Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Feb 2010 (Monday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official: T2i/550D

iwajad
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 30, 2010 04:15 as a reply to  @ post 10028745 |  #1621

Dont remember the setting,
Used a 50 1.8
Watcha' Think?:)

IMAGE: http://i37.tinypic.com/3442n8w.jpg

flickr (external link)
Canon Rebel t2i [Gripped] l 18-55 l Nifty fifty l 75-300 f/4-5.6 USM l 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5

sponsored links
waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 30, 2010 07:45 |  #1622

pearts wrote in post #10811596 (external link)
you want to use either dpp that came with the camera on the cd canon provides you, or use adobe lightroom. lightroom lets you do things without converting the file out of the raw format, by keeping a sidecar with a list of what you did to the image, and applies it when you go to output to jpg, or print...

I may be wrong, but that appears to be what DPP is doing too. I can always return to "shot settings" to undo all my changes, and it keeps it in raw. I'm new to this RAW stuff, but it doesn't appear to be sealing my changes into the raw.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,114 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 30, 2010 10:44 |  #1623

I was out in the country a few days ago and took a couple "open spaces" shots here in Southern Taiwan.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 30, 2010 13:39 |  #1624

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

straight out of the camera, using the 'clear' preset (oh, and picasa did the watermark for me)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

PKalos
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 30, 2010 14:08 |  #1625

Love it. Keep them coming

iwajad
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 31, 2010 04:22 as a reply to  @ PKalos's post |  #1626

So am i.
Great pictures guys! Keep posting!

flickr (external link)
Canon Rebel t2i [Gripped] l 18-55 l Nifty fifty l 75-300 f/4-5.6 USM l 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 31, 2010 06:58 |  #1627

I've had the 550D for a while and hardly ever shoot video so I wonder...... does the 550D auto-focus while video recording? Something I haven't even notice or remember reading about.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

plawa
166 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 31, 2010 08:08 |  #1628

enrigonz wrote in post #10821915 (external link)
I've had the 550D for a while and hardly ever shoot video so I wonder...... does the 550D auto-focus while video recording? Something I haven't even notice or remember reading about.

It does but via contrast measurement, not phase detection so expect a lot of focus hunting, possibly lens motor noise in video (depending on lens) and general disappointment ;] But the quality is superb if you can work with/around the focusing limitations.

Plawa.cz (external link)
500px (external link)

mikestarr
370 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 31, 2010 08:10 as a reply to  @ enrigonz's post |  #1629

no auto focus

T2i Gripped/17-50 non vc Tamron/55-250mm 4-5.6/50mm 1.8/Slik pro 700dx tripod
MYFLICKR (external link)

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 31, 2010 08:44 |  #1630

mine seems to autofocus fine, if I have enough light :) 50mm 1.8 + video makes for some amazing HD video if you set the lens to be wide open.

LuFaiNe
440 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 31, 2010 09:37 as a reply to  @ Flores's post |  #1631

EnriGonz, I bought my T2i specifically for shooting video. if your worried about the noise the mic picks up during shooting I wouldn't recommend using the auto-focus. My experience is that even the slightest manual adjustment to focus will be picked up by the onboard mic (just one of the reasons I bought a Rode videomic).

However if yoo don't care about the sound and you'll be adding your own soundtrack to what your shoot then no worries. I still recommend the Rode either way because once yoo start shooting with one you'll never want to use the onbaord mic again...I gaurantee it.

Anyhoo here are some previews for my web series Haywire. Check 'em out and let me know what you all think.

Thanks.

http://www.haywireseri​es.com/ (external link)

Gripped 6D and T2i, 20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 100mm 1.4, 10-22 3.5-4.5, Jag35 D-Focus v3, Jag35 7" External Monitor, Halo Rig Mini, CAME Stedicam, Rode VideoMic, a nice head and Annie's old legs ;)
http://haywireseries.c​om/ (external link)

pdx_btk78
81 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 31, 2010 11:05 |  #1632

Speaking of the Canon 200DG bag.. Got a silly question for you guys.

What's the best orientation for your camera to sit in the bag? Since I bought the 15-85USM lens (my almost full time walk around lens, but a lot bigger and heavier than my kit lens), I've been having trouble configuring my bag to properly store the camera because I prefer to leave my lens on the camera when I place it into the bag (I try not to take the lens on and off the camera as much as I can).

So right now, I have made a wider spot for the camera to sit with the LCD facing the bottom of the bag, and the lens facing up. Is there any down side to that? I'm usually very careful in handling the bag when the camera is in there, and always set them down very slowly.

5D Mk III & 7D | 430 EX II
Canon 50mm f1.2L | 16-35mm f2.8L Mk II | 24-105mm f4L IS | 70-200mm f2.8L IS Mk II | Σ 150-500mm
flickr (external link)

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 31, 2010 13:22 |  #1633

It's an easier choice when you have a long lens on the camera, it will really only go in one way :)

since I mainly shoot with long lenses, camera LCD facing the top of the back, lens down the center, double up the padding on the bottom.

I don't know if I would be comfortable sticking the body at the bottom of the bag.

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 31, 2010 14:41 |  #1634

mikestarr wrote in post #10822203 (external link)
no auto focus

Flores wrote in post #10822338 (external link)
mine seems to autofocus fine, if I have enough light :) 50mm 1.8 + video makes for some amazing HD video if you set the lens to be wide open.

plawa wrote in post #10822196 (external link)
It does but via contrast measurement, not phase detection so expect a lot of focus hunting, possibly lens motor noise in video (depending on lens) and general disappointment ;] But the quality is superb if you can work with/around the focusing limitations.

A little confused, I don't mind the motor noise from the lens moving, I do remember the 550D having "face" detection for video recording as an option. What I don't understand is how this methods of auto-focusing are any different than the ones Sony is using on their new DSLRs or even Micro 4:3 cameras, the same thing with the new Nikon 3100 which they claim it does Auto Focus while video recording. Just wondering if these companies are making a big deal over a new feature over their new cameras because no one else is doing it or is this something the 550D can do already?

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Dirby
533 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 31, 2010 15:29 |  #1635

i am new to the dslr scene.
i have a t2i and have been reading the manual that came with it.
there is so many settings and adjustments to it.
are all theese realy being used?
would useing theese different settings make the picture that much better than just useing the auto mode?
seems like you would have to be a Philidelphia Lawyer to figure out how to use all theese different settings.
thx D

sponsored links

557,063 views & 0 likes for this thread
Official: T2i/550D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.