Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 04:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! I need three hands!

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 01, 2010 04:25 |  #1

OK, here's my interesting problem: I need to walk into a situation and be able to shoot quickly with a self-contained setup that can give me nice soft side light. I have an off-camera flash and umbrella that do nicely. But a light stand, clamp, or other fixed mount doesn't work well for several reason; I need the flexibility to move around a fair amount, and there often isn't room for extra stuff like stands.

The ideal solution would be an assistant (VALS) but I don't have one available. So I figured I could just attach the flash to the umbrella, hold it in my left hand, and shoot with my right. But I experimented with that today and discovered a couple of problems:

1. The flash plus umbrella is pretty clumsy. I need something smaller, still with soft light.
  2. I really need two hands to operate the camera. The situation requires a zoom lens (foot zoom won't work), plus left-hand support for the lens really helps me frame properly.

I tried bouncing the flash, but the light quality just isn't the same.

Has anybody else encountered a similar situation? Any suggestions on how to attack this problem without either a light stand or an assistant? Or am I stuck with bouncing?

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 01, 2010 04:32 |  #2

Curly Cord and a small Soft Box? A lot less ungainly than an umbrella...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 01, 2010 14:08 |  #3

I saw a video where a guy mounted a flash on a light pole, which was then mounted on a backpack frame and walked around taking photos with flash. It looked really dorky though :D

Another method I could think of is those rifle stocks for your cameras. It maybe easier to operate your camera with one hand, while the other operates the flash.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 01, 2010 17:53 as a reply to  @ ecub's post |  #4

Try Da Grip (Joe mcNally).

http://www.joemcnally.​com/blog/2008/03/10/da​-grip/ (external link)

I've seen him (in one of his books, i think) hold an OCF in his LEFT hand but RIGHT side of his body. Either way, the shoulder-balance thing should make it more stable.

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

gkuenning
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 01, 2010 22:00 |  #5

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10828325 (external link)
Curly Cord and a small Soft Box? A lot less ungainly than an umbrella...

Thanks, Jay. The umbrella is indeed ungainly. I just did a quick test with an improvised setup and liked the look I got; I think a small softbox will do nicely. It won't entirely solve the three-hand problem, but it will certainly make things better.

(Meanwhile, I'm going to stand next to a nuclear power plant for a while and see if I can grow that third arm...)

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 02, 2010 04:18 |  #6

Bounce flash with a black foamy thing (external link)?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 02, 2010 04:48 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #7

If you are using a speedlite, then get a small, lightweight light stand and mount it on there with a small softbox. Get some cheap wireless triggers and you won't need a third hand. They made softboxes specifically for speedlites. I hope I am reading your post correctly.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

sponsored links

1,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! I need three hands!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.