Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 05 Jul 2010 (Monday) 02:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN Aussie Club #9 - This is NOT a thread to sell stuff in!

this thread is locked
The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 01, 2010 04:34 |  #2101

HighSnobility wrote in post #10828230 (external link)
7D grip is pretty chunky, I think whoever designed it took inspiration from a house brick. I haven't used a 1D grip but they look a hell of a lot more ergonomic.

Actually, I do remember thinking that the grip was a tad chunky. The 1D grips feel great, some days I almost prefer shooting vertical :lol:

TwoShoes wrote in post #10828242 (external link)
My parents / gf have offered (after asking what I'd like) to buy me some lighting tutorial DVDs for my b'day. Say a $250 budget, what would people recommend? (looking at you mic, ed, damo, rai :lol:)

Ask them for the $250 to buy more bulbs, since you broke it :p

Has anyone heard of Kenyan photojournalist Thomas Mukoya? He works for Reuters in Africa. He's giving a presentation at my uni on Friday and it's in the first hour of one of my classes, trying to think if I should skip the first hour of my class and go to it.

sponsored links
coalcliff
Goldmember
3,521 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 01, 2010 04:38 |  #2102

Why even think about it Glenn, Just get there, you can be an hour late for a traffic jam, I know what I rather be doing..!

My Gear
[SIZE=2]Damian:cool::shock::grin: More you learn the more you can forget.

dust_farmer
151 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 01, 2010 04:56 |  #2103

@ damo - try some bromicide (bromoxyil) for your fireweed

@dbwooley- with your nose remodeling which celebrity are you trying to copy- micheal jackson?

tax time - not sure about the cropping

and it's hi ho hi ho of to adelaide royal show I go , see you in the sheep shed, may buy a sigma 150-500 while I'm down there but the siren call of a 100-400 is still singing in my ear

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Chris , Eos 1000d , 18-55 is ,55-250 is , sigma 150-500 and ef 100 macro usm

fungry
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2010 05:22 |  #2104

The Moose wrote in post #10828210 (external link)
Luke, the 7D is definitely improved over the 40D. I have a 1D2 and have tried a gripped 7D, which felt good but I still prefer the 1-series. It just feels right.

+1. A colleague of mine has a 5D and it just feels so different to a 1-series. An excellent camera no doubt but the 1D2 has certainly spoiled me on robustness and ergonomics.

Ed - Gear List - www.edkhou.com (external link)

BOSS
Gone, but not forgotten
2,610 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2010 05:32 as a reply to  @ fungry's post |  #2105
bannedPermanent ban

@Chris,nice shot perhaps crop a bit more from the left to give more room to fiy into.

Go for the 100-400 you wont regret it.

John
The more I know people the more I love my dogs.
Canon 400D 18-55,75-300,60 macro, 24-105L 100-400L IS,580EXII, 430EX,tripod,monopod plus lots more
SPQR

RipN'Pix
260 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 01, 2010 05:49 |  #2106

coalcliff wrote in post #10828309 (external link)
I say get them to buy you a $250 voucher to one of my personal one on one tutorials next time you are down this way!:p

I take you up on that offer Damian! I'm down your way almost every weekend.

Chris.
Website (external link) | Gear | Flickr (external link)

fungry
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2010 06:17 |  #2107

Just a quicky, I think one of the two batteries for my 1D2 is losing it's capability to hold charge. Anyone know where I can order a replacement (third party is fine). Ebay had some the last time I checked but they just seem so dodge unless someone's experience says otherwise.

amsm
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 01, 2010 06:27 |  #2108

dust_farmer wrote in post #10828364 (external link)
may buy a sigma 150-500 while I'm down there but the siren call of a 100-400 is still singing in my ear

I'll be interested to hear the outcome of those deliberations (and the reasons)...I'm having the same internal argument ! :D

Andrew
1D Mk II * 70-200 f/4L * 70-200 f2.8/L * 28-70 f/2.8L * Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro * Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EXDC * Kenko 2X TC * 430EX * IXUS 500 * Powershot S50 + Underwater housing * AE1+, Sigma 50 f1.4, Kiron 80 - 210
Redbubble (external link) | Picasaweb (external link) | Great Ocean Road (external link) | When to use than and when to use then (external link)

amsm
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 01, 2010 06:32 |  #2109

fungry wrote in post #10828522 (external link)
Just a quicky, I think one of the two batteries for my 1D2 is losing it's capability to hold charge. Anyone know where I can order a replacement (third party is fine). Ebay had some the last time I checked but they just seem so dodge unless someone's experience says otherwise.

I had a similar problem, in spite of doing a few full discharge-recharge cycles.

Glenn had a link which he posted and I ordered one from there, but a couple of weeks later, they contacted me and said they weren't happy with the quality of the units they had had shipped and I could wait, or get my money back. I chose the latter and ended up buying one from Richard (Blackshadow), which is working fine :D

The original does great service as a backup and I can get a good few hundred shots from it, but that's not enough on busy sport days, so the other was definitely required.

Andrew
1D Mk II * 70-200 f/4L * 70-200 f2.8/L * 28-70 f/2.8L * Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro * Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EXDC * Kenko 2X TC * 430EX * IXUS 500 * Powershot S50 + Underwater housing * AE1+, Sigma 50 f1.4, Kiron 80 - 210
Redbubble (external link) | Picasaweb (external link) | Great Ocean Road (external link) | When to use than and when to use then (external link)

Scott ­ H
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 01, 2010 07:11 |  #2110

BOSS wrote in post #10828422 (external link)
Go for the 100-400 you wont regret it.

+1. I have been most impressed with mine. Takes a bit of getting used to with the push/pull. But once you have used it for about 10 mins, its quite good.

My current problem is that I have now got a big gap between 40 - 100mm!

-Scott. My Smugmug (external link)
I shoot with a Canon 7D

BOSS
Gone, but not forgotten
2,610 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2010 07:17 as a reply to  @ Scott H's post |  #2111
bannedPermanent ban

@Scott h,time for the 24-105 to be taken off your list then.

John
The more I know people the more I love my dogs.
Canon 400D 18-55,75-300,60 macro, 24-105L 100-400L IS,580EXII, 430EX,tripod,monopod plus lots more
SPQR

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 01, 2010 07:24 |  #2112

coalcliff wrote in post #10828330 (external link)
Why even think about it Glenn, Just get there, you can be an hour late for a traffic jam, I know what I rather be doing..!

Agreed! I'll email my tutor and let him know (or ask if he recommends that I be at the tute instead).

fungry wrote in post #10828410 (external link)
+1. A colleague of mine has a 5D and it just feels so different to a 1-series. An excellent camera no doubt but the 1D2 has certainly spoiled me on robustness and ergonomics.

It's spoiled me too. I think eventually I might buy a smaller body for portability but right now I love the 1D2 and I don't see the need for anything right now.

fungry wrote in post #10828522 (external link)

amsm wrote in post #10828556 (external link)
I had a similar problem, in spite of doing a few full discharge-recharge cycles.

Glenn had a link which he posted and I ordered one from there, but a couple of weeks later, they contacted me and said they weren't happy with the quality of the units they had had shipped and I could wait, or get my money back. I chose the latter and ended up buying one from Richard (Blackshadow), which is working fine :D

The original does great service as a backup and I can get a good few hundred shots from it, but that's not enough on busy sport days, so the other was definitely required.

Would the link I gave you be this one? http://www.digitalrev.​com …=1&time=1,2,3,4​,5,6,7,8,9 (external link)

I assume it is because that's the brand I've got for my 1D2 and it's the one I had for my 1D Classic and it works well. Ed, if you can get one of them, I'd go for it.

ash.m
260 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 01, 2010 07:52 |  #2113

Luke, I shoot with a grip on the 7d, have never used it without. I loved the way it transformed the 400d and so got the grip for the 7d without thinking. It certainly can be described as blocky.

I have quite big hands, so i prefer the feel of the gripped cameras. i guess the only gripe i have is occasionally when reviewing images on the lcd, the bottom of my hand tends to wrap around the grip to the dial and keep scrolling thru images unintentionally.

as far as lighting information - i have heard good things about zack arias one-light DVD, tho never seen it. I decided to download his sessions from creative live, and have just started watching them today. Otherwise like damo said, there is sooo much info on the net.

The other (wise?) choice could be to put the money towards a small group tutorial/workshop - if someone can recommend one for you or research into which one suits what you want to be shooting.

ash

1Dmk3 | 7D | 400D | 20 2.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8 L | 580EXmkII | Poverty Wizards Wishlist: Talent | Time | Lightingash milne photography (external link) | facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

fungry
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2010 07:54 |  #2114

amsm wrote in post #10828556 (external link)

Bah, legacy equipment, whaat a pain!

The Moose wrote in post #10828753 (external link)
It's spoiled me too. I think eventually I might buy a smaller body for portability but right now I love the 1D2 and I don't see the need for anything right now.

Would the link I gave you be this one? http://www.digitalrev.​com …=1&time=1,2,3,4​,5,6,7,8,9 (external link)

I assume it is because that's the brand I've got for my 1D2 and it's the one I had for my 1D Classic and it works well. Ed, if you can get one of them, I'd go for it.

Cheers man. We're on the same road by the sounds of it :) 1D2 all the way. *for now* :lol:

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 01, 2010 08:06 |  #2115

fungry wrote in post #10828864 (external link)
Bah, legacy equipment, whaat a pain!

Cheers man. We're on the same road by the sounds of it :) 1D2 all the way. *for now* :lol:

I'd rather use legacy equipment like the 1D than something new like the 60D :lol:

No worries. Digitalrev did have them on their eBay page when I first knew they had them but their website does the same thing. Can't see myself with anything else for a while :lol: Even if I had the money, the only body I'd really consider would be the 1D3 but I don't think i'd buy it.

sponsored links

306,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN Aussie Club #9 - This is NOT a thread to sell stuff in!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.