Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 21:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why buy a G?

Chronoknight
156 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 24, 2010 21:28 |  #1

I'm thinking of buying an advanced P&S to back up my SLR kit, and I'm wondering why I'd choose a G over the S90 or S95. Both families have the same sensor and image quality and both have advanced controls and PAvTvM modes. The G11 does have an articulating screen, but the S90/95 is much more compact and has a brighter lens as well. The G may be a bit more rugged, but if I really wanted ruggedness I'd buy a waterproof, shock resistant camera. Is their any reason to sacrifice the small size of the S9x for a bulky G?

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - 15-85mm IS - Sigma 30mm ƒ/1.4 - 40mm ƒ/2.8 STM - 50mm ƒ/1.8 II - 24-105mm ƒ/4L IS
- 70-200mm ƒ/4L IS

sponsored links
neonlazer
343 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 24, 2010 21:34 |  #2

The G has more advanced options than the S series. Such as the flash bracket and second ISO dial. For what the G series series, I don't think it would be considered bulky. The S series is probably more designed for someone who just wants a regular point and shoot while the G series is mean't for someone who actually knows how to use a camera well. I am planning to get the G12 sometime after it comes out :)

Flickr (external link)
Gear

John ­ Baker
480 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 25, 2010 08:31 |  #3

It is all about what you want/need, if size is your biggest issue, go with the S and you will be more than happy. However, if you want a bit more flexibility, such as the option of adding additional lenses (wide or even telephoto), add filters (close-up, polar, Neutral Density, etc), use external or possibly off camera flash, then the G may be the right tool for you. While it is a little bigger than the S, it is definitely not DSLR size – the one thing in photography you very quickly learn is it is all about compromise and that in reality there is no single perfect camera, just cameras which excel at certain things. While the G is far from perfect, like many small cameras it can be considered an ergonomic nightmare, but to many, the G does a lot of things very well and is their camera of choice.

John Baker
Canon 1D Mk III plus IIN, G11, Siggy 12-24, Nifty Fifty, 24-105L, 35-350L, 400L, Tamron 180 Macro, EX430/550/580 & ST-E2

Needsnow
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 25, 2010 09:53 |  #4

The G also will take an external flash. The 270EX is a PERFECT match.

Canon EOS R

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 25, 2010 19:28 |  #5

To me, the S90/95 is just too small for my medium sized hands. I found it difficult to hold and work. For that reason, and for the hot-shoe on the G11, I would prefer it to the S90.

---------------
Andy Garcia
Google+ (external link) | Zenfolio (external link)

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 25, 2010 19:51 as a reply to  @ arg245's post |  #6

The S90 lens is not as good as the G11 lens, according to several reviewers. The G11 has more options, and makes more sense to me in the way I use it, especially with all the manual controls and external access to controls. Folks that want the S90 want the small size and convenience of carrying it in a pocket, and maybe the f/2.0 lens at 28mm.

You are the only person to decide what your priorities are.

Dennis

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 25, 2010 20:21 |  #7

Don't forget what you're all thinking: The G series just look super cool, retro, and fun.

That's important too, otherwise we couldn't care if they were pink. We like 'em strong, black and cool-looking.

Thank you. bw!

GroovyGeek
82 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 28, 2010 23:23 |  #8

Have a G11, my biggest beef is that it is not exactly pocketable, particularly in summer when pockets are few and at a premium. The weight tends to pull my shorts down so I start looking like an overweight teenager whose shorts are just about to fall off. I guess I should get with the program and wear some boxers underneath, at least then I can (attempt to) look cool.

bkdc
888 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 28, 2010 23:51 as a reply to  @ GroovyGeek's post |  #9

1) External flash
2) Easier to control manual settings (cuz it's bigger!)

Since I carry a man-purse most of the time, I'll always prefer a G to the S90/S95.

A G11 mounted with a 580EX II looks like at thing of beauty. :D

RF 24-70 f/4L IS | RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | RF 50L | RF 85L | 600EX-RT x 3

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 29, 2010 05:00 |  #10

I use my G7 with off camera flash a lot (with simple Cactus v4 triggers). I love the sync speed (up to infinity basically) and builtin ND filter. Really a handy option for overpowering the sun.
I also really love the control of flash/ambient it gives me when I'm in manual mode. You can keep the ambient exposure the same while lowering or raising thee flash exposure. Not that my 40D can't do that, but it's limited to 1/250th and I have to compensate the shutterspeed myself ^^

To me - being used to a 40D - the controls of a G-series just beat any other compact body. I think it's amazing how much off camera flash can add to a compact camera though.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 29, 2010 07:10 |  #11

GroovyGeek wrote in post #10808783 (external link)
Have a G11, my biggest beef is that it is not exactly pocketable, particularly in summer when pockets are few and at a premium. The weight tends to pull my shorts down so I start looking like an overweight teenager whose shorts are just about to fall off. I guess I should get with the program and wear some boxers underneath, at least then I can (attempt to) look cool.

Pants on the ground
Pants on the ground
Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground
With your hat turned sideways, gold in your mouth
Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.

:)

Thank you. bw!

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 29, 2010 08:41 |  #12

GroovyGeek wrote in post #10808783 (external link)

They have a "fix" for that, it's called a BELT, or you could try suspenders...in various cool colors.

I tend to carry my G11 in a larger pocket of cargo pants, works very well, and I use a BELT to hold up my grown-up pants. :-)

Dennis

blam
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 29, 2010 12:41 |  #13

denncald wrote in post #10810240 (external link)
They have a "fix" for that, it's called a BELT, or you could try suspenders...in various cool colors.

I tend to carry my G11 in a larger pocket of cargo pants, works very well, and I use a BELT to hold up my grown-up pants. :-)

Dennis

if your pants fit properly....they should not fall off from a little extra weight...

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 29, 2010 12:46 |  #14

blam wrote in post #10811121 (external link)
if your pants fit properly....they should not fall off from a little extra weight...

Is the extra weight on the camera or the person....or both?

Dennis

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,899 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 30, 2010 11:55 |  #15

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #10810039 (external link)
Pants on the ground
Pants on the ground
Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground
With your hat turned sideways, gold in your mouth
Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.

:)

Pepsi just shot from my nose! :lol::lol:

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

11,364 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why buy a G?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.