Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Aug 2010 (Monday) 03:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

550D users switching to 60D?

iwajad
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 30, 2010 03:52 |  #1

Anyone decided to move up to the new 60D?
do you think its worth it?
Thoughts? :)

flickr (external link)
Canon Rebel t2i [Gripped] l 18-55 l Nifty fifty l 75-300 f/4-5.6 USM l 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5

sponsored links
Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 30, 2010 04:18 |  #2

I just sold my 550D for a 7D.....and I'm glad I did.

The jump to a 60D isn't big enough....

Trevor

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 30, 2010 04:21 |  #3

I don't own a 550D, but a friend is looking at it. We are in the process of evaluating the 550D and 60D as options. He is also not in a hurry and can wait a month or two for the 60D to arrive in a shop. From what we have seen, the size and options in the 60D makes it a very good option for him. It is just the price difference that we need to see and in the end the choice will be made on cost.

For me, I don't know. My 40D is working very well and appart from video and high-ISO capability, I don't see me going to the 60D. I would like to play with video and use the high-ISO, but I see me wating for the 5D MKIII. My 40D is doing the job and the only bug I have with it is the crop factor and the selction of focus point in critical focus scenarios (when DOF is critical). Otherwise it has the ability to snap away at a rapid rate, focus fast and provides good results at high ISO while keeping the image size on disk small.

If the 60D had an uprated focus system and micro adjustment for lenses, I may have given it more thought. My opinion is that a 550D to 60D jump is the market canon wants to target and I don't fit into this market.

DRH

iwajad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 30, 2010 04:29 |  #4

60D looks has some cool stuff, but personally i don't think its worth upgrading.
Not just saying that because i have a t2i and don't have the funds for a 60D.

Its smaller so it wouldn't be that big body that's expected, bigger then the t2i but its plastic as well, defeats the purpose.
With 9 af points, some stupid ass in-camera filters, seemed more kiddish then anything.
and personally i don't like the swivel screen, not at a fan, at all.

Also button layout is similar to t2i, lowered fps from 50D as well.
Pretty sure ISO performance will be the same as t2i's.

Personally, id still get the 50D over 60D

flickr (external link)
Canon Rebel t2i [Gripped] l 18-55 l Nifty fifty l 75-300 f/4-5.6 USM l 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5

preveen
188 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 30, 2010 06:32 |  #5

As a XSi user looking to upgrade, I'm getting the 60.

Sure, I'd probably buy a 7D if I could, but can't justify the expense.

50 vs 60 as an upgrade? Lots of reasons, everything favors the 60. I'd like having the joystick, but I'm not used to it, so don't have to unlearn anything to get used to this alternate controller. Not planning on hammering nails with it, and the Rebel has taken enough abuse without a scuff mark, so non metal is not issue. Love to have the screen again, had a tilt and flip on the S2 so used to handling one. Hang onto my considerable number of SD cards without buying new CFs. Flash commander to get the flash off the hotshoe. New LCD is positive. Hopefully better high ISO performance. Better metering. Lighter.
The 50 has its points too, more detailed top LCD, more direct access buttons, faster FPS. But nothing I can live without. Ditto metal body. Dunno about the micro adjust, but never having had it, I won't miss it. Cool to have but not a deal breaker.

Vs the 550? Started and ended with "extra control wheel". The AF points are a big plus. There are a few other things too, like better burst, flash controller and kelvin white balance that are on the cool to have list, tho it really wasn't a determining factor.

Few other interesting things that I'll wait for a review for, but this is pretty much decided as the next upgrade. Hope it comes down at least $100 in time for Santa to get it for me. :)

haiko
256 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 30, 2010 07:42 |  #6

David Ransley wrote in post #10814958 (external link)
My opinion is that a 550D to 60D jump is the market canon wants to target and I don't fit into this market.

I was already wondering what to think of the op's question. but it makes most sens put this way. what else would justify replacing a half year old body.

:idea:

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 30, 2010 07:57 as a reply to  @ haiko's post |  #7

Recent results from a 550D/T2i:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

From the T2i's performance at actual events involving subjects that do not stand still, there's no reason to consider changing equipment.

haiko
256 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 30, 2010 08:00 |  #8

DC Fan wrote in post #10815498 (external link)
Recent results from a 550D/T2i
From the T2i's performance at actual events involving subjects that do not stand still, there's no reason to consider changing equipment.

yes, great pictures, but then again, the 60D will still be newer :)

:idea:

hdd
320 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 30, 2010 08:23 |  #9

its all justy going to be a matter of what each person thinks.. I upgraded from the XTI to the 50d. Had the 60d been out I may have gone that route. Love the 50d and not changing till a 8D comes out LOL

Canon 50D/S5 IS
Canon 24-105 & 70-200mm IS f/4 "L" - Canon 50mm f1.8 - Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 - 430EX
Capture By Design Photography (external link)

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 30, 2010 08:33 |  #10

I have a 500D and will not make the jump to the 60D. I love the articulating screen, but will decline because it doesn't have a mag. body and MA. I am not saying those are options that I would ABSOLUTELY need, but since I am paying money to upgrade, I see the 7D would fit MY needs better. To each their own right? Everyone will have different views/opinions. With that said, if I knew what I did about cameras before buying a 500D and if the 60D was out at the time, I would pick it up in a heartbeat. I think the 60D is a great camera for the price point.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
550D users switching to 60D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.