Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Aug 2010 (Friday) 08:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sent body and lenses for recalibration

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 27, 2010 08:28 |  #1

I had some jostling of my luggage coming back from a trip recently, and sent the body and three zoom lenses in my sig to a very reputable shop recommended here. When they returned, I checked them with Lens Align Pro to get a baseline for the future if they get banged around again.

When I've had calibration donw by Canon, the two ends of the zoom on each lens were within 0 to +5 on microadjust. When I checked the 24-105 and the 16-35 now, the difference at the zoom extremes is 0 to + 8 for both lenses. All done at 50x focal length, ISO 100, lowest f/stops for each lens.

I've seen very good reports from multiple members on this private repair shop and when I spoke to the owner initially, he said his specs for calibration are tighter than Canon's, and that I probably would need no microadjustment for the lenses when he was done.

This appears not to be the case. He's away on vacation now. I must be missing something, and I just wonder if anyone has an insight here.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2010 08:42 |  #2

No experience on your calibration issues, but please be careful packing your gear where TSA people have access. I'm not saying everybody out there is dishonest, but my step-daughter and her boyfriend BOTH had cameras taken from their luggage on a recent trip.

My gear goes in the Tamrac bag and stays with me through security, on the plane to and from wherever I travel, every time I travel. This way, nobody has access to my gear but me.

I say this because something as simple as a couple sleeves of Titlest Pro V1 golfballs have been lifted from my golf travel bag during transit! The balls are kept in a designated area of my bag, are always packed in the same location and I only take as many as I think I'll need for a golf trip. Between Cleveland and Phoenix, they didn't disappear into thin air, someone REMOVED them!

Please keep your expensive camera gear with you at all times. This way, you won't have to send it off for calibration or worse, LOSE it to someone who has legal access to your in-transit bag/luggage.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 27, 2010 09:01 |  #3

snyderman wrote in post #10799196 (external link)
Please keep your expensive camera gear with you at all times. This way, you won't have to send it off for calibration or worse, LOSE it to someone who has legal access to your in-transit bag/luggage.

dave

Dave,

I'm with you on that. I generally carry everything on, but this time in Naples, I was forced to check my Pelican 1514. There were some problems but nothing was taken, just bounced around. No real equipment damage.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 28, 2010 12:08 |  #4

I hate the fact they require you to have an open bag no locks. I figure it was a union negotiated perc. Now the thieves they hire can steal easier. What they need is constant video watch on all bags. immediate dismissal and criminal prosecution for any one seen tampering with the bags.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 28, 2010 12:42 |  #5

They made me take the hard case and open it in Security and show them each piece. I think the Security guy makes a phone call to a co-conspirator in luggage to break into that bag. Fortunately, my two SecureAlert locks held up to a crowbar. Unbelievable.

Does anyone have input as to the question of sending equipment to an outside repair shop rather than back to Canon? This shop that I used had such good feedback on the Forums here as to the sharpness of pictures taken after they did work. Maybe I'm missing something with my calibration at home.

MA is always such a big issue here, someone must have feedback, esp on the LensAlign issue.

Jay

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

945 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sent body and lenses for recalibration
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.