry cf cards. i usually have to order online, so there's the consumerist POV for that change. ISO performance will be inline with the 7d and the t2i. 5.3fps... really.... really... canon... 9 af points (although cross types)... really... at this level of competition 11points is bare minimum for anything more than the standard 7(am i wrong with this for the xxD line?). D90 replacement will kick it's butt imo according to the rumored specs.

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 26, 2010 10:25 |  #377

J_TULLAR wrote in post #10792603 (external link)
Dude the new sony camera slaps this thing in the face... just sayin.

while canon's lens lineup has been slapping sony's...since day #0.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 26, 2010 10:25 as a reply to  @ post 10792556 |  #378

More nonsense from Canon. Once in a while they give us a gem like the 7D, but most of the time it's bland, artificially crippled stuff like this. Where's the Canon equivalent of a Nikon D700 or a Sony A55? Where's the innovation? Hate how the company is so blatantly marketing controlled, it's almost insulting. It's not like Canon engineers aren't some of the best in the industry. Say what you want about Nikon, but at least they give the appearance of packing as much value in a camera as possible.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 26, 2010 10:29 |  #379

ingraman wrote in post #10792665 (external link)
More nonsense from Canon. Once in a while they give us a gem like the 7D, but most of the time it's bland, artificially crippled stuff like this. Where's the Canon equivalent of a Nikon D700 or a Sony A55? Hate how the company is so blatantly marketing controlled, it's almost insulting. It's not like Canon engineers aren't some of the best in the industry.

I know! How dare them try to make profits! Shame on them!

5D3 and a few lens
es.

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2010 10:29 |  #380

I was impressed due to the articulating screen, but I don't like the button layout. The 60D looks small too. That's some of the reasons I didn't like the T2i. I was looking for a 2nd body too. I just hope there's a full frame coming out soon with high fps.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

sixsixfour
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 26, 2010 10:33 as a reply to  @ post 10792450 |  #381

I think it really does fit the description of a "Super Rebel". Frankly for the price and what you get, I dont see how so many are complaining, when in fact they will probably never even use it to its full potential.

People are insatiable. Comparing the Sony to the 60D is absurd. Id pick the 60D over the Sony anytime. Im not going to jump ship just because of that.

Canon 7D / 50D / 30D / SL1 / XT

My photography-related addiction makes a crack habit look like a fiscally responsible pasttime.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 26, 2010 10:33 |  #382

HyperYagami wrote in post #10792659 (external link)

Not the lenses everyone actually buys. As a whole lineup, yes, but unless you are the elite few sports journalists who can have a stable of bit white primes, sony has a good lineup.

I mean the two "holy trinities" are easily replicated by sony.

35G/85 Zeiss/135 Zeiss, or 35/85/135L. Sony gives you a faster 135, Canon gives you a faster 85.

Same with zoom, 16-35/24-70/70-200 is avaialble in Sony.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 26, 2010 10:34 as a reply to  @ ecub's post |  #383

hpulley wrote in post #10792551 (external link)
But you just proved our point! None of us expected the 60D to be the expected upgrade path for an XS owner.

what is an XS owner supposed to upgrade to exactly? The x0D line makes perfect sense. The x00D line isn't enough of an upgrade and the xD series is likely too much. This body is still a very nice upgrade over a XS, but so is a used 40D and up IMHO...

fi20100 wrote in post #10792556 (external link)
You mean SD don't you?

yeah, whoops, I got overzealous with my hatred.... :lol:

ingraman wrote in post #10792665 (external link)
Where's the Canon equivalent of a Nikon D700 or a Sony A55? Where's the innovation?

I agree on the D700 w/o a doubt, but the a55? Have you read the reviews on it? If you shoot a sequence with it (a big part of the draw of the pellicle mirror and 10fps) you LOSE your view in the viewfinder... It switches to a slide show of the shots you've taken... How are you supposed to track action with that? Then, once you fill the buffer (in <3 seconds!) you have to wait 50 seconds before you can do ANYTHING with the camera again.

Talk about epic failure. The a55 is amazing on paper. It had a LOT of potential. But their implementation of it is just terrible.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 26, 2010 10:35 |  #384

cool, but sony is catching up my friend. Alot of their zeiss lenses are sharper than canons and at least they are making affordable primes.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 26, 2010 10:36 |  #385

I wouldn't say so...the CZ/G Series Sony lenses may be a bit more expensive, but they're all wonderful optically, plus all the third party lenses still work AND you can mount all the Minolta AF lenses on them as well with no issues.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 26, 2010 10:37 |  #386

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10792731 (external link)
what is an XS owner supposed to upgrade to exactly? The x0D line makes perfect sense. The x00D line isn't enough of an upgrade and the xD series is likely too much. This body is still a very nice upgrade over a XS, but so is a used 40D and up IMHO...

yeah, whoops, I got overzealous with my hatred.... :lol:

I agree on the D700 w/o a doubt, but the a55? Have you read the reviews on it? If you shoot a sequence with it (a big part of the draw of the pellicle mirror and 10fps) you LOSE your view in the viewfinder... It switches to a slide show of the shots you've taken... How are you supposed to track action with that? Then, once you fill the buffer (in <3 seconds!) you have to wait 50 seconds before you can do ANYTHING with the camera again.

Talk about epic failure. The a55 is amazing on paper. It had a LOT of potential. But their implementation of it is just terrible.

Didnt know this, thats pretty lame actually.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

thegary
89 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Aug 26, 2010 10:40 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #387

without saying this is crap , but it is if you have a 40D or 50D...its not a upgrade.
FIRST off, plastic body...really, and with a swivel screen...how long will it take for that to crack.
I didn't expect much in the MP increase, 15 is fine on my 50D. So 18 is a improvement. But really , no top lcd, plastic, SD, articulating screen ( what the F*(#(*#$) .

HAS CANON GONE COMPLETELY MENTAL!

As there are very cheap 50D's in canada, time to buy another one...

CANON seems to be moving towards being a video camera company..Didnt' they used to make SLR's at one time.

Look forward to seeing what NIKON come out with...

I really hope CANON read this and **** themselves...this is poor marketing...not only is this not a viable upgrade for 50D users, they have not hurt their T2i sales, as the 60D is so close.

Good luck canon, perhaps do some surveys of what you USERS would like , rather than picking straws from a hat.

thegary

TheGary
Canon 50D
Canon 70-200L F2.8 |Sigma 105 F2.8 EX Macro
Sigma 17-70 DG | Canon 580EXII Speedlite

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 26, 2010 10:41 |  #388

HyperYagami wrote in post #10792686 (external link)
I know! How dare them try to make profits! Shame on them!

Right, you think Nikon, Pentax, or Sony don't try to make a profit either? We're actually lucky that Nikon put some pressure on Canon with the D300 and D700, otherwise the 7D would've been crippled as well (or most likely, never released).

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 26, 2010 10:44 |  #389

I didn't see anyone mention (in the first 4 pages) that the 60D lacks a flash sync port. That's a deal breaker for me.

I've been waiting to upgrade from my 20Ds...but now that I see the 60D, I'll be considering either the 50D or the 7D.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 26, 2010 10:49 |  #390

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10792731 (external link)

First generation for such a camera, I'll cut them some slack. But at least they tried to do something different, take a risk with the EVF, pellicle mirror, price point, etc. That's the difference, they TRIED something new, they packed it with features, and they sold it for a fair price. Sometimes it seems that Canon is so comfortable with its big market share that it's afraid to innovate. It's really becoming the Toyota of the camera world, and we've seen how that can turn out.

sponsored links

125,455 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS 60D Official Announcement.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.