Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Aug 2010 (Wednesday) 23:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

300L 2.8 II and 400L 2.8 II

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 01, 2010 14:59 |  #136

Wow there's a huge discrepancy between the UK and US pricing, if I dial in the exchange rate! I could buy a new 300mm f2.8 II IS L in the USA for the full retail and get a family holiday inc flights for free....when compared to the UK pricing!

If this is the year for the big whites to be upgraded, i wonder if next year is the year for the smaller whites? 300/4 II L? 400/f5.6 II L? 100-400 II L? I wonder!

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

sponsored links
malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 01, 2010 16:10 |  #137

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #10831191 (external link)
Wow there's a huge discrepancy between the UK and US pricing, if I dial in the exchange rate! I could buy a new 300mm f2.8 II IS L in the USA for the full retail and get a family holiday inc flights for free....when compared to the UK pricing!

Where did you find USA prices?

Gear List

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 01, 2010 18:32 |  #138

Anybody want to loan me their Visa card for a few minutes? There's a couple of lenses I'd like to buy. Hurry before this request expires! I'll even share some photos with you!

Canon 50D gripped, EF 50/1.8, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100/2.8 macro, 100-400L, 300 2.8L, Canon 500 f8 mirror with chipped EF mount, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x Canon teleconverters, Canon EF Life-Size converter.

madddman
148 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 01, 2010 19:48 as a reply to  @ richardfox's post |  #139

I guess with the price of the new ones, it does make sense that the used will go up. So I have to act relatively soon. I'm gonna have to be real nice to my wife. REAL nice. :confused:

Actually, I was ready to pull the trigger on a 300 2.8 non IS, but I heard that you can't get spare parts. I called one of the larger camera repair shops in the Boston area and he comfirmed what I heard. He said if the autofocus motor goes, it's all over, you can't get a replacement. And because it is a fly by wire type of focus, it won't even manual focus. It's just an expensive paper weight at that point. Couldn't buy it knowing that.

Ed
Fuji X-T2, X-T1, X-Pro 1, Lots of Fuji Lenses

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 02, 2010 03:06 |  #140

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.....

"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)

madddman
148 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 02, 2010 05:53 as a reply to  @ GMCPhotographics's post |  #141

Not quite as easy as asking forgiveness. If I'm gonna spend 4k on my hobby, she's talking granite counters in the kitchen:D

Ed
Fuji X-T2, X-T1, X-Pro 1, Lots of Fuji Lenses

tom ­ s
434 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 02, 2010 07:01 |  #142

This is why new Japanese lenses are expensive:

http://www.bloomberg.c​om …inable-debt-imf-says.html (external link)

Japan, Greece Among Nations Close to Having Unsustainable Debt, IMF Says

Using: Canon 70d, Canon 50d, 135 2 USM L, 50 1.8, Sigma 10 2.8 HSM EX fisheye, Sigma 180 2.8 AP✿ macr✿, Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART, Nikon D5500

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 02, 2010 07:13 |  #143

I'm sure the Yen's fall has had some influence on Canon's current pricing strategy. But it's a simple economic strategy that states that it is better to sell less items for more money, generating the same amount of profit as selling more items for less money. The profit is the same, but is less effort and less risk. You have to hand it to the Japanses, they really know how to manage their market in a recession with staggering clarity and direction.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 02, 2010 09:38 as a reply to  @ GMCPhotographics's post |  #144

Which is probably way cheaper than 4k

madddman wrote in post #10835479 (external link)
Not quite as easy as asking forgiveness. If I'm gonna spend 4k on my hobby, she's talking granite counters in the kitchen:D

And the US did not make that list or we have already surpassed "close to unsustainable"

tom s wrote in post #10835680 (external link)
This is why new Japanese lenses are expensive:

http://www.bloomberg.c​om …inable-debt-imf-says.html (external link)

Japan, Greece Among Nations Close to Having Unsustainable Debt, IMF Says

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

dennykyser
966 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 30, 2010 13:31 |  #145

Ok, I just got my 400 2.8L IS today, version I not II, I thought these lenses were like a year away. Did I screw up by buying mine now for $7150.00 US.

Does anyone know when they will actually be available in the US, and for what price?

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 30, 2010 15:39 |  #146

I'd say enjoy and don't look back and don't do the what if game

Just One Man's Opinion

dennykyser wrote in post #11008903 (external link)
Ok, I just got my 400 2.8L IS today, version I not II, I thought these lenses were like a year away. Did I screw up by buying mine now for $7150.00 US.

Does anyone know when they will actually be available in the US, and for what price?

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 30, 2010 15:42 |  #147

dennykyser wrote in post #11008903 (external link)

Sorry but when buying a lens of that caliber so close to the release of the update I would DEFINITELY wait! Unless you need that lens TODAY, why wouldnt you wait and get the newest version!? Canon RARELY if ever makes an update to a lens without improving it. Unless the Mark II is ridiculously more expensive youre gonna want it.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

dennykyser
966 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 30, 2010 15:51 |  #148

I really want it for football season, I purchased it from Amazon so do have a little time to return it if I want.

I probably will keep it, I have been the first to buy too many times only to have issues and have to send in to Canon, maybe will keep this a year and if the new lens is all its said to be upgrade next year giving me a year to enjoy this beast. :)

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 30, 2010 15:53 |  #149

dennykyser wrote in post #11009732 (external link)
I really want it for football season, I purchased it from Amazon so do have a little time to return it if I want.

I probably will keep it, I have been the first to buy too many times only to have issues and have to send in to Canon, maybe will keep this a year and if the new lens is all its said to be upgrade next year giving me a year to enjoy this beast. :)

Well, thats one thing for sure, lenses like these REALLY hold their value, so you will def be able to get quite a bit of your investment back! And in some cases more! Like when the 70-200 2.8 IS Mark II came out, the resale value on the Mark I WENT UP since there was such a price difference between the Mark I and Mark II and since you could no longer get the Mark I new.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 30, 2010 18:22 |  #150

ben_r_ wrote in post #11009682 (external link)
Sorry but when buying a lens of that caliber so close to the release of the update I would DEFINITELY wait! Unless you need that lens TODAY, why wouldnt you wait and get the newest version!? Canon RARELY if ever makes an update to a lens without improving it. Unless the Mark II is ridiculously more expensive youre gonna want it.

The mark II is much more expensive. It's rumored retail price is going to be around $11,000. He paid ~$7200 for an already legendary lens. Be happy, go out and shoot with your new found joy and don't look back.

As far as we know right now, the 400/2.8 II is significantly lighter than version I. So when all is said and done, he would've saved money and get a much better quality workout and get in better shape. Win win IMO. ;)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

27,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
300L 2.8 II and 400L 2.8 II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.