Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 29 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ear Phones

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 31, 2010 04:02 |  #16

I own and run Headphone Reviews (external link), it's been #1 in google for the phrase "headphone reviews" for many years, so i've heard a few headphones. I think right now I only have about eight pairs, but at one point I had about 30 pairs of headphones. A lot of them were free, people send me headphones to review all the time.

Audio Technica do some great stuff, but don't try and move too much when you're wearing their full size stuff. I'd love a pair of their open headphones. I have the A900s and they're fantastic. Big, but fantastic.

My work headphones are the Monster Dr Dre headphones, at about $400 last time I checked, mine were review units though. They're pretty awesome though, quite compact, the noise reduction works great on air conditioning or airplane noise. They use 2xAA batteries.

I really like Sennheiser open headphones, I wish they'd send me some HD800s to review. Best i've tried is HD595s, they were pretty cool, lots of detail, but you need a really quiet room to use them.

Sony make pretty good earbuds, but my cheap "these are gona get ruined" recommendations are the Creative EP630. I did like the EX71 and EX81 though.

I had Ultimate Ears 5 Pros, I thought they weren't bassy enough. I have the 5EB now, they're amazing, so detailed, they have a bass driver and a treble driver in a reasonably large package. The memory wire goes behind your ear and reduces cord noise, which is great.

I've had Audio Technica in ear buds, I didn't like them. Average sound quality at best, not the most comfortable. I had full sized AKG headphones, 271 something, they were only ok.

I also have a headphone amplified, but it'd been purposed to drive the surround speakers from my office sound system for music in my bedroom, from the iPod. Surprisingly good sound from that setup. Edifier make great speakers.

I have more recommendations here (external link).

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
PCthug
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 31, 2010 04:12 |  #17

tim, which AT earbuds did you not like?

The ones i have i cant fault. They sound great if inserted correctly, and feel really comfortable (for me).
Also what tracks do you listen to to review them? One of the best i have heard is Elton John's Rocket Man. It has great tone across the range, and sounds fantastic cranked up. Give it a go.

I used to have some Shure ones before using these (in fact i still have them), and found them lacking in bass unless put into the ear correctly, which took a little practice.

Good to know you rate my AT A900's though. They are fantastic for mid priced headphones.

Equipment: Canon 5d mkIII, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 70-200L f2.8 mkII, Canon 100mm macro, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 430EX Flash.
www.durhamphotographic​s.co.uk (external link)

canongrip
236 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 31, 2010 04:19 as a reply to  @ PCthug's post |  #18

IMAGE: http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/159/400159_090604100916_PHILIPS_SHE-9501_Package.jpg
I have this one.
Philips In-Ear Headphones SHE9501
Glad with it.

gear list & historic

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 31, 2010 04:47 as a reply to  @ canongrip's post |  #19

PCthug wrote in post #10821579 (external link)
tim, which AT earbuds did you not like?

The ones i have i cant fault. They sound great if inserted correctly, and feel really comfortable (for me).
Also what tracks do you listen to to review them? One of the best i have heard is Elton John's Rocket Man. It has great tone across the range, and sounds fantastic cranked up. Give it a go.

I used to have some Shure ones before using these (in fact i still have them), and found them lacking in bass unless put into the ear correctly, which took a little practice.

Good to know you rate my AT A900's though. They are fantastic for mid priced headphones.

ATH-CK7's, retail is $60, so low to mid priced really. I use whatever music I feel like at the time to review headphones, but I mix it up: dance, Jazz, vocal, etc. I review earbuds from my iPod, because that's how 95% of people will use them.

I had a pair of Shure's once, I didn't enjoy the sound.

The problem with most headphone reviews is the reviewers don't have any context, and they rate everything really high. The aim of my website was to give objective reviews, from people who know good from bad. That's why I approve reviewers individually, based on what they've heard.

Some of my favorite headphones were the legendary Sony CD3000. They cost me about $1000, can't remember if that was USD or NZD. Nice sound, calf skin leather, they're really hard to come by now. I didn't use them enough to justify keeping them, plus I got hooked on photography and spent money on that instead.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 31, 2010 05:51 |  #20

how timely is this? I just lost my $14 koss "the plug"
headphones that I use. From that statement you know that i am not an audiophile....sometime​s even an audiophobe!
but i wanted to upgrade to something portable (even REALLY portable) for use in mp3 player/movie player...
and so i thought of either:
audio technica ath-ckm 55
shure se 102 (i know that they are older)
or the
ethymotic hf5s

I would appreciate a good quality, in the ear or bud type of system which is easily taken out and put in the ear (interrupted very often when I am listening)

any ideas?

thanks!

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 31, 2010 06:00 |  #21

ceriltheblade wrote in post #10821762 (external link)
how timely is this? I just lost by $14 koss "the plug"
headphones that I use. From that statement you know that i am not an audiophile....sometime​s even an audiophobe!
but i wanted to upgrade to something portable (even REALLY portable) for use in mp3 player/movie player...
and so i thought of either:
audio technica ath-ckm 55
shure se 102 (i know that they are older)
or the
ethymotic hf5s

I would appreciate a good quality, in the ear or bud type of system which is easily taken out and put in the ear (interrupted very often when I am listening)

any ideas?

thanks!

These (external link), or maybe these (external link).

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 31, 2010 06:23 |  #22

:) thanks for the suggestions. $1100 for a pair of headphones is a bit of a stretch! :) I'd prefer a nice lens!
the other ones are only a lsight bit out of my price range. I saw on your site some really interesting opinions. Thanks for running such a nice site. just as a heads up...I didn't come across it vis a vis google.

7D/5dIII

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 31, 2010 06:30 |  #23

Do you see it when you google "headphone reviews" (without the quotes)?

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 31, 2010 06:50 |  #24

yes. my apologies. it seems i misunderstood. When I google search, I enter the specific headphones I am looking at associated with the word "review"

7D/5dIII

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 31, 2010 15:55 |  #25

Yeah I haven't quite cracked that part of the seo yet.

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 31, 2010 18:16 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

Tim, maybe I am missing it on your site, can't seem to find any skull candy reviews.

I suck at Photoshop.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 31, 2010 19:09 |  #27

Lazuka wrote in post #10825499 (external link)
Tim, maybe I am missing it on your site, can't seem to find any skull candy reviews.

Most reviews are done by users, not be, no-one must have reviewed them yet. I only do a small number of the reviews, when I buy something or the manufacturer sends them to me.

Feel free to register, add the headphones if they're missing, and review them :)

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 31, 2010 19:13 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Oh ok, yeah I was looking on my ipad for a few, i'll check in a bit.

I suck at Photoshop.

yogestee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 31, 2010 20:12 as a reply to  @ Lazuka's post |  #29

Thanks guys for your input..

I'm really quite happy with my Sonys but I'm always on the look out for the "perfect" pair..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 01, 2010 00:32 |  #30

I have a set of Maximo's that I bought off woot that I use for my day to day @ work headhones. they work amazingly well at blocking out noise with their silicone plugs while not causing ear fatigue. No sound Isolation.

For bike rides; I can't use the silicone tipped ones as they block out the sound of cars. I use Sony MDR-ED21LP They have a long enough cord that's a Y (each earbud cable is the same length) and they stay in my ears while riding/running/hiking whatever.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links

2,960 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ear Phones
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.