Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 10:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Battery Grip - why?

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 01, 2010 11:20 as a reply to  @ post 10829960 |  #16

I don't have a use grips. I had one on my old XTI hoping it would improve the ergonomics, but it just made it heavier. Doesn't make that much sense for it to "balance" a heavier lens either, especially since most of the weight will be on the lens holding hand anyways. I'm sure there's uses for it with professional photogs, but for casual hobbyists I don't see the point. Plus it really just makes the camera look ugly.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,180 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 01, 2010 11:21 |  #17

uOpt wrote in post #10829980 (external link)
The main reason I got a battery grip for my 40D is that I can load it with AA batteries, which in turn I can buy at the next fuel station (just in case the 24 pack I carry around runs out).

Or in other words: I do something stupid and end up with all empty batteries out of the house I'm not screwed.

I usually run around with the grip mounted but only one battery inside.

i never use the vertical controls. The opteca grip I got misses some anyway.

Seems like an expensive option to buy a grip and then packs of AAs from time to time just to use the grip as an emergency power support system. For each pack of AAs you buy at a gas station, you could pick up a BP-511 pack from Eforcity or Accstation. But I see your point, and that is certainly one way to handle the forgetful situations where you may have no charged BP-511s.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 01, 2010 11:29 |  #18

picturecrazy wrote in post #10829882 (external link)
The grip doesn't allow for direct AF point control with the joystick in portrait orientation. That trumps every possible benefit to me. Besides, it's quicker to change to portrait if you don't have to take your hand off the camera, and the grips are huge FAT and chunky and don't feel nearly as nice as the REAL grip.

Those are the two reasons I'm usually on the main grip on my 1 series, even when shooting portrait. The only time I reach for the vertical grip is if I'm going to be there for an extended period of time, and shooting the same AF point, neither of which happens very often. No grips on my smaller bodies, even with my XL hands.

I have long thumbs, and its a stretch to reach the joystick on my 1d, from the vertical grip.

John Caputo

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 01, 2010 11:32 |  #19

in my case its for the balance and hand position. If I shoot with just the body I only get 3 fingers around the front of the camera, with my ring finger barely hangin in there.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 01, 2010 11:40 as a reply to  @ JonK's post |  #20

I get hand cramps without my grip, once you grip you can't go back.

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,180 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 01, 2010 11:44 |  #21

freshcargo wrote in post #10830113 (external link)
I get hand cramps without my grip, once you grip you can't go back.

Or maybe even better "once you grip, you won't ever flip" :)

Of course there will be those that had issues with grips and would go by the slogan of "once you grip, you better hope you don't strip" :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 01, 2010 11:56 |  #22

TeamSpeed wrote in post #10830002 (external link)
Seems like an expensive option to buy a grip and then packs of AAs from time to time just to use the grip as an emergency power support system. For each pack of AAs you buy at a gas station, you could pick up a BP-511 pack from Eforcity or Accstation. But I see your point, and that is certainly one way to handle the forgetful situations where you may have no charged BP-511s.

But I have AA packs for the flash anyway.

I also like the feel of the camera with the grip better. The right side is just a little short for my flippers.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 01, 2010 11:58 |  #23

gonzogolf wrote in post #10829734 (external link)
There are two major arguments for them, whether you buy them or not is a matter of preference. The first is having the shutter button on top in the vertical orientation, the second is that it balances better with long lenses and is more comfortable for people with large hands.

Pretty much spot on I'd say.

At least this is true for me.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 01, 2010 12:13 |  #24

NinetyEight wrote in post #10829751 (external link)
...People with small cameras also fit them because they (mistakenly) think it looks 'cool' and 'professional' :rolleyes:

Does anyone make a grip with a built-in fake motor drive sound? ;)

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,180 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 01, 2010 12:37 |  #25

uOpt wrote in post #10830208 (external link)
But I have AA packs for the flash anyway.

I also like the feel of the camera with the grip better. The right side is just a little short for my flippers.

How many shots do you get out of a set of AAs on the 40D? Also are you using Eneloops or some other low-discharge AA?

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,206 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 01, 2010 12:39 |  #26

RTPVid wrote in post #10830268 (external link)
Does anyone make a grip with a built-in fake motor drive sound? ;)

They must do because I hear them on TV all the time!

Kev

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 01, 2010 12:54 |  #27

TeamSpeed wrote in post #10830381 (external link)
How many shots do you get out of a set of AAs on the 40D? Also are you using Eneloops or some other low-discharge AA?

Dunno, so far I haven't screwed up charging my regular battery packs :)

All I did is put in some Duracells, run around and shoot a bit to see that it works at all.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

jb1911
492 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 01, 2010 15:19 |  #28

I have a grip on my 50D because it looks cool.

7D/BG-E7 - 580EXII - EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - in a Domke F-2RW
http://www.banpuppymil​ls.com/ (external link)
I like to keep a bottle of liquor handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. ~ W C Fields ~

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Sep 01, 2010 15:24 |  #29

Because I can't seem to find out how to get them off my 1D bodies ... :)

... but other than that, it's because with the grip the camera fits my hands much better, in both the vertical and horisontal orientation. Without it the pinky side of my right hand sort of slips down underneath the camera.

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 01, 2010 16:06 |  #30

JC4 wrote in post #10830043 (external link)
Those are the two reasons I'm usually on the main grip on my 1 series, even when shooting portrait. The only time I reach for the vertical grip is if I'm going to be there for an extended period of time, and shooting the same AF point, neither of which happens very often. No grips on my smaller bodies, even with my XL hands.

I have long thumbs, and its a stretch to reach the joystick on my 1d, from the vertical grip.

Hahaha yeah, on my 1 series bodies, the grip switch has been turned to the OFF position since I got them out of the box. I can honestly say I have NEVER EVER NOT ONCE used the portrait grip on them.

Ok, one thing I find BIZARRE is that people say they can use the handstrap when the install the grip. That is true... but the handstrap ONLY WORKS IN LANDSCAPE. And it's a pain in the ass to pull your hand in or out of a snug fitting handstrap, not to mention, slow. It's kind of a catch 22. Buy the grip for the handstrap, but make it a PITA to use it in portrait.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

17,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
Battery Grip - why?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.