Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 17 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any last words of advice - going to Yellowstone and Tetons

Robert ­ Zurfluh
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 17, 2010 16:02 |  #1

Flying out Thursday morning - staying for 12 days - family vacation, but I hope to get away for a few sunrises and some sunsets. I am going to the most "happening National Park" for sure - with all the news lately.

Last year I spent some time in Acadia...just went Hurricane Bill came through...it was also at that time when Canon had a workshop @ Jordan Pond House
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ArticleAct&arti​cleID=1326 (external link)
- they hooked me to upgrade from my Digital Elph to a DSLR ... plus it didn't hurt that my 40th b-day was around the corner ;) and I have not been shooting anything other than P&S since the early 00's, and before that I had a simple Rebel with kit lens, the lowest cost telezoom and a low-cost wide-angle..

Long story short....I am psyched....any last words of advice before I head out? Staying in Jackson for 2 days, West Yellowstone for a week, and Signal Mountain Lodge for 3 days....very close to Oxbow Bend and I guess Snake River Overlook is not too far away. Got my polarizers, a GND filter for the 10-22, and Photomatix as well as DoubleTake when I come back.

:D

Canon5DRS,Canon7DII,EF16-35L,EF24-70IIL,EF50L,EF100LMacro,EF135L

sponsored links
tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 17, 2010 22:02 |  #2

If you can get up early and catch good weather, catching the morning light at Schwabacher's Landing is astounding. It's a quick trip in from the Jackson Hole area, and doing the sunrise shoot was probably the highlight of my two-week trip.

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

Robert ­ Zurfluh
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 18, 2010 10:29 as a reply to  @ tigerotor77w's post |  #3

cool. I will go there for the sunrise then :) What is it? Like a 10-15minute walk from the parking lot?

Any other suggestions in terms of "get there at sunrise...or better to see @ sunset" ?

Thanks.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 18, 2010 10:52 as a reply to  @ Robert Zurfluh's post |  #4

Mormon Row, Schwabacher's Landing, Oxbow Bend, Snake River are all good sunrise destinations. Mormon Row and Schwabacher are closer to the town of Jackson, Snake River and Oxbow Bend are further up the road.

Mormon Row is a must for sunrise, Schwabacher another good one. Both areas get very crowded...you'll need to get to each at least one hour before sunrise to claim a spot and get set up.

Sunset is always good at Oxbow Bend, especially when there's a dramatic sky. Same for the Snake River overlook. Again, get to each early.

Mormon Row...about a 50-yard walk from your car. Schwabacher Landing...25-yard walk from your car
Snake River...10-yard walk from your car
Oxbow Bend...10-yard walk from your car

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Robert ­ Zurfluh
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 18, 2010 20:08 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #5

Thanks!

If I manage to get some decent shots, look for it over here in 3 weeks or so ;)

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 18, 2010 21:19 |  #6

argyle wrote in post #10744141 (external link)
Mormon Row is a must for sunrise, Schwabacher another good one. Both areas get very crowded...you'll need to get to each at least one hour before sunrise to claim a spot and get set up.

I'll just add my experience (one lone experience) for Schwabacher -- we got there about a half hour before sunrise and started planning where we wanted to set up. Three people got there before us and another five or six after us, but there's plenty of trail to set up on; it depends on what composition you want. The image that I think I like best (external link) from my shoot was not taken from the same vantage point that most of the photogs congregated, so while I do recommend getting there early, I didn't have a problem keeping people or gear out of my shots.

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 19, 2010 07:17 as a reply to  @ tigerotor77w's post |  #7

Depends on luck. Because its such a popular spot, like many others in GTNP, photography workshops can arrive and congregate at any time. During my stop at Schwabacher, there had to be at least 50-75 shooters on that particular morning. Its always to best to plan on setting up at least one hour early and waiting it out. It also helps to look for venues that are off the beaten path, so to speak...less lookey-loos to deal with getting in the way of your shots.

Regarding Schwabacher...as you leave the parking area heading out, there's a hardly noticeable path that heads up river (you may see some cars parked here) maybe 100 yards or so from the Schwabacher parking area. If you head up the path, you'll come to a wide flat part of the river with visible river rock and the Tetons in the background. Great spot for shooting, takes you away from the crowds at Schwabacher...you're basically shooting in solitude. Very peaceful and serene...I had this spot to myself for a few hours one morning...

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Robert ­ Zurfluh
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 21, 2010 08:52 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #8

Schwabacher was really cool this morning. Just made it there in time for sunrise. Took several series of 7 shots (-3 to +3) to use with Photomatix upon return. Will return to Mormon Row later this afternoon.

Robert ­ Zurfluh
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 21, 2010 21:17 as a reply to  @ Robert Zurfluh's post |  #9

I have to do some better PP when I get back home to my Mac. But this was pretty. ;)
Edit: back at home, made some adjustments to the sunrise picture @ Schwabacher's Landing

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Danielson761729
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 22, 2010 06:04 |  #10

bloody hell, you have some good scenery in the states. we have good scenery here in the uk but thats awesome.
its a shame every bugger that wants to go over there with me either wants to see disneyland or bloody las vegas, the america i love is portrayed in that picture you have taken.

Robert ­ Zurfluh
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 01, 2010 18:13 as a reply to  @ Danielson761729's post |  #11

some more pictures now that I am home and have downloaded them...

Oxbow Bend Turnout and Jackson Lake

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Robert ­ Zurfluh
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 01, 2010 18:18 as a reply to  @ Robert Zurfluh's post |  #12

Cunningham Cabin and Snake river Overlook....more to come....

C&C welcomed ;)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

dlpasco
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 01, 2010 19:04 |  #13

Beautiful Robert!

Dan

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 01, 2010 19:09 as a reply to  @ dlpasco's post |  #14

If you want good animal shots, then the early morning, and the late afternoon are best. Best piece of advice.... spend some time just looking and enjoying, without the camera. Some of the best things a I saw - you simply couldn't get a photo of (without 1200mm lenses).

If you see a couple of cars pulled over - ask them what they've spotted, especially if they have spotting scopes. Most of them are very friendly, and will probably let you look thorugh, and you probably see some things that you won't see otherwise.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

Robert ­ Zurfluh
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 01, 2010 19:51 as a reply to  @ pleb1024's post |  #15

A few more for tonight.
Bear right before Lamar Valley (300mm) - Yellowstone
Yellow-bellied marmot sitting right next to the path around Jenny Lake - Grand Teton

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

3,366 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any last words of advice - going to Yellowstone and Tetons
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.