Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 06:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone disappointed by today's releases?

WayneHawn
260 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 26, 2010 18:17 |  #211

Combatmedic870 wrote in post #10795506 (external link)
Im actually interested in the 70-300 for hiking, if they dont release a new 100-400.

Its smallish, lightish, most likely VERY sharp, weather sealed, Ring type USM, 4 stop IS and is going to have a great build! Whats not to like about it? It seems to me, there will be a decent market for it. People who want to upgrade for their current 70-300IS that dont want to loose the 100 in range(or want to attach a TC) and Dont want the weight of the 100-400. We shall find out pretty soon I guess.

I am also interested in it. I love my 70-300 is usm. Add better IS, weather sealing, better ergonomics while using a filter and even beter IQ (I am one of those who think the IQ on the 70-300 is very good, but then I own one so am prejudiced toward my own gear), and I am pretty interested. (OK not at $1500, but at $1000........maybe)

Wayne
5d3; 24-70 2.8 Mkii; 70-200 2.8 IS Mkii

sponsored links
In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 26, 2010 18:22 as a reply to  @ post 10795685 |  #212

RetroBlader wrote in post #10795119 (external link)
Well, based on the average household income in the largest market for such goods, US$1000 has always been that magical line separating mass market and niche market.

Remember all the fanfare when the original Digital Rebel/300D came out, breaking that $1000 barrier for the first time?

We should be glad there are as many L lenses in the $1000-$1500 range!

Of course, some predict China and India will take over as the largest markets in the near future. Given the average household income there, demand for lenses over $1000 may continue to diminish. :shock:

So, let's treasure what we have.... :D

P.S. There is always rental for the occasional users. Near where I am, one can rent the 400/2.8L for less than $150/weekend. I'm sure something similar exists where you live (or there is always online rentals). If you are ready to spend $3000 (it sounds like you are), you can have it for 1 weekend every season for 5 years.

First of all, I'm not raving about the 70-200 Mk II (not yet anyway -- I'm renting it this coming weekend for my sister's wedding). However, it is one lens in your magical price range ($1500 < x < $5000) that has good IQ/AF/IS and can take TCs.

Why is there market for the 70-200 Mk II? Because just about every wedding photographer (and there are a lot of wedding photographers around) has or want one.

People routinely pay thousands of dollars for their wedding photography, but who is going to pay to have little Johnny's soccer game documented? How many people are career motorsports photographers? Wildlife photography is a very small market.

So in the end, without a secondary consumer market (e.g. weddings) to support the photographers, the demand will never be there for the $2000-$5000 lenses.

Sorry to disappoint you....

;)

Are you an economist? Do you work for Canon? All your points are based on what facts? Why does every lens have to be for the pros for it to be considered? If that were the case we would have no EF-S lenses, only Ls. I don't think you realize how many people are into photography and at the hobbiest level. The fact that there are numerous people even interested in the new offerings should clue you in just a little.

How many lenses have been introduced since the DSLR was introduced? How much more expensive are those lenses than the ones they replaced? The price of lenses has gone up significantly and people are still willing to pay for them. Just because YOU don't seem interested in a lens I am suggesting doesn't mean that there is no market for it despite the "numbers" you seem to base your opinion on?

While the wildlife photogs may not be all professionals there are MANY amateur enthusiasts that would be interested in the lenses proposed. Do you know how many people travel to places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Africa (Heck we have people here that go on a trip every year just for fun!) to photograph wildlife that will never get paid for a single image they take. And motorsports photogs don't all shoot for money. Spend some time in the photos section here to see what kind of gear folks have, what they are willing to spend, and why they shoot. I think your "facts" may get altered! ;)

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 26, 2010 18:48 |  #213

In2Photos wrote in post #10795741 (external link)
How many lenses have been introduced since the DSLR was introduced? How much more expensive are those lenses than the ones they replaced? The price of lenses has gone up significantly and people are still willing to pay for them. Just because YOU don't seem interested in a lens I am suggesting doesn't mean that there is no market for it despite the "numbers" you seem to base your opinion on?

While the wildlife photogs may not be all professionals there are MANY amateur enthusiasts that would be interested in the lenses proposed. Do you know how many people travel to places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Africa (Heck we have people here that go on a trip every year just for fun!) to photograph wildlife that will never get paid for a single image they take. And motorsports photogs don't all shoot for money. Spend some time in the photos section here to see what kind of gear folks have, what they are willing to spend, and why they shoot. I think your "facts" may get altered! ;)

I sincerely hope you are right since I actually considered saving for either a 400DO or 500L over the next few years to get past the 400/5.6 end of my 100-400L. The Bigma OS (50-500 OS in case there is any confusion) looked interesting but is too close to my 100-400L. I am also planning to go on an African safari in the next 2-3 years (my fiancee thinks the POTN one is too much for her to handle).

In fact, I only spoke so pessimistically (albeit realistically?) because I am not simply dreaming about such lenses.

Anyway, if the lenses I'm renting this weekend (the 70-200 Mk II and the 24L II) really impress me, my lens fund might get depleted in no time.

:lol:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
7,059 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 27, 2010 07:18 |  #214

What the heck, Canon? (rant).

50mm f/1.4
400mm f/5.6
100-400 IS

These are just 3 lenses that are in bad need of an upgrade.

So what does Canon do? They "upgrade" what is arguably the best lens they make in the 300 f/2.8 IS along with other super teles. vmadvmadvmadvmad

Canon, if you are listening, you dropped the ball on this one. BIG TIME.

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, PPP & MLI explained (external link)

photoPanda
616 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 27, 2010 07:20 |  #215

twoshadows wrote in post #10798862 (external link)
50mm f/1.4
400mm f/5.6
100-400 IS

These are just 3 lenses that are in bad need of an upgrade.

So what does Cannon do? They "upgrade" what is arguably the best lens they make in the 300 f/2.8 IS along with other super teles. vmadvmadvmadvmad

Canon, if you are listening, you dropped the ball on this one. BIG TIME.

Not if you have deep pockets and shoot sports or anything else that requires a 300mm+... ;)

On the upshot - those lenses are now one step closer to being updated.

Electric ­ Monk
306 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 27, 2010 07:22 as a reply to  @ twoshadows's post |  #216

dont forget they've got other events coming up including 1-2 new bodies, there's still time in the year for an update.

No f/8 but what we make
Chris
Blog (external link) :: Gear

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 27, 2010 07:27 as a reply to  @ Electric Monk's post |  #217

Think Canon cares more for entry level and then high-end sports photographers (where they can make more money). 60D clearly is not on same level as 50D was.

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,279 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 27, 2010 07:28 as a reply to  @ twoshadows's post |  #218

Dood.. This horse has pretty much been beaten to death. Do we really need to beat it some more?

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=922614

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
7,059 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 27, 2010 07:33 |  #219

gjl711 wrote in post #10798895 (external link)
Dood.. This horse has pretty much been beaten to death. Do we really need to beat it some more?

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=922614

Did not realize that it was necessary to do a search before posting a (short) rant. Feel free to disregard...

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, PPP & MLI explained (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 27, 2010 07:40 |  #220

twoshadows wrote in post #10798862 (external link)
50mm f/1.4

Agreed

400mm f/5.6

Will no doubt happen (with a nice big price jump)

100-400 IS

With the new 70-300L and primes I'm starting to suspect that Canon might consider 300mm the longest they'll go with zooms, or they'll come out with a competitor to Nikons 200-400 F/4 (and it'll cost big!) and drop the 100-400.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 27, 2010 08:43 as a reply to  @ twoshadows's post |  #221

agree, esp 50 1.4, it really needs an upgrade to compete against sigma's 1.4
will also be nice to see some prime priced under 1k

Gearlist

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 27, 2010 08:55 as a reply to  @ twoshadows's post |  #222

I think Canon and Nikon have been watching each other so long than Sigma has come along and bit both of them in the arse. There are quite a few Sigma lenses that hang and/or exceed the Canon/Nikon equivalent. It is also pretty obvious to me that both are more concerned with bodies as of late. This new body to beat the other guy's new body. But, Sigma keeps working hard on glass and they are getting better and better at it. Is there really a situation where a person was out in the field with a 50D and thought 'dang it, if I only had 2 or 3 more MP I could have gotten the shot I wanted." No! Going from 15 to 18 is nothing! I don't even want to know how much time and money was spent on the screen. That's just one more moving part that can break or get damaged some how. The demand for glass update is much higher than the demand for an articulation screen.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

dengar
987 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 27, 2010 09:05 as a reply to  @ twoshadows's post |  #223

You forgot the 35mm f2....talk about a dinosaur

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 27, 2010 09:06 |  #224

TGrundvig wrote in post #10799276 (external link)
I think Canon and Nikon have been watching each other so long than Sigma has come along and bit both of them in the arse. There are quite a few Sigma lenses that hang and/or exceed the Canon/Nikon equivalent. It is also pretty obvious to me that both are more concerned with bodies as of late. This new body to beat the other guy's new body. But, Sigma keeps working hard on glass and they are getting better and better at it. Is there really a situation where a person was out in the field with a 50D and thought 'dang it, if I only had 2 or 3 more MP I could have gotten the shot I wanted." No! Going from 15 to 18 is nothing! I don't even want to know how much time and money was spent on the screen. That's just one more moving part that can break or get damaged some how. The demand for glass update is much higher than the demand for an articulation screen.

name 'em.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

jmark252
128 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 27, 2010 09:08 as a reply to  @ twoshadows's post |  #225

I too am disappointed in the 60D.
I held on to my 40D through the release of the 50D and it looks like I'll be holding on to it for a while longer. As a mostly outdoor shooter, I still have my sites set on a 5D MkII / 7D combo. This seems to offer the best features of both sensor sizes in two fine cameras. The 60D has not changed my mind.

sponsored links

38,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone disappointed by today's releases?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.