Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 30 Aug 2010 (Monday) 15:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

UK: What's Going On With CF Card Prices (SanDisk)?

Mike-DT6
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 30, 2010 15:27 |  #1

On 21st August 2009 I bought a SanDisk Extreme III 16GB CF card, which cost me £60.49. Just over a year later I look them up in order to buy a second one - expecting the prices to have fallen - and they've gone up in price! The cheapest I can find one (from a known or reputable seller) is £66.99.

What's going on here? My previous experience with anything storage memory-related is that the prices drop considerably over time.

Is there a world shortage or something?

Mike

Gear list

sponsored links
isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 31, 2010 06:04 |  #2

They released an entirely new generation of cards so basically they jacked up the prices just as they always do with any new technology. Since very little of the older stock remains in inventories merchants can pretty much price them to sell out quicker or jack the price slightly under the cost of the newer stuff. Prices probably wont fall to much until sales start to fall off which probably wont happen anytime soon with the 60D coming out.

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 31, 2010 11:16 |  #3

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #10818076 (external link)
What's going on here? My previous experience with anything storage memory-related is that the prices drop considerably over time.

Is there a world shortage or something?

Mike

Memory prices fluctuate almost daily depending upon market conditions. It's all based upon supply & demand.

I'd wait to see what happens in the Fall or early next year. Weak consumer spending during the back-to-school season has caused a few semiconductor manufacturers to lower their forecasts or narrow their guidance for the 3rd quarter and some into 1st quarter 2011. That usually equates to us (the consumer) seeing lower prices as they attempt to move inventory.

Btw, NAND flash memory prices are expected to drop from $1.20 to $1.00 per gig on SSD drives this Fall as per several articles I've seen in August.

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 31, 2010 15:34 |  #4

Thanks for your replies. I might hang on a bit longer then, unless I get desperate!

Mike

Gear list

vachss
114 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 31, 2010 23:52 |  #5

Camel Toe Coalition wrote in post #10821781 (external link)
Prices probably wont fall to much until sales start to fall off which probably wont happen anytime soon with the 60D coming out.

Somehow I don't expect the 60D to impact CF prices much...

Shultz
Lucky 13
392 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 01, 2010 01:34 |  #6

Keep an eye on camerapricebuster website as they often show retailers having offers on sandisk cards, I got my last 8gb one for half price :)

Shelton.

http://www.onebriefmom​ent.co.uk (external link)
7D ~ 17-55 f2.8 EF-S ~ 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ 50mm MK I ~ Sigma 100-300 f4 APO EX DG ~ TC x1.4 ~ Man 055XPROB & 488RC2 ~ NISSIN Di622

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 01, 2010 16:07 |  #7

vachss wrote in post #10827491 (external link)
Somehow I don't expect the 60D to impact CF prices much...

Not just the 60D but in general all these new cameras everyone is upgrading to for video and greater functionality suddenly wont find cheap 2-4GB cards to be sufficient anymore. Which means lots of new cards are going to be selling along with the new devices. Some pros buying higher end gear are more likely to already have 16-64GB cards then someone buying a 60D.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2010 22:27 |  #8

The only thing using CF is a few high end SLRs now. So the market and supply is shrinking and there is less competition.

That said, I find Kingston to be within 90% of the performance of Sandisk Extreme for a lot less money. Don't be afraid to switch brands.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 02, 2010 02:00 |  #9

Shultz wrote in post #10827908 (external link)
Keep an eye on camerapricebuster website as they often show retailers having offers on sandisk cards, I got my last 8gb one for half price :)

Shelton.

is there something similar for US markets?

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

Matholwch
100 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Sep 02, 2010 09:34 as a reply to  @ psxindo's post |  #10

7dayshop are selling the 8gb 30MB/s CF cards for £19.99 delivered - these seem difficult to find these days at a decent price for some reason.

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,962 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2010 16:41 |  #11

That sounds cheap.

I was a bit suspicious of some of the cards pictured on certain websites as the label looks different from mine. I have heard that there are a lot of counterfeit CF cards on the market.

Mike

Gear list

sponsored links

1,002 views & 0 likes for this thread
UK: What's Going On With CF Card Prices (SanDisk)?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.