Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Jul 2010 (Tuesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I did a Free Test Shoot

Marius ­ B
555 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 14, 2010 02:52 |  #16

You focus to much on your images, you say that this was a test shoot to show them what images you can produce.

I think you forget one big thing. This is also a test shoot to show them how you will be to work with.

Threat any free shoot as you would a paid shoot except the money changing hands.
I am not a fan of giving away images, but in some cases and in this case you say it is a test shoot to show them how you work and that you can deliver same quality time after time. I would think that the right way to do it is as magnum808 says. Try seeing things from the other side of table.

If they still want free images from you after 1-3 freeshoots, then I would be worried about beeing used. If they wont pay you after these shoots, then I would not work for them again. Maybe they finds another photographer to do the next shoots for free, but if they want concistency and quality work, like they probably want. They will pay for it when they know what they get.

I would edit the best images and give it to them as soon as possible without more hassle.

When the client say all the images, they don't really want all, but all the good ones. And if you tell them there were 4 good ones from a shoot of maybe 100? that will also tell them something.

Just my thoughts trying to see it from the other side of the table, without any experience in photography business, but it cant be that different from other businesses :)

www.bottolfsen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)®
Facebook (external link)

5D MKII, 5D, EF 17-40, EF 24-70, EF 70-200 f2,8 IS, EF 35 f1.4, EF 100 f2.8 IS

sponsored links
ilikeglass
74 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 14, 2010 11:21 as a reply to  @ Marius B's post |  #17

They may be using you, but what do you have to lose? Personally, nothing if you hand them over, but when photographers work for free it brings down the value of our work. For the common good politely say no. I would not hand them over, and would handle it diplomatically. Not an easy decision.

5D II and 5D III
50mm f1.8 Mk I~85 f1.8~17-40L~Canon 70-200L~430 exII

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 14, 2010 11:41 |  #18

Agreed with everyone else - I'm not a pro, but it certainly sounds like they're using you on the premise of "future work" just to get free photos. I'd bet they're stringing along the other two photographers with the same song and dance, and seeing who will give in first for free photos.

An alternative - you could give them the additional photos but watermark the heck out of them. Cover the photos all over with watermarks that they cant photoshop out, might be a good chance at free advertising or getting them to pay.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

magnum808
321 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 14, 2010 21:55 as a reply to  @ GoHokiesGo's post |  #19

I think some of you are failing to realize that the Agency is also providing something of value to the photographer as well - The model!
Most legitimate agencies book out their models for no less than $200/hr PLUS useage.

So basically the agency could do exactly the same thing. Require the photographer to pay for the images he/she took of their model. You may use the images to promote yourself by using them in your book/portfolio/website​, just like they may use the images to promote their models. Fair trade?

The agency NEEDS good photographers. They are selling their models and to do that they need quality images.
But they will only pay a photographer once they know what they can expect as far as unique/useable quality, reliability, turn around time.
Most of the time it takes more than one test for them to get comfortable with a photographer.
Show them what you can do and if they like it, it will pay off big.

Canon 50D|Canon 5D
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
Sigma 50mm 1.4
Canon 430 EX II speedlite

rodal126
392 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 30, 2010 15:21 |  #20

Vineet666 - what was the outcome of this testing?!? I've come across the same situation as yours with a reputable agency.

beauty & fashion photographer
facebook (external link) :: website (external link)

noxcuses1
889 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 30, 2010 16:31 |  #21

Don't expect them to call the next day if you're too 'easy' and 'put out' on the 'first date'. ;)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 30, 2010 16:33 |  #22

noxcuses1 wrote in post #10818451 (external link)
Don't expect them to call the next day if you're too 'easy' and 'put out' on the 'first date'. ;)

But they told me they could see themselves with me for a long time :(

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 31, 2010 10:12 |  #23

What kind of paperwork or emails do you have to support the communications concerning the "test shoot"? With the facts given, I would ask exactly how they would like to license the images and then generate an estimate for licensing only and no creative fee since you agreed to the test. They will have to pay you if they want the other files. You can never assume that they will give you work after giving it away. There is a long line of idiots that will take that line as gospel. If you want to be a professional, act like one and get your paperwork in order.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Vineet666
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 31, 2010 23:15 |  #24

rodal126 wrote in post #10818026 (external link)
Vineet666 - what was the outcome of this testing?!? I've come across the same situation as yours with a reputable agency.

I have joined the agency as a freelancer ever since. Not exactly the department I was looking to work with, but good for a start, it will surely help me expand my reach in the market with their contacts and brand name.

I think it was worth doing this test shoot.. Though I did not send them all the files they were asking for, I just ignored that request!

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 01, 2010 08:39 |  #25

hahaa, I get this alot..

send them a 800x600 watermarked gallery and tell them your fee per image for advertising work :)

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

sponsored links

4,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
I did a Free Test Shoot
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.